Direct Superiority?

Z

Zadok001

Beer vs. Wine

Sorry, still 18. :)

Swords vs. Exile

Your opponent attacks with 6 1/1s. You are at 5. Exile removes a creature and puts you to 7, meaning you live. Swords means you die.

Rancor vs. Armadillo Cloak

Sorry, clarify... Which one of those is usually considered directly superior? :)

L

Lotus Mox

you're still 18? wth, lol @ you americans.

The only alcohol law in Germany I know of, is that someone under 16 can't buy alcoholic drinks with more than 20% alcohol :)

Beer is directly superior to Wine, for my taste at least.

Rancor vs. Armadillo Cloak:

Rancor is better if your opponent plays a disenchant, Armadillo Cloak is better if you're at 1 and the top card of your opponents library is Zap :)

J

John`O

5th ed white border Fireball is strictly inferior to
DCI alternate art black border Fireball.

Reason:
As noone can remember how Fireball works you
can normally just tap some mana, point it at your
opponents creatures and they will just place them
in the graveyard instead of admitting they cannot do
'Fireball maths'. :D

If you are using a white border version your opponent is more
likely to believe that the card cannot do something so powerful
and spend time working it out, if you show the alternate art
they will be overawed and place critters in graveyard.

John

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Ransac
Skysrhoud Beast and Blastoderm

Ransac, cpa trash man
That one's easy (I think, since I'm not really sure what you are asking). You're opponent has a Glacial Wall in play. By this answer, I assume you are referring to Skyshroud Behemoth since there is no Skyshroud Beast.

There is a Skyshroud War Beast. Then it is still easy. You opponent has a Glacial Wall and 20 non-basic lands in play.

Or maybe you mean Skyshroud Ridgeback. You only have 1 mana and just need a blocker.

BTW, Zadok, I intentionally chose one where the creature types were the same... :) Technically, "This card can be worse because it might tempt you to do something that will end up worse" is also a bit cheesy, but I can't think of anything better (save the Tsabo's Decree type where it applies) either. I assume you are trying to avoid answers of this format... :D

E

EricBess

Originally posted by fuzzy510
Tarnished Citadel vs. City of Brass
Have we stopped trying? You need exactly 4 mana to cast a spell. You have the basic lands you need for the colored portion and exactly 4 land in play, 3 basic plus one of the above that you need for colorless mana...

E

EricBess

Just thought of another one for the above... You want to use your Mirror Universe, but you can only take so much life loss a turn from mana burn... :)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Flying (Or whatever the U enchantment that gives creatures flying is) and Shimmering Wings.

Z

Zadok001

Now THERE'S a trio of more challenging ones. :) Dark Tira, you just want to annoy me, huh? Starting with the one I know off the top of my head:

Power Sink vs. Syncopate

Your opponent is playing Turbo-Fog. On his turn, he plays a Holistic Wisdom, with four mana untapped. You have an enormous supply of blue mana, as well as several creatures in play. Countering via Syncopate leaves him able to Fog, whereas using Power Sink means he won't be stopping your attack.

Flying vs. Shimmering Wings

Now, I'm going to use a stealing scenario here. But I think this one is justified, since the use of the steal is not for its primary effect.

Your opponent controls a Black Vise. You have 4 cards in your hand, and are at 1 life. At the end of his turn, your opponent uses Aura Graft to relocate your Shimmering Wings, and returns it to your hand.

Jump vs. Sapphire Charm

You know, the Charms always WERE damn-near impossible to do. :) I tried for about 20 minutes on this one, but short of some VERY dumb answers, no luck.

I

Istanbul

Jump vs. Sapphire Charm

Your opponent has a Mogg Maniac, a lot of mana, and a 2-card hand. You have a 5/5 creature in play, but you are at 4 life due to assorted burn and running your 5/5 into two of your opponent's other Mogg Maniacs. You have a card in hand: Jump, or Sapphire Charm. Your opponent casts Thermal Blast on his Mogg Maniac.

If you have Sapphire Charm: Fearing enough burn to finish you off, you cast Sapphire Charm, phasing your opponent's creature out in response. He laughs, casts Volcanic Dragon, and beats your head in with it.

If you have Jump: You grin and bear it. Your opponent plays Volcanic Dragon, you Jump your guy into the air, and play Draconic Volleyball. Spike!

I

Istanbul

That's easy. Your opponent is at 1 life, but has a Thicket Basilisk with Lure on it. You are at >2 life...say, 4. Your opponent attacks. Your only creature in play is Cloud Sprite / Flying Men.

If you have Flying Men: Your Men block and die.
If you have Cloud Sprite: Your Sprite can't block, so your opponent hits you for 2, and you kill him next turn.

L

Lotus Mox

You have 4 Mountains in play and you hold a Fireball in your hand, your opponent has a Powder Keg with 0 counters on it and is at 5, would you like to topdeck sisay's ring or sol ring?