5-Color: Lotus Mox's deck

D

Dune Echo

Went ahead and copied this to a new thread so that we can post separate comments for his deck.

Today I assembled my first 5 deck.

Here's what I build:

white|18
1 Radiant, Archangel
1 Sunscape Battlemage
1 Lightning Angel
1 Soulcatcher
1 Blessed Orator
2 Devout Witness
4 Seal of Cleansing
4 Hobble
2 Eladamri's Call
1 Armageddon

blue|65
4 Cloud Sprite
4 Cloudskate
4 Dream Thrush
4 Rishadan Airship
1 Cloud Spirit
4 Troublesome Spirit
1 Thought Devourer
4 Air Elemental
4 Stronghold Zeppelin
4 Thieving Magpie
3 Drifting Djinn
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Opt
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Unstable Mutation
1 Trade Routes
4 Fire/Ice
2 Rushing River
2 Opposition
2 Fact or Fiction
1 Concentrate
1 Zur's Weirding
2 Ancestral Memories
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Confiscate
1 Prophetic Bolt

black|20
1 Crypt Angel
2 Phyrexian Scuta
1 Divining Witch
4 Terminate
4 Unholy Strength
4 Sinister Strength
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Diabolic Intent
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Rhystic Tutor

red|30
4 Flametongue Kavu
2 Tahngarth, Talruum Hero
1 Thunderscape Battlemage
1 Rakavolver
1 Two-Headed Dragon
4 Arc Lightning
4 Pyrotechnics
2 Engulfing Flames
2 Firebolt
1 Gamble
1 Obliterate
1 Earthquake
1 Fault Line
3 Breath of Darigaaz
1 Fireball
1 Shower of Coals

green|18
4 Gaea's Skyfolk
4 Quirion Explorer
1 Thornscape Battlemage
3 Rancor (haven't found my 4th one)
4 Hull Breach
2 Harrow

artifact|15
4 Chimeric Idol
4 Chromatic Sphere
3 Braidwood Sextant
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Power Matrix
1 Citanul Flute
1 Skyship Weatherlight

land|97
1 City of Brass
2 Shivan Reef
1 Darkwater Catacombs
1 Keldon Necropolis
4 Terminal Moraine
2 Crosis's Catacombs
4 Urborg Volcano
4 Elfhame Palace
2 Coastal Tower
3 Faerie Conclave
2 Ghitu Encampment
3 Drifting Meadows
2 Slippery Karst
4 Polluted Mire
3 Remote Isle
4 Smoldering Crater
27 Island
14 Mountain
6 Swamp
5 Forest
5 Plains

=265 cards

My collection is not really big and more centered around newer cards, therefore I'm missing quite a few key cards (e.g. Enlightened Tutor, Contracts, Swords, good non-basic lands etc.)

D

Dune Echo

I'll very quickly point out a few cards that I think are good or need attention. I just am short on time. I'll look at this more completely later.

white|18
1 Radiant, Archangel - Great synergy with your creature choice. Could also hurt your opponent for playing flyers.
1 Sunscape Battlemage - Not bad. Unfortunately, this is the weakest of the Battlemages. At least she's a card drawer if you consider her a double-cantriped 2/2 creature that costs 4WU.
1 Lightning Angel - Beat stick! You can conceivably cast this creature with your color base too.
1 Soulcatcher - Kabal Ghoul for flying creatures, more synergy.
1 Blessed Orator - Hm... Defensive... May want to consider Academy Rector instead still.
2 Devout Witness - Reliquary Monk is kinda fun for this type of job. Have you tried it? Aura Shards is another fine idea too.
4 Hobble - I would strongly recommend you play Swords to Plowshares instead of this. Creature enchantments are just too fragile for this format and you really don't want to give your opponents more targets for their Dismantling Blows, trust me.
1 Armageddon - Maximize these.

blue|65
4 Cloudskate - Blue's Ball Lightning.
4 Dream Thrush - I'm not too keen on these. Most of your creatures are flying.
4 Troublesome Spirit - These I'm not too fond of because you really want to be able to play spells during your opponent's Cleanup Step.
1 Thought Devourer - If you're able to play out your hand fast enough, these are great, counter-productive for Contract from Below though.
4 Air Elemental - Change this to Morphling if you can.
4 Stronghold Zeppelin - Change this to Phantom Monster or Roc of Kher Ridge. or even more Rishadan Airships.
3 Drifting Djinn - Change this to Mahamoti Djinn.
1 Trade Routes - "All lands have Cycling 1."
2 Ancestral Memories - This will be difficult to cast.

red|30
4 Arc Lightning - Incinerate is much better.
4 Pyrotechnics - Arc Lightning is 1 less damage for 2 less mana.
2 Engulfing Flames - Both Incinerate and Firebolt are better than this.
2 Firebolt - You may want to max these or change them to Lightning Bolts.
1 Shower of Coals - I don't recommend this because of the double red in the cc, but it could be useful. I, personally, would prefer more Prophetic Bolts.

green|18
4 Quirion Explorer - I'm not too fond of these guys because they don't seem to work for me so well.
1 Thornscape Battlemage - Maximize these.
4 Hull Breach - Congrats for being the first person to put this one up! Hull Breach is a killer, even at Sorcery speed.

artifact|15
3 Braidwood Sextant - I think that there should be better options for these, Land Grant for example.

Nice job on your artifacts, by the way.

I'll look at your mana base later. The Darkwater Catacombs aren't great for 5 because they're rather narrow. I would consider something else if possible.

L

Lotus Mox

Originally posted by Dune Echo
I'll very quickly point out a few cards that I think are good or need attention. I just am short on time. I'll look at this more completely later.

white|18
1 Radiant, Archangel - Great synergy with your creature choice. Could also hurt your opponent for playing flyers.
1 Sunscape Battlemage - Not bad. Unfortunately, this is the weakest of the Battlemages. At least she's a card drawer if you consider her a double-cantriped 2/2 creature that costs 4WU.
1 Lightning Angel - Beat stick! You can conceivably cast this creature with your color base too.
1 Soulcatcher - Kabal Ghoul for flying creatures, more synergy.
1 Blessed Orator - Hm... Defensive... May want to consider Academy Rector instead still.
2 Devout Witness - Reliquary Monk is kinda fun for this type of job. Have you tried it? Aura Shards is another fine idea too.
4 Hobble - I would strongly recommend you play Swords to Plowshares instead of this. Creature enchantments are just too fragile for this format and you really don't want to give your opponents more targets for their Dismantling Blows, trust me.
1 Armageddon - Maximize these.
-Hobble is my Swords token, until I get them I'll have to use this, at least it's a cantrip
-I completely forgot about my 2 Mother or Runes, they'll replace the Battlemage and Orator.
blue|65
4 Cloudskate - Blue's Ball Lightning.
4 Dream Thrush - I'm not too keen on these. Most of your creatures are flying.
4 Troublesome Spirit - These I'm not too fond of because you really want to be able to play spells during your opponent's Cleanup Step.
1 Thought Devourer - If you're able to play out your hand fast enough, these are great, counter-productive for Contract from Below though.
4 Air Elemental - Change this to Morphling if you can.
4 Stronghold Zeppelin - Change this to Phantom Monster or Roc of Kher Ridge. or even more Rishadan Airships.
3 Drifting Djinn - Change this to Mahamoti Djinn.
1 Trade Routes - "All lands have Cycling 1."
2 Ancestral Memories - This will be difficult to cast.
- I think I need the Dream Thrush cause my mana base is a tad shaky
- Phantom Monster? I need some of them and more Cloud Spirits! Shouldn't be too hard to get them, unlike Morphling or Serendib Efreets
red|30
4 Arc Lightning - Incinerate is much better.
4 Pyrotechnics - Arc Lightning is 1 less damage for 2 less mana.
2 Engulfing Flames - Both Incinerate and Firebolt are better than this.
2 Firebolt - You may want to max these or change them to Lightning Bolts.
1 Shower of Coals - I don't recommend this because of the double red in the cc, but it could be useful. I, personally, would prefer more Prophetic Bolts.
-I really should acquire more older cards :eek:, I removed 2 Pyrotechnics and replaced the Engulfing Flames with 2 more Firebolts.
green|18
4 Quirion Explorer - I'm not too fond of these guys because they don't seem to work for me so well.
1 Thornscape Battlemage - Maximize these.
4 Hull Breach - Congrats for being the first person to put this one up! Hull Breach is a killer, even at Sorcery speed.
-added 3 Battlemages, an Assault/Battery, a Sterling Grove and an Aura Shards for the Explorers and Harrows.
artifact|15
3 Braidwood Sextant - I think that there should be better options for these, Land Grant for example.
-Land Grant is unfortunately not so good w/o duals
-added a Memory Jar to my list of artifacts
Nice job on your artifacts, by the way.

I'll look at your mana base later. The Darkwater Catacombs aren't great for 5 because they're rather narrow. I would consider something else if possible. [/B]
The one time I drew the catacombs they helped me quite a bit, so it stays for now, until it screws me.
My mana base needs some work though, if anyone wants to donate some duals or pain-lands, PM me. ;)

C

CHA1N5

or...

When is Moat aggo?

I have to say that this is another excellent first 5 :) I like the creatures choices and the only issue I have with your card choices is the fact that you haven't commited more to this theme. :)

Perhaps you do not have more, but I think that more Earthquakes and Breath of Darigaaz would be great. Also, a Moat would be really tech in this deck... either the original version or Teferi's.

Otherwise, I have a couple of observations:

Sleight of Hand & Opt really should be better cards. Impulse is the choice of a new generation... Worldly Counsel Might not be amazing in a deck with no duals, but with two (different) basic lands out, it's a superior Opt. If you don't agree, at least try Brainstorm for me.

Land Base: so, does every land in your deck come into play tapped? It appears so. Judging by the numbers of certain lands, I'd say you don't have much choice... but if you're interesting in upgrading, I'd suggest Gemstone mines as an inexpensive place to start. Barring that... some more Dragon Lairs Might be in order.

You have a lot of great card choices, so I'd say play some 5 and have fun! You'll find out what works for you and what doesn't.

CHA1N5

L

Lotus Mox

Unfortunately I don't have any more good quake effects, unless you count Tremors as such ;)

I added some more Lairs, and replaced the Opts and SoH's with Brainstorms and Probes.

I also found my 2 Mahamoti Djinns!

Thanx for the input :)

C

CHA1N5

Phat Moti doesn't suck.

Hope you get to play some games!

CHA1N5

K

krichaiushii

Though it costs RR3 to cast, what about Subterranean Spirit for an Earthquake effect? While its only 1 point, its usuable turn and turn again. Perhaps even Warmonger. While its probably a safe assumption that an opponent will try to kill the Warmonger with its own ability, doing so will also remove much of the groundbound chaff from the game.

Is the Homelands Enchant World Serra's Aviary worthwhile in here? I ask because of all the flyers.

As a side note, I'm thinking that this format could be much fun, indeed...

C

CHA1N5

Perhaps even Warmonger. While its probably a safe assumption that an opponent will try to kill the Warmonger with its own ability, doing so will also remove much of the groundbound chaff from the game.
Warmonger is some good tech. Good Beater that will at the very least force your opponent to tap 6 and quake for 3. If you're not perpetually behind on life, this guy might be a stick.

Is the Homelands Enchant World Serra's Aviary worthwhile in here?
3W
All creatures with flying get +1/+1

Sounds like a decent card, but I'd play Glorious Anthem instead. That is, unless you have too much trouble with the WW.

As a side note, I'm thinking that this format could be much fun, indeed...
It is much fun!

Give it a try and see.

CHA1N5

L

Lotus Mox

white|18
1 Radiant, Archangel
1 Lightning Angel
1 Soulcatcher
2 Mother of Runes
2 Devout Witness
4 Seal of Cleansing