Card Values?

Q

Quill

I've never really had a reason to check the monetary value of Magic cards before, but I'm wondering if there is a guide that most collecters use to assess the value of cards..particulary cards froim the older sets. I remember a magazine (duelist?) but I think they went out of business.

Thanks in advance

Q

I

igfett

there are a couple of publications with price guides in them, including inquest and scrye magazines. there are also online guides all over the internet, and many people have a particular guide they swear by. I personally use ebay, as it shows what people are generally willing to pay for cards, where guides show what retailers (who look to make a profit) are willing to sell them for.

C

Chaos Turtle

I prefer eBay if I have no idea what I personally value a card at. You can get a good range of prices by checking the auctions that are ending that same day.

H

Hetemti

I usually use the Magic Trader's price list, but you have to make sure the n's high enough to justify the data.

D

Daggertooth

I usualy go by Ebay when I have it. Otherwise I just go by scrye. That is, of course, if I'm being picky. Usualy I just trade for what I want with what I don't want.

Daggertooth

I

Istanbul

I use eBay. You should, too.

Scrye and Inquest are both laughable. Whenever someone pulls out a copy and tries to go from its values, I say, 'Okay, that's all well and good. Now, here's what the card is *really* worth.'

M

MrXarvox

...that's because scrye and inquest prices are based on stores' selling prices. cut scrye prices in half, and you'll get a number somewhere in the more reasonable range, for trading and selling purposes.

M

Mikeymike

Here is an interesting link: the MOTL average trade value of Magic Cards. Keep in mind that its not an perfect science b/c it depends on what other traders value cards at, but for popular cards it is the most accurate value list I've found.

Non-Foils:
http://www.magictraders.com/pricelists/current-magic

Foils:
http://www.magictraders.com/pricelists/current-magic-foils

Also, does anyone know if there is an ebay price list? This is something that would be offered by an opensource programmer who's written a script or something to track selling prices.