Magic: 2010

Killer Joe

Magic: 2010

"During my Event Step, I will relocate my creatures to Rath and cast an Orion's Gaze; everybody take 4 damage and return all 3D figures back to your holding area. Go."

Huh? Whatinthehell is THIS!

Well, it's just a possibility (out of an infinte number of possibilities) that this is an ordinary game of magic being played at your sanitized D.G.F. = designated gaming facility (game shop).

Okay, maybe not. But, I ask all of you to allow for the possibility that in a mere eight years, this game may be totally overhauled in game mechanics and cosmetic looks.

It's true. Consider the following:
*If you played magic before 6th Edition, did you ever think there would be a major change in the game rules? I never dreamed that "The Stack" would be introduced. All I know is that I hated "Batches".
*How about the expansion symbols? Before they indicated a cards rarity via Gold and Silver, they were black, ALL of them, you had to look them up in a Scrye mag just to be sure the cards you were trading were actually rares.
*Here's one. Did you ever, in your wildest imagination, ever think that Wizards would make "Split Cards"? Not me.

Changes, all of them. Some good. Some bad. They were all changes in the pursuit of bettering the game for new comers.

Oh, yes, yes, the old timers will complain that the game was never the same since Arabian Nights, I guess Flanking was just too cutting edge for them :). But changes are the only thing that's constant in the unviverse.

It would be reasonable to say that someday, yes, someday, the game of magic will cease to be in production. I know folks have said that it'll be a classic like Chess and Go (I never heard of "GO", have you? Ha, only at the end of my opponents turn).

How much longer will this game last? As long as there are players to play it? Maybe. Probably as long as there are NEW players to play it (buy it). More people play magic now than ever before, why? It's certainly not because Wizards has kept the game stagnant, three sets a year and a core set every Leap Year takes care of that.

New mechanics/abilities help, too. Kicker, Madness, Buyback, Gating, Echo, Flashback, et al. Oh sure, there are the Golden Oldies like; Flying, Trample, Landwalk and Banding...............oh wait, hmmmmmm, Banding is no longer around...I...w..o...n....d....e.....rrrrrr why? Oh yes, because it sucked! Otherwise, why get rid of it?
<I will kindly wait for Old Timers to cuss me out thoroughly before I continue>...........

Ouch, that hurt!

Changes, it's inevitable. By the year 2010 there would have been 9 more expansion blocks and 10th Edition will be legal in Type 5 format. But how many more mechanics/abilities can they come up with? Variations on exsisting ones like, um, like Horsemanship!? Isn't that really Shadow renamed. How about Duckwalk, if opponent controls any ducks, creatures with Duckwalk are unblockable. Propostrous!? What did you first think about Flashback? Did it not just sound, look and feel a little bit like,.....BUYBACK!

Hold on, I'm gonna ask my Eight Ball a question: "Am I going to get to a point anytime soon!?" 8B: Not Likely
Wait, wait: "Am I ever going to "Q"?
8B: Not likely.
Oops, I forgot to shake it..................probably true anyways :(.

I'm sayin' two seperate things here:
1.) It is entirely possible that by the year 2010, game mechanics and the basic look of M:TG will be altered from the way we know it today.
&
2.) Just how in the devil is Wizards planning on keeping this game fresh!?

Does anyone remember about three years ago someone wrote an article in the Duelest or Inquest that Wizards was planning on doing a face change of the cards (not the backs) just so the mana symbols were easier to see when you fanned out your cards? I liked the new look, but too many people had negative responses to it and therefore it went south.

How about this; Originally, the backs of every expansion set were not only to have a different back from other sets but be altered in name somewhat too. Magic: Ice Age / Magic: Mirage etc..

As far as keeping it fresh, well, that's going to depend alot on how people's paradigm can shift. As long as your magic lenses keep showing you that change is good, then everything will be hunky- dory, if not, well then, you're probably ready to quit now.

Not to worry though, this game forged it's way through a plethora of CCG & TCG's in the early days (Spellfire, Over-Power & Net Runner) and it survived Pokemon, and now it's sailing high above Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. I'd be willing to bet that not even Wizrads new Star Wars TCG will give much competition to the game that started it all, Magic:The Gathering.

If you're under the age of 16, most likely you'll find a girlfriend or a normal hobby and eventually quit playing. The rest of us (white males living in the NorthEast between the ages of 21 to 39) will stick it out to the very end of the game (or us, whichever gives out first).

By the year 2010, I'm quite sure that flying cars will finally be here, the re-unification of Ireland will have happened and Theron Martin will be able to compete in DCI tournaments again.

One last thought. How about when the game sends off it's last expansion it re-births itself by Wizrads unleashing the ultimate Unlimited Set. It could be 10,000 cards big. The very best of the best, they could give it a new backing, a facelift for the picture/text side and they could call it:

Magic: The Ultimate Quest
$16.75 Starter Box
$5.50 Booster Packs
$20.00 Pre-Constructed Deck (Four Rares, etc....)

Comming to a Government Sponored Designated Gaming Facilitiy near you!
2010 APR 13

Later, The "O"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is this yours YJ? You should have submitted it as an article...

And where have you been? Still waiting for that PM explanation... :)

And banding was great! I still scratch my head that people seem to make it harder than it actually is...

P

Purple_jester

1. "Go" is one of the oldest games in the world, and has millions more permutations than chess. Easy to learn, difficult to master. Oh, yes. It's also a lot of fun to play.

2. Banding was a wonderful ability that suffered from its being to complex for less intelligent players to understand. Thus, they removed it to simplify the game and to leave space in the rulebook.

3. Magic can only get worse. That's because it's great the way it is now. The designers seem to have learned all of their lessons. No more excessive mana acceleration from insane artifacts and multi-mana lands (Cabal Coffers is nowhere near as bad as Tolarian Academy). No more overly powerful artifacts. No more broken combos. Invasion Block had no cards that were banned. I don't expect Odyssey Block to have banned cards either.

Just my two cents. ;)

H

Hetemti

Of course I've heard of Go. Played it, too. Quite interesting, and in my oppinion, better than Chess. And you are shaping the minds of children? :rolleyes:

Forgot to shake it? FOOL! It says right on the packaging not to shake Magic 8 Ball. While the newer ones are less apt to do so, shaking it can cause it to bubble, obscuring the icosahedral die. One time someone shook my 8 Ball, it took all my resolve to resist decking the doofus on the spot.

The new layout was shot down because it wasn't a Magic card face. It was a crappy "Lookie at my pretty graphic effects" façade just like all the other CCGs used. You know, the ones that sucked and died. (They spent all their R&D $$$ on Graphics Design :p)

I'm very disappointed in you. :p It's very simple, Magic will be produced until people quit buying it, mechanics be darned. They've already hinted the return of Buyback, and came just short of confirming the return of Cycling. The future of mechanics is the return of the good ones, and burying (oops, that's to easy to understand, must make it wordy and confusing...) destroying bad ones. They can not regenerate.

(I can't say I miss Banding or Flanking. Not that they were confusing, but becuse they made white more annoying and white sucks.)

They won't make an überunlimited because when they ship their last set, it's the LAST SET. No grand hurrah. If there's any life, they keep running off chaff rares as usual; if the pulse is gone, they pull the plug. Remember, this is Hasbro we're talking about.

B

Benja83

Why quitting magic when wizards won't produce any more sets? I don't think U have to keep buying cards just to keep the game interesting. I think if you have already a lot of cards, you have enough to keep playing it.
With all the cards that exists just until now, you have unlimited possibilities to play Magic.
Off course it's cool to see new cards now and then, but I think 1 large set in a year should do the job. Wizards just don't think about the future and tries to sell as much as it can. (What's normal - it's a companie)

Well, to me, Magic is a great game, and will be for a long time. And if Wizards is getting boring with their new sets, I'm gonna play T1 and have a lot of fun with the past

F

FoundationOfRancor

To Wizards credit, flashback is alot different than buyback (I use to think the exact opposite, but I was wrong).

I dont think they'll run out of ideas anytime soon..and if they do, no one is saying recycling old mechanics is a bad idea.

A

Almindhra

Well Mr. O, since you won't recieve emails or PM's from here, and you haven't replied to my emails, and I'm guessing you're at least reading this thread, are you going Origins?...My guess of course is no, but I would at least like to hear the frilly excuse for it this time...Remember, its in Columbus, OH, not Alaska...

Origins Info

N

Nightstalkers

Um... I resent this invasion of my personal data.

Whatever you think, this will not happen to Magic: The Gathering... At ALL!

this has been an official Nightstalkers coverup

R

Rooser

Wow, as a semi-newbie to the site it's great to be able to participate in threads that predate my membership!

Wow!

Weeeee!

Oh, wait.

I can actually shed some light on the subject of what will happen to the dedicated players when the game finally closes shop:

They will continue to play, but not forever.

This is what happened to Star Wars CCG, (The one made by Decipher, not WOTC), after they got muscled out of the business on account of actually competing successfully with Magic.

Star Wars had a large number of independent organizers putting out large-scale events for the game, so tournament support didn't die immediately. The same will likely not be true of Magic.

Eventually, to keep the game fresh, these organizers made "virtual cards." They didn't have the resources or the lawyers to print new cards, but what they did was eratta the crappy unplayable cards so that they read as something entirely different, and something entirely playable. Every few months they'd release a new "set" of say 20 errata. Players still had the option of playing with cards as they read if they wished.

These things kept the tourney scene alive for a while, but, as far as I know, it slowly died off. Magic's tourney scene death will likely come much quicker, but the depth and the breadth of the game willl probably keep casual gaming alive, potentially forever. (Decipher's Star Wars game was, for many reasons, not conducive to casual gaming at all, which frankly is why I switched over Magic).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I agree, although I predict an "independent" or new organization will step up to try to take the place of the DCI to keep the tournament scene going. Maybe change around/experiment with the formats, but without new cards, people will get bored (of tournament play). Casual play-wise, it'll probably stay a long while.

Decipher's Star Wars game was, for many reasons, not conducive to casual gaming at all
What are some of the reasons? Just curious...

T

train

It was extremely serious - and there was not multiplayer capability - teams didn't even work right...

T

train

Well... the way the rules work for gameplay - there aren't "casual" win conditions - like coin flips, or having 50 life or twenty creatures , etc...

It's basically kill - and the only way to do that was straightforward...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but those "alternate" win conditions for Magic aren't necessarily casual (I mean, if someone could get poison or Coalition Victory to work in a tourney, you bet you'd see it.

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of say, winning with a Jawa or something.

T

train

kind of funny - but jawas can be as vicious as goblins... - just cuter looking....

R

Rooser

Star Wars was less conducive to casual play for several reasons:

1) The learning curve was too high. The strategic elements of the game were incredibly complex and hard to master. This made the game much richer than Magic, to be frank, but at the same time it kept things very "serious" as train put it, which seemed anti-thetical to the higher concepts of "Star Wars."

2) The card pool was unbalanced. Though there were plenty of different deck archetypes, and room for rogue decks, you really could not get away with running less than 10-20 specific rares, all of which, due to demand, cost 10-30 dollars apiece. This is all well and good, actually, but it meant it was very hard to build more than 2 decks at a time.

3) To take this idea further, there was a big disparity in the playabiliy of cards. It seemed every card was either broken, or useless. The result? Every deck was either a tourney-worthy face-smasher, or a complete pile of junk.

Conversely, in Magic you can build an all-common beat-down deck and really stick it to the man sometimes. And you can build off-the-wall goofy and/or tribal decks, and they can be good.

Fun "tribal" type decks could certainly work in Star Wars, but only a select few "tribes" which happened to be broken, (X-wings, Smugglers, Outer Rim Scouts to name a few). I would have liked to have been able to build a Jawa deck that was worth its salt in a casual format, but that just wasn't gonna happen.

I really enjoyed the game, but at some point I realized that I had more fun borrowing magic decks and just playing with my friends, so I made the switch, and not a month too soon either.

T

train

and not a month too soon either.
I have noticed the resurgence of Star Wars packs selling at the local shop - too bad it's for collector's reasons only... no one is interested in playing it much anymore...

Personally I played only 1 game - and got my arse handed to me by Vader...