Minotaur Exploroer
Cephalid Colosseum
Cabal Pit
Petrified Field
Holistic Wisdom
Thought Devourer
Rotting Giant
Upheaval
I'm also gonna have to disagree with you on this little group...aside from *possibly* Holistic Wisdom, most of them are barely adequate.

M

Mikeymike

Quick view:
Minotaur Exploroer
Rotting Giant
They are still 3/3s for 2 mana, they will see play. The Minotaur can go right into almost any aggro build (discard Roar of the Wurm hopefully), the Giant needs a little more help but definitely isn't bad.

Cephalid Colosseum
Cabal Pit
Petrified Field
They aren't as good as the Barbarian Ring, but the Pit can get rid of alot of annoying creatures that can give black fits (like the Voice of All) and the Colosseum is a great late game filter card: sac the land, dig 3 cards deeper into your deck, discard the chaff and extra lands. The Petrified Field isn't that great in that it is dependent on the sac lands to be in the deck, but it isn't horrible and can be annoying. Personally I like Deserted Temple better, but that's more for casual reasons.

Thought Devourer
Upheaval
These 2 are already in a solid deck together. Its an new skies deck with the key card being Spellbook, which makes both of these cards much much stronger. Upheaval is a powerhouse in and of itself, it might be tough to use but its way too strong an effect to ignore.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Appocalypse, the set in general is goog and tasty. but the enemy color thing was LAM-O! Why couldn't we have the samethings only in "friendly" colors.

I rarely go straight to the rare. I shuffle through the pack and find the rare. Then after deciding if it's good or bad, I look at the commons and uncommons, and see if they have a spot in my decks. If I have the "rare first" mentality I apologize, it's because that's what the hype is about around here; power rares.

T.J.:p

M

Mr.Gnome

Why does everyone say that urza's block was broken? Yes there were some broken cards but they were banned so quickly that they don't really count. If morphling was so broken then why did Stompy and Tinker decks dominate so easily? Yes morphling is an amzazing card but not overly , much like the rest of urza's block, I liked buying a pack and being essentially guarentied to pull a good rare or at least some good uncommons or commons...

T

Turtlewax Joe

Actually,.....it was Replenish that never got banned and suprmely dominated in the Urza seasons, then it got banned in extended:(.

Tinker was damn good but it got beat. Bargain was also good. It tailed of when it goot to many options for play. There was a green surge for a while and I believe it qualified 5 people for PT but that's just a fad the lasted for a month and a half.

T.J.:p

M

mogg bomber

Originally posted by Mr.Gnome
Why does everyone say that urza's block was broken? Yes there were some broken cards but they were banned so quickly that they don't really count. If morphling was so broken then why did Stompy and Tinker decks dominate so easily? Yes morphling is an amzazing card but not overly , much like the rest of urza's block, I liked buying a pack and being essentially guarentied to pull a good rare or at least some good uncommons or commons...

Well, to start...

Tinker
Replenish
Bargain
Rector
Academy
Morphling
Memory Jar

And that's just off the top of my head(and I don't even play competive type 2 really... others can do a much better job explaining Urza block than I can).

M

Mr.Gnome

Hehe oops! Let me revise that, the only card that made Urza's block broken was Replinish! And i agree, it would have been horibly broken if cards like the acadamy and memory jar were not banned, but they were so they don't really count.

T

Turtlewax Joe

The block was figgin' broken and you knnow it...Tinker was broken given the current enviroment and the same ALMOST with Deranged Hermit with all the SUPER fast mana production it was able to be put out on turn 3 and lifelined back on turn 5 to create YET MORE SQUIRRELS!!!

What about time spiral...it stayed past the first set of bannnings didn't it?

M

Mr.Gnome

Hmm... Maybe i need to be more clear...after **ALL** OF THE BANNINGS AND ERATTA WERE COMPLETED then it was not broken just very good... Not one deck type dominated everything

G

Gizmo

Urzas Block was bad for Magic. At one point the best three decks were all abusive Urzas decks - Replenish, Bargain, and Accelerated Blue. These decks all used overly-powerful UBC cards (Replenish, Attunement, Opallessence, Academy Rector, Yawgmoths Bargain, Yawgmoths Will, Masticore, Morphling).

I dont think it was broken - its futile to say that it was broken because of the banned cards, because THEY WERE BANNED. Its like saying Alpha was broken because of Lotus and Mox. It wasnt broken, but it also wasnt a great deal of fun.

Mmmmm... Avalanche Riders. :p
I guess it had it`s good points. :D

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Plus there was the fact that the counter magic sucked.

P

Pyro Monkey

Why is apocolypse so good? Yeah, its got some good rares, but has anyone taken a look at the uncoomons and commons? They suck. Its an "ok" set, but gets extremely boring after awhile We need a new interesting set, something based on alternate win conditions or something, like coalition victory(sucks, but is interesting in gameplay).

E

EricBess

Here's my question: A few people picked up on the fact that there was a "sedimental trip down memory lane" going on. My question is what does boating have to do with this supposed scam? And why has nobody drawn attention to this yet (unless I missed it somewhere) :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that it was just Whimsy's play on words for "sentimental trip". Why she chose "sedimental", I have no clue... :)

T

train

So now that it's all panned out... I noticed that psychatog was not mentioned in this thread at all...

a simple little uncommon overlooked because he truly sucks... and htne that one person in the world had to find out how to break this guy open...

Kudos to upheaval and roar of the wurm being mentioned...

and...

Saga Block is the best block Magic has ever had...:D :cool:

N

Nightstalkers

If you had enough money you really liked the Saga, on the other hand if you where broke from buying all of the Black Lotus's (I'll buy one off of ya!) you thought that all of the rares were not fun and you hated the set. Take my foray in Memphis TN, for example, I used to know a guy that would save his money up enough to buy a whole box of boosters for about $120. He traded the "crappy" rares out for better ones and created pretty good decks from that one box and rares he traded for. The point is simple, get to know how to use commons and uncommons from the sets faster than using the frikkened rares and you have a better chance in type I, II, and 1.5. (The guy had a deck of commons and uncommons that could beat all of the world championship decks, one after another.)

Thats right Jimmy, I'm talking about you my friend. Remember the old Nightstalker deck and you will know who I am.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think that if you liked to play in tourney's where broken cards matter, you liked the set (at first maybe) because Urza's Block was the first time you could build killer decks in a long time.

(The guy had a deck of commons and uncommons that could beat all of the world championship decks, one after another.)
Was your friend playing people who knew how to play the championship decks?