Extended - "Creatureless" Sligh for Local Metagame...

R

Rando

There is a local extended tournament comming up, and from what I've seen, 90% of the people are going to be playing some type of Oath deck.

So, just to be different, I what to play a horribly meta-gamed deck. Tell me if I'm doing any good here, and sine I've not played Extended in over a year, please tell me if there are any cards that are now illegal in my list, and what I can replace them with. The idea is to never have a creature on the board to let them use thier Oath.

Do realize that I have no idea what I'm doing...

4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Ball Lightning
4 Skizzik
4 Chemeric Idol
4 Viashino Sandstalker

4 Urza's Rage
3 Hammer of Bogarden
4 Incinirate
4 Fire Blast
3 Shock

4 Rishadan Port
18 Mountains

K

krichaiushii

I'm not sure what's legal in extended, but I reckon that assorted Man-Lands, as well as artifacts that become creatures for a bit then become artifacts again (ala' Jade Statue) might work to your advantage.

Just a thought. Well, two thoughts, actually.

Then again, I could read your decklist more closely, and note that you've got the artifact thing covered...

R

Rando

Mmmm...yes...the Urza's lands...forgot about those.

Might put them in there...

Z

Zadok001

Wasteland could very well be superior to the Port. I wouldn't want to run BOTH, but you might want to try the other.

R

Rando

Ah...yes...Wasteland...that would be better.

More! More! I must have more!

K

krichaiushii

If you really want to metagame, you could always splash white or green for Purify or Tranquility (and its ilk). The Purify would zap your artifacts, though. And at 3WW its a tad more than splashing.

Cleanse could be amusing, too. Again, though, its more than a splash.

Oh, and I believe it is the Mishra's Lands you meant to say.

Though it would dilute your color base, using Treetop Villages would allow for potential green nastiness, such as the aforementioned Tranquilities. And by playing green, you may cause some opponent(s) to think that you are playing Oath as well...

Just another thought.

D

Dune Echo

//NAME: Anti-Oath Sligh
// Black (10):
4 Duress
2 Forsaken Wastes
4 Innocent Blood
// Red (26):
4 Ball Lightning
4 Fireblast
4 Incinerate
4 Mogg Fanatic
2 Seal of Fire
4 Viashino Sandstalker
4 Urza's Rage
// Artifacts (4):
4 Cursed Scroll
// Lands (20):
4 Badlands
4 Barbarian Ring
5 Mountain
3 Swamp
4 Wasteland
// Sideboard:
SB: 3 Anarchy
SB: 3 Perish
SB: 3 Phyrexian Negator
SB: 4 Pyroblast

I

I8Piggo

Viashino Cutthroat and Viashino Sandscout are both pretty good. The problem is that drawing a lot of Viashinos at once is bad. But I think the best solution would be to play a Draw-Go deck against it. Tons of countermagic, and Rainbow Efreets and Faeire Conclaves for finishers. Or does Oath have some way to beat denial decks that I don't know about?

O

olwen

There's an interesting article on Starcity today with the same idea:

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/expandsub.php?Article=2245

Using that as a base, maybe the following with maindeck Phyrexian Furnace?

4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Ball Lightning

2 Phyrexian Furnace
4 Cursed Scroll
4 Seal of Fire
4 Firebolt
4 Shock/Pyroclasm
2 Price of Progress
4 Incinerate
3 Hammer of Bogardan
3 Fireblast

4 Barbarian Ring
18 Mountain

sideboard
1 Phyrexian Furnace
4 Pyroblast
1 Price of Progress
3 Scald
3 Bottle Gnomes
3 Anarchy

There is no artifact removal against Null Rod/Winter Orb/..., might have to tweak the sideboard for that.