Disenchant

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Is it really getting used very much in this format? I ask merely for information (well, to tell the complete truth, also because I'm lazy about this sort of thing).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Which format? Standard?

I tend to use it in my format, Type Casual, 'cause enchantments or artifacts are always being used :)

P

Purple_jester

The answer is: No, it's not being used much, if at all.

1. Very few players will play with White. Most are playing R/G, U/G, or mono-Black.

2. Those that play with white are either W/G (aka. Enforcer) or B/W. I haven't seen Disenchant maindeck or even in the sideboard.

3. There are very few overpowering enchantments in this format. Pernicious Deed? Compulsion? Squirrel Nest? Any others?

4. Artifacts in Standard... Err... What's an "artifact?"

NOTE: This information is based on what I have seen in my own environmet and in Net articles.

I

Istanbul

Disenchant is quite possibly the most underutilized card in Type 2. Almost every deck gets some great use out of enchantments or artifacts, but almost NOBODY plays Disenchant.

G

Gizmo

There are really only two important artifacts - Millstone and Static Orb. Neither is widely played.

I run Aura Blasts ahead of Disenchants at the moment, bit even then only in the SB.

E

EricBess

Actually, there are a few others, but few, if anyone, play them. Given the current environment, Ensnaring Bridge is a beating.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Mishra's Helix is another artifact that can really oink up a game plan. Disenchant is so needed for that.

Another painful one is the Weapon from AP. WUBRG: Remove target permanent from the game. Even disenchant isn't the last of that.

C

Chaos Turtle

I have not needed a Disenchant in weeks, but I keep them in the SB to avoid nasty surprises from the occasional deck with problem artifacts.

H

Hetemti

No one plays Disenchant because it's card disadvantage too often. I miss cycling. People would play a cycling version. Instead we get conditional ones that have pointless "perks" making the cost too much to use.

Case in point (if my memory is working right), the Disenchant that let you draw cards...they made it cost 2W normal. Why not WW? It was the third mana that mattered, and the doublewhite isn't that horrible in such a dual-land infested invironment. But I'm probably wrong, afterall, I don't work at R&D...

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

In this Invasion Block 5 (69 cards) I've had for a few weeks, I went 5-1-1 at school with LW as one of the central cards. The loss was when I didn't get it out. Anyhow, it only works in 5s anyway, so your point is well taken.

G

Gizmo

But remember most decks CAN solve artifacts/enchantments... they just dont use narrow cards like Disenchant. Rushing River, Vindicate, Recoil, Pernicious Deed...

N

Namretaks

sup...

I admit disenchant isn't seen too much in type 2... never in a main deck. It is a good sideboard card in Mono white (not very powerful right now, but I've seen a few attempts). However, there is one top contending deck right now that should have 4 disenchants in it's sideboard.... Balancing Tings. That deck ROCKS! If you don't have disenchant in your sideboard you get screwed by Sacred Ground or Distructive flow sooner or later. In other decks there are too many more versitile cards to choose from... white/green has many... my favorite is Wax and Wane. Granted no artifact removal there. White/red has Orim's thunder which is very handy against pro red.... just make sure you are playing enchantments or artifacts to target in case your opponent isn't. My two cents. -Namretaks