Odyssey - Artwork

Z

Zadok001

Odyssey has been out for quite some time, now. We've all played with our shiny new cards. Maybe some of you have opened cool foils (me? Is anyone interested in a foil Wayward Angel or Burning Sands? Didn't think so.). What's your over-arching impression of the artwork? Good? Eye-damaging? Improvement over Apocalypse? Or are you just glad you'll never have to see another picture of Gerrard? :)

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I like the artwork, and I think everyone is glad they don't have to see gerrard's ugly mug.

T

theorgg

It's improved from Masques block... Invasion had some of it's times, most notably the lands. I think that the art is now getting a bit better, but nowhere around the Mirage/Visions bith and wredth of artwork. I havn't seen Phil Foglio or Ian miller for a LONG time, so I've still got to wait for my favourite artists to return to the fold...

A

arhar

Well, John Avon's art is amazing, as always :D Let me tell ya, foil Barbarian Ring, Angelic Wall, Caustic Tar, Cephalid Coliseum and the rest look AWESOME!!! :)

M

Mikeymike

Favorite artwork in the set has to go to Shelter, done by Chris Moeller. I know, I'm a pig. A close second is Childhood Horror.

Other artwork I like (looking at the Ody. picture spoiler - hey I'm bored)
Wayward Angel (I'm interested in the foil Zadok, what do you value her at?)
Angelic Wall
Aven Cloudchaser
Devoted Caretaker
Kirtar's Wrath (rock on Kev Walker)
Pianna (rock on D.A.G.)
Sphere of Law
Careful Study
Time Stretch
Unifying Theory
Gravestorm
Innocent Blood
Rotting Giant
Stalking Bloodsucker
Battle Strain
Flameburst
Kamahl and his Desire
Krosan Avenger
Nut Collector
Overrun
Roar of the Wurm
Volcanic Dragon (great color usage)
Mirari (this one will be a classic)
Centaur Garden
Deserted Temple
Mossfire Valley

And a lot of the basic lands

All in all, I think the artwork is good, but there aren't as many real standouts for my tastes as I'd like, but I'm picky too.

F

fuzzy510

Ready for this?

I haven't bought a booster since Planeshift.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Istanbul
The Foglios were my favorites. I miss them. :(
Word.

I haven't seen the artwork really, so I can't comment. But I also haven't bought a booster since URZA'S SAGA! Although I might break down and get one, just one... ;)

R

rkoelsch

Mikeymike- Where did you find the picture spoiler?

Zadok I am also interested in the Foil Wayward Angel or a non foil one? Unfortunately I have only bought a few packs of Odysessy and don't have any foil rares yet.

ps I am also another big fan of the Foglio's

T

terzarima

Did I find that site? Maybe I just told people after MTGnews put it up. There's a much better site that I think spidey recommended. http://www.magiclore.com . Its got every picture of every card.

But anways, its time to do a very breif chat on art.

The art in Odyssey is great, but not outstanding. Too much Adam Rex (Whose art style I dislike) and some new people are the cause. Not saying that the new people are bad, or in anyway bad artists, but they're art isn't terribly jaw drooping.

The Spheres, done by Christopher Moeller are quite good, expecially sphere of law.

I think I might do an Odyssey Art review, but my time is short.... Stupid school.... I slept in.

Ademis22

M

Mikeymike

That was me :D, glad to see we are using each other's resources.

T

terzarima

Man, we're good Mikeymike.

Hey Admins, how would an art review do for the Cpa, would it fly? Or should I just keep my opinion to myself?

I

Insane_Penguin

"Wuv Muffin"....*shudders*

Steals all the Wuv Muffins ever to be printed, sells them and buys a black lotus

Happy:D