Suicide Black w/a Splash of Red

T

Turtlewax Joe

I like the way the deck flows and it's focus is easy to handle. It's not bouncing all over trying to cover many different solutions. It's pretty straight forward: Go all out for the throat, kill a few things and don't worry about your life total unless it's in EXTREME jepordy. You may question the inclusion of Void, but it acts as the decks reset button, by the time I want to cast it I will have the mana open so no worries there. I only felt the need to plash 4 pain lands for the red portion of the deck.

Repus Edicius
4x Magott Carrier
4x Filthy Cur
4x Foul Imp
3x Ravenous Rats
3x Mindslicer
4x Pherexian Scuta

4x Unholy Strength
4x Sinister Strength
4x Duress
4x Terminate
2x Void

4x Sulferous Springs
16 Swamp

Let me know what u think. I love the foul Imps. It's fun when on turn 3 you have lost life and pained yourself down to 14, and then come back in 3 turns to win with 2 Imps: 1 Unholy strengthed, and the other with sinister stength:)

I have found a color finally that i feel natural at playing. I don't know why but black alwas seems to click for me somehow, and this deck is no different.

T.J.:p

LMK what you think guys!

W

WarWolf

I would take out either Filthy Cur or Phyrexian Scuta and put in Lava Zombies. The Zombie is ridiculous if your opponent doesn't have an answer THAT TURN. I would also take out the Voids for burn, either Rage or Ghitu Fire.

S

superguy

Well, something doesn't make sense here: you're splashing red for Terminate (and Void in lategame) which you want to be able to cast early, but only four lands that produce red mana. Without early red mana you'er going to sit early with Terminates being useless in your hand. That's definitely a problem. Also, I think that if you're going to "splash" red, Flametongue Kavu is pretty much the best thing you can get. 20 Lands doesn't seem enough if you're also running Mindslicer, Scuta and Void. Instead of Filthy Cur I would use Hate Weaver (better even as 2/1 and with Flametongue you can even use its ability once in a while) or Shivan Zombie if you're going to splash a bit more red. Or even Rotting Giant. But then if you're going to splash more red, you might as well use Blazing Specters/Skizziks/Rages, etc., so its kind of a loop. If you want to keep close to the design, I'd suggest this:
(rough, untested design, a starting point)
(I tried to keep it cheap, but assumed you can get Scutas as they were in the original design)

4x Duress
4x Terminate
3x Firebolt
4x Fire/Ice
2x Void

4x Shivan Zombie
2x Rotting Giant
2x Hate Weaver
4x Vicious Kavu
4x Phyrexian Scuta
4x Flametongue Kavu

4x Sulfurous Springs
2x Shadowblood Bridge (not all that bad in here, actually)
9x Swamp
9x Mountain

I'm not really sure about Vicious Kavu, but this deck looks like it can actually utilize it. Kinda like turn three Vicious Kavu, turn four Flametongue the blocker and serve. If doesn't work out well, it can be replaced with more two-drops, or Pyre Zombie. If protection from color is a huge concers, you can drop Giants for something else(Goblin Raider, Ravenous Rats, etc.) and add Barabrian Rings. Some sideboard ideas:

Mindslicer
Slay
Disorder
Price of Glory
Phyrexian Arena
Crypt Angel

There's probably more anti-creature stuff Im missing. Anyways, good luck with the deck, I hope I helped :)

T

Turtlewax Joe

You brought up some valid points there superguy. I don't really want to spash that much red because then it would end up being Machine Head, and I don't want that. I'm trying to come up with a mono color version, but t keeps leading me back to Terminate instead of Dark Banishing. I like the way Terminate can handle Monger and such but I like the Mana consistency that Dark Banishing brings to the table. I'll have to test that. I tried to splash more red at one time for Flametongues, but it wasn't right.
I came up with this version last night:

4x Maggot Carrier
4x Spineless Thug
4x Foul Imp
4x Filthy Cur
3x Ravenous Rats
4x Phyrexian Scuta

4x Unholy Strngth
4x Sinister Strength
1x Ostracize
4x Duress
4x Terminate

4x Sulferous Springs
16 Swamp

I don't really like the red splash though. Maybe I could put FTK's in there somehow to make it more of a second color. I thought of another version also:

4x Maggot Carrier
4x Foul Imp
4x Spineless Thug
3x Ravenous Rats
4x Phyrexian Scuta
4x Flametongue Kavu

4x Unholy Strngth
4x Sinister Strength
1x Ostracize
4x Duress
4x Terminate

4x Sulferous Springs
4x Mountain
12x Swamp

I like that better than the first actualy. I ended up ditching the mindslicer cos...well it stinks quite frankly.

I like Ostracize because it can yank creatures before they hit the board. FTK is great because it is removal AND a creature. I don't have to play dark Banishing now or Filthy Cur. A 2/2 for two mana is powerful but with a draw back so great it becomes unplayable

LMK what you think, thanx.

T.J.:p