Chronicle Set

C

cbearsbro

Been going through all the cards I've picked up in various auctions etc. Chronicle cards are the white bordered versions of the Legends, Dark, Antiquities, etc... cards, right? (as opposed to the black bordered originals?) Is that the only distinction?

Z

Zadok001

That's how to recognize them, yes. There are other distinctions (changed wording, new symbols (I _think_)), etc, but the easiest way to recognize them is just "Ooh! Legends with white border!" etc...

Melkor

That's not 100% reliable though because Anthologies stuff is also white border with the original expansion symbol.

G

Goku

I don't think it really matters, though. It's just a white bordered version of the same card... last time I checked, there was almost no prive variation.

I

Istanbul

There's a MASSIVE price variation.

Look up a Chronicles City of Brass.
Okay, now go look up an Arabian Nights City of Brass.

Chronicles are characterized by:
1) Being reprints of earlier cards
2) Being white-bordered
3) Having the appropriate expansion symbol from the set in which it was originally printed (trivia: Wall of Shadows was from Legends, but is misprinted in Chronicles as being from Antiquities)

C

cbearsbro

Originally posted by Istanbul
There's a MASSIVE price variation.

Look up a Chronicles City of Brass.
Okay, now go look up an Arabian Nights City of Brass.

Chronicles are characterized by:
1) Being reprints of earlier cards
2) Being white-bordered
3) Having the appropriate expansion symbol from the set in which it was originally printed (trivia: Wall of Shadows was from Legends, but is misprinted in Chronicles as being from Antiquities)
Thanks, everyone. Now I can tell what I'm working with for trades, etc.. :D

You know, I did notice that one about Wall of Shadows. Went :confused: when I first saw it and tried to match it up with the few black bordered Legends I have. It's not nice to mess with a newbie's mind :p

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

In response to Melkor's statement, here are some guidelines for telling Anthologies cards and Chronicles cards apart.

The copyright date on Chronicles cards is 1995.
The copyright date on all Anthologies cards, regardless of what sets they were pulled from, is 1993-1998.
Also, Chronicles cards have the "old look" shared by all cards before Mirage, when I presume they redid some of the art. All Anthologies cards have the "newer look."
(In the old look, power/toughness numbers are smaller, and most of the mana symbols look different.)

Most Chronicles cards aren't worth diddly-squat compared to their counterparts in the first four sets from which cards were pulled (Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, and The Dark).
As far as I know, Anthologies cards are worth almost nothing.

G

Goku

Sorry for the misinterpretation... (hey, it was 3 in the morning)
I meant that there's no real price variation between Chronicles and Anthologies versions of a card. I know that black border is just about always worth more... when I put that up, I was referencing the reply above mine.

H

Hetemti

Gok? Are you toking the crack or what? Don't make me get my Pimp Slap Glove™.
Of course there is a difference between Chronicles and Anthologies versions of a card...none of the cards in Chronicles were printed in Anthologies! (Lest a Slippery Pete snuck in by being printed in Mirage/Rath as well as a Pre-Cycle expansion)

C-bear: If you want cards to PLAY, get chronicles because they're cheap. If you want cards to collect, get the original prints, and pay out the large intestine because they're old and black-boardered.

But remember, there's only a couple good Chronicles cards...City of Blue Metal and Tarzan Djinn. Perchance a few others. Anthologies has Painlands. Gobble 'em up.

And about The City, sure, the original's expensive, but compare Chron to 4th edition, 5th edition, 6th edition, or nonfoil 7th. All around $4. $2 if you can find a deal.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

You are right in that no cards were pulled from Chronicles to be put into Anthologies - they were pulled from their original sets. I'm not sure if they specifically took no cards which were in Chronicles to Anthologies, but that seems plausible.
But for a layman it can be very easy to mistake a Chronicles card from the first four sets and an Anthologies card pulled from the first four sets.
(I think there's not any danger of the "'Slippery Pete'" thing... I think the only card from the first four sets to be reprinted in a blackbordered expansion (obviously exculding foil 7th) was Presence of the Master, which appeared in Urza's Saga and not in Anthologies.)

"City of Blue Metal" (presumably Brass, but brass isn't blue) and "Tarzan Djinn"? Who's "toking the crack" now? :p