Decent, Non-Pricey Rares for 5-Color - Lands

D

Dune Echo

And onto the lands, this will be a short list... You're either already using City of Brass, Undiscovered Paradise, and the multitude of dual lands and their various incarnations. What lands are rare that you could possibly use that you aren't already?

Meteor Crater, Land, Planeshift Rare, Illus. John Avon
T: Choose a color of a permanent you control. Add one mana of that color to your mana pool.
Legend has it that meteor craters are haunted by the ghosts of those who died on impact.
I seriously question putting this on my list, but hey, if you get Sliver Queen into play, it's better than a City of Brass.

That's all from the newest sets. Anyone think of some older cards? Rath's Edge is an idea.

M

Mikeymike

Terminal Moraine, its not Thawing Glaciers but it does clean your mana (and shuffle your deck, hooray!)

Volrath's Stronghold is an old favorite of mine.

Keldon Necropolis is pretty good too.

Reflecting Pool

Deserted Temple depending on your other lands (works well with Maze of Shith, Gaea's Cradle, Thawing Glaciers, and more)

And I'm dying to get Winding Canyons to work successfully.

D

Dune Echo

Originally posted by Mikeymike
Keldon Necropolis is pretty good too.
I disagree here. You're paying 4R plus the investment into the creature's casting cost itself. Rath's Edge is only 4, and costs a land which, yes, you only get one per turn, but it is free and uncounterable.

H

Hetemti

"If you get Sliver Queen into play, it's better than City of Brass"

If you get Sliver Queen into play, do you need a City of Brass? Prolly not.

C

CHA1N5

or...

All your color are belong to us.

or...

We get mana!

___

Man Lands... aren't they all uncommon? If someone is charging more than a dollar for a single manland... walk away.

But we're talking about rares:

hmmm... affordable, rare lands that don't suck... hmmm....

Tarnished Citadel? bah.

Pain Lands? Only if you can get them for $1-2... good luck

Odyssey Filter lands? Their actually not bad... just pay attention to what "sort" of casting costs your spells in those colors have. For instance, if all of your Red spells cost only R... don't bother with a red fiter land (duh).

Homelands tri-la..... nevermind.

City of Traitors(Ancient Tomb): These guys are pretty useful if you're playing a mono-brown, fattie or combo deck. Sort of like cheating if you win the turn you play one :)

Kjeldoran Outpost: if you have mad Plains to support it, this is a house.

Lake of the Dead/Soldevi Extcavations: see Outpost

Rainbow Vale: this is pretty sweet, and the drawback is no big... oh... wait.... ooooooh... RainBOW Vale. nevermind.

Lotus Vale: use at your own risk. If you're planning to win the turn you play this, go for it. If you can't live with giving your opponent a 3 for 1, stay away. Useful for casting things like Necro, Lich, Seismic, Clorophant ;)

Dustbowl: invaluable in 5. Many veterans don't build 5's without 4 Dustbowl.

Thran Quarry: if you're playing heavy creatures, this will probably rock. Again, if you're not afraid to add card-advantage to your opponent's removal.

Undiscovered Paradise: pretty useful... give it a try. Especially if you are playing a low-CC deck.

Captain Obvious Says, "Use Lands!"

CHA1N5

___
Picture a scrubby Brad Pitt holding a Tundra toward the camera. :p