G/B MP deck

A

artifact

There isn't really any meta-game in our Multiplayer games. We all have too many decks and keep changing them or making new deck ideas. Biggest thing I can say about the metagame in our MP games are that it is Type 1 and Player A & B collections go back as far as Fallen Empires and Revised. Player C has cards only from Urza's Saga and up.
See you can make any suggestions for this deck:

4x Urborg Elf
3x Canopy Spider
2x Deepwood Drummer
3x Quagmire Druid
3x Phyrexian Rager
4x Penumbra Bobcat
4x Penumbra Kavu
1x Penumra Wurm
3x Buried Alive
3x Befoul
2x Squall
3x Elvish Fury
3x Living Death

12x Forest
10x Swamp

And before anyone can say add some more Penumbra Wurms. One is all I got. :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Now I'm helping a Penumbra deck...

I'd say a Sol Ring or a bit more fast mana besides the Elves to speed things up a bit.... Fellwar Stone is a good second.

It seems to me that you'd want creatures in play more than in the graveyard, so I question the Drummers. Maybe put Haunting Crossroads in instead.

K

krichaiushii

Green and black graveyard games. That's always fun.

Hermit Druid and Bazaar of Baghdad (good luck getting these) fill your graveyard nicely.

Lhurgoyf in conjunction with Worry Beads, Whetstone, and/or Gaea's Blessing takes full advantage of filling your opponent's graveyard up. And if you take this route, Avatar(s) of Woe become unbelievably synergistic.

But since you are going the Living Death route, you want opponents' graveyards to be empty. So, Eater of the Dead and Night Soil should do the trick - they both remove creatures from target graveyard for different effects. Tormod's Crypt could even be of use - especially with the new graveyard-based mechanics in Odyssey.

Another way to fill your graveyard is to play a creature that requires an upkeep sacrifice, like Lord of the Pit, Devouring Strossus, Crovax the Cursed, or Minion of Leshrac (my personal favorite). Certain other cards require a creature sacrifice, as well - Gateway to Phyrexia (black enchantment that destroys artifacts) and Phyrexian Portal (artifact that lets you draw cards).

Amusing creatures to sacrifice include Yavimaya Elders, Veteran Explorers, Nether Shadows, and Ashen Ghouls.

These suggestions don't even touch on the recent power cards in the G/B color scheme that scream "play me".

C

Craven

I don't like these Canopy Spiders. They really suck, I would only use them in the Sideboard.
A good g/b card is Consume Strength. You should add at least 2.
As Spiderman said, you need to speed up your deck. If you can get Elves better than Sol Rings or Felwar Stones, try Priest of Titania instead. This should be enough mana.
And I totally agree with Spiderman about Haunting Crossroads. This card works great with the Penumbra creatures. Get rid of a Penumbra Bobcat (=sac it or let it be blocked to death;) ), get a black token, return Bobcat on top of your library, then play it again and again and again and again and........
However, in this case I would add some card drawers like Howling Mine.

K

Killerbob

Like someone said, Hermit Druid is really good in this kind of deck.
If you cant get any of these, mulch("reveal the top four cards of your library to all players.Put any of those that are lands into your hands, and the rest into your graveyard.") is worth a try. It replaces itself with about 1.3 land, and with lots of creatures in your deck, it will possibly have a "buried alive" effect too.
Sacrifices are fun, and good with Living Death. Why not try Diabolic Intend? Other good sacrifice-cards could be phyrexian vault, infernal tribute (cant sac tokens :( ), or the very good living death-creature : Phyrexian Ghoul (or Fallen Angel, if you prefer big expensive flyers...)
btw, Night Soil is one of the most annoying, anti-fun cards ever made -play it!

C

Captain Caveman

Have you considered Fallen Angel?

She seems to fit really good in this type of deck.

Attack, sack a bunch of Penumbra guys then the tokens and
other useless guys. Deal the damage. Then cast Living Death.

Just a thought.

M

Mikeymike

I am apologizing in advance as I'm going to step on people's toes here and repeat some stuff, sorry.

OK, first thing I would do is swap out the Befouls for Eradicate (Urza's Destiny), what you lose in versatility you gain in the ability to Lobotomize a certain creature from someone's deck, making the Living Death a little better for you.

Next, swap the Urborg Elf for Llanowar Dead. You don't need the blue mana, but the bigger body could be of use. And squall is better off as Squallmonger.

Since you are running Buried Alive, run more big creatures in here. I'm guessing that your collection spans from Masques forward, so maybe you have access to Avatar of Woe (highly recommended in here), Spiritmonger, Fallen Angel (huge in here) and big green creatures. But you should not have a difficult time at all finding a big green and/or black creature to add to the beatings. Oh, yeah, Blastoderm wouldn't be bad at all in here.

I guess it really depends on what you have. I would say the key to making the deck work is to build around the Living Death, try to make every card in the deck make Living Death a better cast. That means you need:

1 - Graveyard fillers: You've got the Buried Alives and Living Death, that should do it

2 - Utility creatures: You've got Quagmire Druid (a good call for this deck) but you need more. Consider some good '187' creatures (creatures with come-into-play abilites) as you will get 2 uses out of them at least. I'd look at the Urza's block echo creatures like Bone Shredder and Yavimaya Granger as their suicide ability isn't bad in here. But their are tons of other great ones to consider; Spike Weaver, Woodripper, Yavimaya Elder, Nekrataal, Eater of the Dead (look him up if you don't know what he does www.crystalkeep.com) and more.

3 - Big creatures: I Penumbra Wurm isn't enough, you need more beef, especially with the Buried Alives.

4 - Suicide engines: You want to be able to quickly kill all of your creatures so you can Power a huge Living Death. Best done be Fallen Angel and Phyrexian Ghoul, but Phyrexian Tribute, Reprocess, and Diabolic Intent also do a good job.

5 - Support: This falls on permanent removal and utility. A lot of this can fall into the hands of your creatures if you choose wisely, but I would at least include Eradicate or Tormod's Crypt, not both though. The key is to run as many creatures as possible.

If you use these 5 points as guidelines, you'll be able to build a deck that can own the game if the Living Deaths go off, and completely hold its own if you never see the L.D.

Hope this helps.

K

Killerbob

I think night soil is far better than tormods crypt in MP. Its not a one-timer against one opponent, and it gives you creatures.
And you should take out the elvish fury. They really dont do much in this kind of deck. You have access to far better tricks. 3 buried alive is at least 1 too much. Very often it is not what you really need. I would take out maybe all of them, and replace them with mulches, but I guess that is a matter of taste. If you use mulch, revive is worth a thought.

K

krichaiushii

AAHHHH!!!! My toes!!! ;P

Actually, I never thought of Eradicate - how wonderfully useful in here. And I don't know HOW I forgot Squallmonger. I guess I'm out of practice at this deck advice stuff...

Skyshroud Vampire, Vampire Hounds, and thier ilk may be considered as a backup method to move creatures from hand to graveyard. Not efficient, but decent surprise value.

Biskelion always worked well in my version of this deck, but it was a few sets ago...

If you've room for one, Wormwood Treefolk is always fun in MP, simply for its ability to swamp and forest walk. At 4/4, it thumps well, too.

Cannibalize will also remove creatures from the game, at a minor cost - but a well-timed Living Death mitigates said cost.

That is all for now. Let us know your final (or most recent, at least) version.