Planeshift pack purchased:10

rares:

2x planeswalker's mischief
1x Ertai the Corrupted
1x skyship weatherlight
1x Meteor crater
1x destructive flow
3x planar overlay
1x questing pheldagriff (or however its spelled)

Odyssey packs: 2

rares

1x obstinate familiar
1x chance encounter

Im cursed:( !

I

Istanbul

Apocalypse will break your curse
Buy it or it will get worse!

G

Gerode

Yes. Planeshift is a pretty crappy set, and Apoc is chock full of chase rares.

I

Insane_Penguin

but honestly.....

WHERE ARE THE SCUTAS?

THE SHIVAN WORMS?

THE ORIMS CHANTS?

THE MEDDLING MAGES?

HELL, EVEN VOICE OF ALL!

WHERE ARE THEEEEEEEEEY!

D

Dementia

Sorry...couldn't resist.

I have come to the conclusion that sets of 350 are not even worth buying. I bought about....2 boxes of Invasion and got basically nothing to show for it.

As for Planeshift.....well.....I won't lie to ya.....you got screwed:(

I

Istanbul

Invasion is a 110-rare set with about 15 rares worth having. About 14% or so.

Planeshift is a 43-rare set with about 7 rares worth having. About 16% or so.

Apocalypse is a 43-rare set with about 14 rares worth having. About 33% or so.

Guess which set is best to buy?

D

Dead

Sounds like my problem... whenever i open boosters, i always seem to end up with non-basic land as the rare- i've acquired meteor crater, 2 wintermoon mesa etc... although i did pull a dual out of a revised booster at genconuk this year, and a foil painland at the apoc prerelease, so it's not all bad :)

C

Cateran Emperor

You want bad? Recent 1 v 1 sealed deck match:

My Rares:
Crystal Quarry (FOIL)
Petrified Field
Tarnished Citadel
Battle of Wits
Chance Encounter

What's even weirder is that my opponent opened a Foil Petrified Field and a regular Crystal Quarry... :confused:

G

Goku

I generally buy boxes, and sell most of the packs off, opening about 5 packs for myself. But lately, I haven't been able to do that... the last box I bought was Planeshift.

When I bought Planeshift, I can't remember exactly what I got, but I know I got good stuff... such as Scuta, Orim's Chant, stuff like that.

Almost everything I've bought from Apocalypse was good...those were just packs, though.

I think that you just got unlucky... but I would say that Apocalypse is good to get.

P

Purple_jester

I've only had the funds and time to buy two Odyssey packs. My two rares were Haunting Echoes and Mindslicer. :D

M

Mikeymike

I agree with Isty, buy packs of Apoc and trade some of the many chase rares away for stuff you need from other sets. Getting 10 packs of Apoc will almost always end up paying for themselves.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Mikeymike
I agree with Isty, buy packs of Apoc and trade some of the many chase rares away for stuff you need from other sets. Getting 10 packs of Apoc will almost always end up paying for themselves.
I'll agree with the first half of that, but...

10 packs paying for themselves? The way prices are going these days, you'd have to get a Monger AND a Vindicate AND a Deed AND a couple of painlands to break even.

Never buy packs expecting them to pay for themselves. Buy them for good cards, either to use or to trade away. Apocalypse is best for this. Next is Planeshift. With the big sets (7th, Invasion, Odyssey), your chances of a chase rare are exceptionally small. (Prime example: Four boxes, no Shadowmage Infiltrator.)

M

Mikeymike

True, 10 packs at $33 won't end up paying for themselves. I should have lead that statement with the way I get packs/boxes.

If I'm low on funds but want cards, I'll buy a box and sell packs for $2-2.25 a pack keeping some for myself. I won't turn a profit, but I'll end up getting each pack I keep for slightly under $2, and anyone who buys the packs from me will too. 10 packs (of Apoc) for $18-20 will pay for themselves. Keep in mind with Apoc, although there are only 12-15 'choice' rares, there are about 10 others in the set that are played in standard every once in a blue and/or see a decent amount of casual play. My point, you will get to make great to decent additions to your trade binder.

C

cbearsbro

Originally posted by Dead
Sounds like my problem... whenever i open boosters, i always seem to end up with non-basic land as the rare- i've acquired meteor crater, 2 wintermoon mesa etc... although i did pull a dual out of a revised booster at genconuk this year, and a foil painland at the apoc prerelease, so it's not all bad :)
What I don't understand is WHY some of these non-basic lands are considered RARE.. Cuz they don't do anything and you wouldn't want them to be common? :p The Crystal quarry I got in the booster box was nice if I want to play a spectrum kind of deck or creature/spell that needs it. But come on, why are things like Skycloud expanse (think that was the name) rare? They only give you two color mana. I can't complain about the box we just got though. Had Mirari, Irridescent Angel, and some other good rares along with the weird, "why on earth would I use it" ones ;)