Opinion Anybody

W

Wonka

I would like peoples opinion about this deck. Most likely ill play this deck if i get the cards for it.

4 Accumulated Knowledge
2 Brainstorm
1 capsize
4 Counterspell
4 Donate
3 Fire/Ice
4 Force Of Will
4 Illusions Of Grandeur
1 Impulse
3 Intuition
4 Merchant Scroll
4 Sapphire Medallion

14 Island
4 Shivan reef
4 Volcanic Island

Sideboard
1 Hibernation
2 Hydroblast
3 Morphling
4 Pyroblast
3 Pyroclasm
2 Stroke of genius

This is kai Buddes deck. Not taking credit to it or anything. just want to see what opinions people think about it!!!

I

Istanbul

A working Stompy or White Weenie deck should stomp this thing flat.

T

Turtlewax Joe

No body plays WW or Stompy competatively (damn shame though).

Expect to get screwed ver by all the Trix hate as well as Miracle Grow the deck designed to beat Trix. Look for the listing of Miraclle Grow that I posted on this forum a littlr while back.

T.J.:p

M

mpgsheep

Trix owns WW and Stompy, esp after boarding. Fire/Ice ruins stompy, and the combo is normally too quick. WW is a little harder, but in a PTQ i played in (5th out of 64 :)) I played against WW round 4 and he dropped a turn 2 seal. Merchant scroll for capsize, then combo. After board it just becomes silly, as against both decks you pull out the combo, and let pyroclasm and earthquake do their business. However changes i recommend u make. Firstly, run at least 2 thawing glaciers main. These are a bitch in the mirror, and v good against draw-go etc. Drop the impulse and run a stroke of genius, or an earthquake depending on your local metagame(eg control or aggro). Ruination is awesome in the board. Lastly, if u do run glaciers, then 1 mountain , maindeck instead of a shivan reef. If you want to read my report, go to www.deadnet.org.uk, and go to the magic section.

I

Istanbul

No, Trix loses to every deck.
This is due to the fact that Trix no longer works.
Well...it CAN...but if you call playing with no Ritual and only one Necro 'working', I feel sorry for you.
This deck is not Trix. I've fought Trix. I've lost (barely) to Trix.
Nevermind WW and Stompy (which would both stomp this flat), Sligh...I don't like to think about it.

M

mpgsheep

I dont think you havea clue what your talking about.

"Well...it CAN...but if you call playing with no Ritual and only one Necro 'working', I feel sorry for you. "

Ok, we are talking about extended, where yes ritual is banned, but one Necro? I think you are getting confused with type 1.

"Nevermind WW and Stompy (which would both stomp this flat), Sligh...I don't like to think about it."

Well, as I have already said, Stompy and WW tend to get crushed by a good Trix player. As for sligh, well Sligh is almost a bye for Trix. The whole "gain 20 life" clause of Illusions of Grandeur generally makes it very awkward for SLigh to deal the requisite 20 points of dmg before a trix deck goes off.

Istanbul, you seem to be talking a load of utter BS, and sorry if this seems mean but its what I think. People coming on to these boards and making comments without any proper research are starting to annoy me a lot.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think there's a better, non-inflammatory way of saying that. Specifically, "Can you be more specific in your experience that might cause your opinion to be that way", not "you're full of BS".

I

Istanbul

I'm sure glad I don't live in the UK. Players there all seem to be arrogant twits.

G

Gizmo

Well, guys - some good news and some bad news.

The good news is, you are both right about something.
The bad news is, you are both wrong about something.

I think both Stompy can be very difficult matchups for Donate, but Donate is very bad against Sligh - if you think otherwise you are wrong.
My friend played Sligh and beat 3 Donate decks in one tourney - they just dont like Sligh decks at all, because the 4 Ports and 4 Wastelands really screw them up, not to mention the 3/4 maindeck Pyroblasts and the SB Siroccos and Bottle Gnomes.

Sligh beats Donate.
Stompy can beat Donate first game, but SB Hibernation is very tough and usually game winning.
WWeenie is too slow to beat Donate, and not really existent in the field anyway.

Although Ellis Romero (Donate) beat Tu Nguyen (Sligh) in the Semi-Final at PTQ Birmingham before christmas, I was watching that match and he won the third game by a topdecking the only card in his library that would let him win on the very last turn before he died.

And the pedantic note about this being 'Trix' or not is pretty pathetic. It`s technically called 'Donate' but the whole world knows what you mean if you say 'Trix'. Especially if it`s in reference to a posted decklist.

What beats Donate most consistently are Sligh and Reanimator (second turn Crosis hurts a lot).

M

mpgsheep

no
no
no
NOOOO!!

Donate loves to play sligh!!!
I will now disprove your reasoning.

4 Ports and 4 Wastelands really screw them up, not to mention the 3/4 maindeck Pyroblasts and the SB Siroccos and Bottle Gnomes.
Wasteland is not an issue with just 8 to 10 nonbasics. Port is annoying, but then at least 12 maindeck instants can be cast in response. I haven't met anyone maindecking Pyroblasts yet, as although Donate is popular, and Finkula is also, the threat of facing reanimator, Rock and his Millions and other non blue tier 1/2 decks, means that they become dead cards in many matchups. Bottle Gnomes really aren't a problem, because after gaining 20 life from the first illusions, it is not too hard to hold their pups at bay for a fewmore turns to combo again, or find a fire/ice to do them lethal damage. Sirocco is obvioulsy awkward, but thats why Donate runs blue instants. To counter them!!

You are true in saying that stompy can beat Donate. However it is extremely unlikely, and after boarding, 4 pyroclasms and Hibernation make Game 2(and maybe 3) extremely easy for the Donate player.

I'm sure glad I don't live in the UK. Players there all seem to be arrogant twits.
We may seem to be arrogant, but thats because we know what we are talking about, and we think before we say things Istanbul. I agree with Spiderman, I probably should not have made the comment that I did, and i retract that henceforth.

I

Istanbul

There's no justification for behaving poorly. I don't care if you *do* think you know everything, remember that you might be wrong.

M

mpgsheep

I don't think that I know everything and there can be justification for behaving poorly.

I

Istanbul

I'm sorry you feel that way. In my experience, if you can't behave yourself like a civilized human being, common decency dictates that you put yourself somewhere where people don't have to experience you.
There can be explanations for behaving poorly, but not justifications.

G

Gizmo

"Wasteland is not an issue with 8-10 non-basics"

Really? Why the OINK is that? If you have 8-10 non-basics that means you will draw one. That means I`ll have a target for my wasteland. I dont care if you draw two because I probably won`t draw two wastelands.

[EDIT: Easy, Giz. Watch the four-letter words. - Istanbul]
So your statement is meaningless. If you said 'because I only have 2/3 nonbasics, then it would have made sense'.

"Port is annoying, but then yadda yadda yadda..."

Yeah but your combo cant, can it. So it will slow you a turn, or more, because the port screws you over twice if you intend on leaving mana for counters. By which time they`ve Wastelanded a land to slow you another turn, and maybe drew another Wasteland or Port to slow you another turn. All of those turns you are losing 4/5 life per turn.

And yes they DO have Pyroblasts. Lots of them.
Have you been to many PTQ`s in this season?
The Reanimator decks have been hosed out of the field virtually immediately because 60%+ of decks run 4 maindeck Phyrexian Furnace.
Ive been to two PTQs and not seen a single Rock+Millions deck.
And almost everybody is playing blue-based decks like MiracleGro, Draw-Go, Dumbo Drop, Donate, Stasis, Turboland, Oath. The only popular non-blue deck is 8-Disks, which Sligh beats the living turd out of anyway.

"Bottle Gnomes really aren't a problem, because after gaining 20 life from the first illusions, it is not too hard to hold their pups at bay for a fewmore turns to combo again, or find a fire/ice to do them lethal damage."

Cant agree there. It takes two Fire/Ice to kill them, for a start. Ellis had that problem because he Inuitiioned into his kill, got it off, but Tu was on 3 life. So Ellis then had to find either two of his Fire/Ices or his 1 remaining Donate - neither of which he could usefully find rapidly - and he was lucky to draw into his second Fire/Ice on the last turn.
And I`ve played Sligh decks which, because of Ports, have delayed the game long enough to be able to upkeep the Donate long enough to deal you 20 damage from a mixture of Pups and Fireblasts before your first kill ever goes off.

Sligh beats Donate.

Just as you think you know better than Isty I think I know better than you.

Sligh takes Donate to the toolshed and whips it like a government mule.

Killer Joe

My 3-d has beaten Donate several times, I'm packing 4 Seal of Cleansing, 2x Wax/Wane and 2 Elvish Lyrist in the main deck. It's just, ...just SO much Hate!!!!!

Getting back to Wonka, I'd be willing to bet he's only got about 50% of the cards for it and will substitute poorly for the remainder of the deck, he needs advice as to what to substitute for it :p !