Help required

• Thread starter Azreal the Soulmaster
  • Start date
A

Azreal the Soulmaster

The Constant voices in my head beg me to make a Type II deck so i can participate in the tourney's that my store hosts every friday.............so here we go.

creatures
2 mindslicers
4 squirrel mob
1 Braids
1 Cabal Patriach(this should really be called the evil Pope)
4 phyrexian rager
2 rotting giant
spells
4 chatter of the squirrel
4 consume strength
4 innocent blood
2 squirrel nest
4 druid's call

well this is what i have so far, any suggestions?

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I'm just putting up general ideas for the deck I want to make, and everyone knows that land is going in the deck.

M

Mikeymike

It depends on what's most important to you with this deck:
Are you trying to get out a lot of token creatures, or only token squirrels?
I don't think you've got enough token generators (as I don't trust Druid's Call as a dependable way to get tokens), definitely find room for 2 more Squirre's Nest.
I would probably also cut the Druids Call in favor of Saproling Symbiosis, which will be much more reliable and can be played as a sneaky instant.

I usually don't like to post decklist but its easier for me to explain this way, here it goes...

creatures 16
4 BoP or Elf
4 phyrexian rager
3 squirrel mob
2 mindslicers
2 Braids (strongest card in the deck)
1 Fallen Angel

tokens 12
4 chatter of the squirrel
4 squirrel nest
4 Sap. Symbiosis

spells 8
2 Overrun
3 Diabolic Intent (amazing with the Mindslicer and the tokens)
4 innocent blood

Lands
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Deserted Temple (to untap your Squirrel's Nest land)
2 City of Brass (or Darigaaz's Caldera)
10 Forests
6 Swamps

Reasons I made cuts where I did:
Cabal Patriarch: His Casting Cost is way too heavy black for him to be dependable, and his activation is expensive too. Braids will do the same thing you want him to do but better.
Rotting Giant: He's not be, but he takes a little away from the focus of the deck. You want him out early, and only 2 in the deck means you probably won't see him until late game, when he won't be that great. And I don't think the deck (yours or mine) can support 4
Consume Strength: I had a tough time cutting this out, but I think Diabolic Intent is a stronger card in here
Druid's Call: I don't trust it. Its a creature enchantment which is already tough to control, and you can't force your opponent to deal to the enchanted creature. I can't see this thing getting you tokens.

Additons:
1 Braids: She makes the deck tick, but you don't want to run too many
Fallen Angel: She is a flyer and a quick win condition once she becomes active
BoP: For mana acceleration (which you definitely need in here) and mana cleaning (which you also need)
Diabolic Intent: Its awesome in here. If you sac a Mindslicer his ability resolves before the The Intent does, so you end up with a card.
Overrun: Another win condition, if it resolves you probably win.
Saproling Symbiosis: A lot more tokens, more than you'll know what to do with.
2 Squirrel's Nest: Most reliable token generator in Standard outside of Nemata
Deserted Temple: Combo with Squirrel's Nest

Hope this helps

K

Killerbob

find a net-deck, which have won something big, copy it, and do some meta-gaming. Thats how you play type 2...

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Much thanks Mike
what i was planning to do with the tokens was to use them to my advantage with braids, the patriarch and the innocent bloods, but another braids does sound better.
I was a little hesitant with the squirrel nests because they are land enchantments, but i trust you:D
yeah i guess the druid's calls are a little flaky.
The Overrun are the only things i question, 3 green is a little much, like with the patriarch

Griffith:
Life would really be nasty followed by a saproling symbiosis, I might consider that as i have quite a few lying around here somewhere.