Decent, Non-Pricey Rares for 5-Color - Green

D

Dune Echo

I want to list decent, cheap green rares for the newbie players of 5-Color. I'm focusing on the more recent sets, but feel free to list older cards or argue with some of my choices.

Anavolver, 3G, Creature — Volver 3/3, Apocalypse Rare, Illus. Matt Cavotta
Kicker 1U and/or B If you paid the 1U kicker cost, Anavolver comes into play with two +1/+1 counters on it and has flying. If you paid the B kicker cost, Anavolver comes into play with a +1/+1 counter on it and has “Pay 3 life: Regenerate Anavolver.”
I'm not too fond of this 'volver actually. Albino Troll just seems better overall. Mahamoti Djinn is just a better flyer for the 6 cc range.

Holistic Wisdom, 1GG, Enchantment, Odyssey Rare, Illus. Rebecca Guay
2, Remove a card in your hand from the game: Return target card from your graveyard to your hand if it shares a type with the card removed this way. (The card types are artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land and sorcery.)
These are actually fairly cheap considering and they are well worth the price. Note that they are restricted.

New Frontiers, XG, Sorcery, Odyssey Rare, Illus. Ron Spencer
Each player may search his or her library for up to X basic land cards and put them into play tapped. Then each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.
Spreading a blanket of growth to warm a weary world.
An idea for domain-style decks if you don't mind giving your opponent an advantage too.

Quirion Dryad, 1G, Creature — Dryad 1/1, Planeshift Rare, Illus. Don Hazeltine
Whenever you play a white, blue, black, or red spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Quirion Dryad.
“Never underestimate the ability of natural forces to adapt to unnatural influences.” -Molimo, maro-sorcerer
This is possible if you have a smooth mana base and are playing heavily into other colors besides green.

Restock, 3GG, Sorcery, Invasion Rare, Illus. Daren Bader
Return two target cards from your graveyard to your hand. Remove Restock from the game.
“We hid such stockpiles all over Rath. We should continue that practice here.” —Lin Sivvi
Again, this card is restricted for a reason.

These are the green cards I came up with. Can anyone else think of anything older that would be decent yet easily given up if lost in ante?

K

krichaiushii

Non-pricey is a bit subjective, but here goes:

Defense of the Heart - Urza's something

Sylvan Library - Legends and white bordered edition

Mirri's Guile - Tempest

The first lets you fetch creatures, while the other two let you dig into your library. I might be wrong on the commonality of Sylvan Library.

C

CHA1N5

or...

The origins of Tangarth's Glare

_____

In my circles, we call Tangarth's Glare, "Mirri's GuileStorm"

All kidding aside, there is a good reason to use Sylvan over Mirri's Guile: with Sylvan, you are actually drawing the cards... if you can find a way to replace those draws, you don't have to put any of the cards back (the "drawback" of the ability).

Abundance is a popular choice. Pursuit of Knowledge, however, provides a similarly broken effect. Forbidden Crypt is a tasty treat with a Sylvan as well. Who doesn't like 3 Regrowths every draw step?

Defense of the Heart is a really nasty trick to play on an opposing creature deck. Auramancer is particularly funny to grab. (sorry for repeating myself from a previous post.)

Other quality Green cards:

Recycle: there are those who have called for its restriction in 5. I don't yet agree, but it is a testament to it's power in the right deck.

Ritual of Subdual: the same popular deck that abuses Recycle is known for a soft lock with the Ritual.

Aluren: in the right build, this can give you a totally unfair advantage.

Poacher: especially in conjunction with a particular brand of white creatures, this guy can fetch W's for you.

(that's "Wins")

Argothian/Verduran Enchantress: haven't heard anything about popular decks with these, but a base-green/heavy enchantment deck could work, since many of Green's best cards are enchantments.

Eladamri's Call: will probably get it's turn is Dune Echo starts a "Cheap Gold Rares" thread... but you get the point.

Bearscape: this is mad.

City of Solitude: in the absence of combo, this card is just good against control decks.

Hidden X: they're not all rares, but many of these situational guys are easily activated in this diverse format.

Night Soil: kinda like Bearscape, but you trade creature power for eliminating your opponent's creature recursion.

Pattern of Rebirth: unrestricted tutor that puts the creature into play. It's mad fun.

I guess I'll stop there...

CHA1N5