Interpertation of a song...

D

DÛke

And so, I was dustin' off an older music album, and I came across one that I had not listened to for quite a while. Listening to it, I noticed a particular song that baffled me quite well...it may or may not have a certain meaning, but I think you guys may be able to make some sense out of it:

---

"Silent Warrior:

Long ago, for many years
White men came in the name of GOD.
They took their land, they took their lives
A new age has just begun.

They lost their GODS, they lost their smile
They cried for help for the last time.
Liberty was turning into chains
But all the white men said
That's the cross of changes.

In the name of GOD - The fight for gold
These were the changes.
Tell me - is it right - In the name of GOD
These kind of changes?

They tried to fight for liberty
Without a chance in hell, they gave up.
White men won in the name of GOD
With the cross as alibi.

There's no GOD who ever tried
To change the world in this way.
But for the ones who abuse his name
There'll be no chance to escape
On judgment day.

In the name of GOD - The fight for gold
These were the changes.
Tell me - Is it right - In the name of GOD
These kind of changes?

Tell me why, tell me why, tell me why,
The white men said:
That's the cross of changes?
Tell me why, tell me why, tell me why,
In the name of GOD
These kind of changes.

---

The "GOD"s are all capital because that's the way they appear in the lyrics booklet.

I thought about it for a bit, and I think it's about the discovery of North America...but...what really puzzles me are these phrases:

"White men came in the name of GOD."

And

"White men won in the name of GOD, with the cross as alibi."

Now this maybe a bit of a history lesson for me, but...if the song is about the discovery about North America, then I really don't understand those two phrases. I did not know that Europeans invaded "in the name of God," using the Cross as "alibi" -- is this true, or is the song talking about something else?

H

Hetemti

The lyrics are talking about how the religion symbolized by a symbol much like † is contradictory in its nature, preaching the need for piety, honor, and humility; while (ab)using the masses to their own financial and politcal gain.

In other words: the song is an expression of someone's opinion of history.

T

theorgg

One big factor in the "exploration of the new world" columbus et al did was in the name of setting up missions to "teach" the correct ways to the natives of the area(not just in America, but in places like India and South Africa, too.)

L

linsivvi

i believe it is in referenece to the christians taking over or converting the old pagan religions. And out of curiosity who wrote it? or is it by silent warrior and you didn't post the name.

D

DÛke

...The song is by Enigma. All the interpertations I've heard so far are great...they really parallel to what I know about Enigma. Thanks...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If it's about North America, I wouldn't say the French and English necessary "invaded" in the name of God, but some were escaping religious persecution from the European continent. So when they came over here, they naturally would want to set up colonies with their own religion as the mainstay.

In terms of Central and South America, I would venture to guess that the Spanish were a bit more enthusiastic about using the name of God as a basis of their trespass (and they fit the invading idea better).

A

Apollo

The settlers would use religion as an excuse a lot, and that sort of went on deep into the 19th century. Something like, "Oh, but I have to go take over those Indians' lands, so I can show them the wonder of God and make them give up their heretic ways."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I was thinking of when they first settled North America. But Manifest Destiny and the idea of the US stretching from coast to coast probably woulf fit the bill better.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Europeans have invaded Africa in the name of God since Alexander the Great (and probably before).

D

DÛke

...well...

After listening to the whole album over and over again, I re-realized that the whole theme of the album is Asian, mostly ethnic Indian. Almost each song has this ethnic theme...and with Enigma, having a common theme should tell a lot. So has India been attacked/invaded by Europeans in the past or something? Some of these questions may sound elementary, but I'm not into history at all...

T

terzarima

I beleive India was part of the british empire.... up until recently. And I beleive its name has changed to Pakistan, or maybe something else by now...

Maybe its talking about the crusades? That's an odd possibility..

D

DÛke

...India is still India. Thank god. The place is wonderful!

There seems to be a lot of religious history that I don't quite know at all...

Here's another Enigma track that I don't get *at all*:

---

"Modern Crusaders"

Don't look back
The time has come
All the pain turns into love

We're not submissive, we're not aggressive
But they think we can't defend

Stand up, join us, modern crusaders alive
We have the power to face the future
Cause we are the fighters
Just fighting for our rights

They're accusing, like always without knowing
What is just fiction or what is the truth
They have no mission, they have no passion
But they dare to tell us what's bad and what's good!

We have the power who'll face the future
Just fighting for our fights

(Latin)est affectus (Translation: Drive on)
et defectus (And weighted down)
semper in angaria (Always enslaved)

quod per sortem (Since Fate)
sternit fortem (Strikes down the strong man)
mecum omnes plangite! (Everyone weep with me!)

nunc obdurat (First oppresses)
et tunc curat (And then soothes)
ludo mentis aciem (As Fancy takes it)
egestatem (Poverty)
potestatem (Power)

We have the power who'll face the future
Just fighting for our fights

Stand up, join us, modern crusaders alive!
---

It's a religious song, that's for sure. Some Enigma fans complain about its message, some like this message. What is the probable message here?

G

Gerode

India (along with present-day Pakistan) was a British Colony from the 1700's up until after WWII. It was ruled by military force, and many of the natives were oppressed, some of that caused by Christian missionaries.

P

ponderingz

I think that the first song "Silent Warriors" is trying to emphasize the hypocrisy of men... They do all these things for GOD so that they can feel that it's the right thing to do. But when things are down, and "liberty turns to chains" then they turn their back on GOD. See, now... if they turn their back, that shows that GOD was never really their primary source of power anyway.... Bah, so when men want something that they know is wrong, they validate it with GOD... but when things are bad, they blame it on GOD and toss away the cross......

Mankind can really be poopie. >.<

As for the Indian part... It probably has a lot to do with the British conquering India in the name of GOD, but then turning their back on the country (except in terms of exports). Then Gandhi came along and.... we all know what happened. ;)

T

theorgg

Gandi, in case you arn't aware of him, either, DUkey, in complete summary Sat on his Skinny oink and did NOTHING. Thus he revolutionized protesting for the rest of time.

P

ponderingz

And it's... Gandhi.

I don't know if he just sat on his oink.. but he surely had a different way of going about things...

I guess I just don't see that as something to be critcized... besides, whether he sat on his oink or not, he irked out the British enough to get rid of them... and that was his purpose, righto?

I say it's pretty energy efficient, the way Gandhi did things.....

D

DÛke

Orggee:

Gandi, in case you arn't aware of him, either, DUkey, in complete summary Sat on his Skinny oink and did NOTHING. Thus he revolutionized protesting for the rest of time.
Oh, I'm aware of Gandhi -- I'm not that history-ignorant! :) I'm not sure, though, if I agree about the "did nothing" part...I'll have to get some facts before I even begin forming an opinion, or even listening to one. :D

And Ponderingz, your interpertation of Silent Warrior is very amusing and fulfilling. I think it's the closest thing I've heard as an interpertation for Silent Warrior -- and it's coming from a non-Enigma fan? Now that I gotta tell my Enigma-tic friends. :)

P

ponderingz

Why.. thank you.

Enigma sounds very interesting, perhaps sometime I'll pick up some of their music and check it out...

I'm glad I could amuze and fulfill.... :D I'm sure I could go into more depth on the subject... I mean, who needs sleep, righto?

PM me sometime, we can chat... ;)

Plus, I still need t' read "Modern Crusaders" and toss in the two cents...