MTGNews says goodbye... :(

T

terzarima

*Sigh*

There are few words I can say, other than we will mourn the dead, and treasure what they gave us. I was only at mtgnews for 2 and a half years, and it was the site the lead me to the CPA. It will be missed.

T

theorgg

I put up an invitation to the Rumor Mill to come here, as I'm sure noone will mind another forum-- expecially one with such great people posting as a result of them...

It is a sad, sad day.

At least the 'Goodbye' was personal and felt warm as the fine site deserved-- instead of The Dojo's cold and machanical 'The Dojo.com Will be Terminating service As of Now.' message...

:(

Z

Zadok001

And at least it looks like this is a head shot, not a gut wound a'la the Dojo - MtGNews will die quickly. No lingering.

D

DG

Originally posted by Zadok001
And at least it looks like this is a head shot, not a gut wound a'la the Dojo - MtGNews will die quickly. No lingering.
The last thing I want to see happen to MTGnews.com is a slow and painful death that will drive readers away in disgust. I don't want it to end like The Dojo. If we need to exit, we will exit gracefully.

A

Almindhra

I can't believe MTGNews is over with...I used to be on their message boards a tiny bit after being on the Dojo a tiny bit, then YJ told me to go here...But I went there for all the latest updates with the Magic scene...But you could tell that it was going downhill when it wouldn't be updated for a month or whatnot...

To give you an idea, we could have purchased a new company van and upgraded our office equipments with the money lost.
I don't quite understand this...I didn't even know they were really a company...I thought it was a dude who kept the site up...*shrugs*...

You will be missed MTGNews...

Z

Zadok001

Thank you, DG. That post GREATLY encourages me. I don't want this to look like the Dojo part dues.

D

Dementia

Two things that are bad about MTGnews that you all should know about in anticipation of some of there members coming here....

Pointless posters: There are those at MTGnews that post solely for the purpose of getting more posts. I dunno why they do it.....competion would be the most likely answer I guess. Preventing this from happening could be as easy as getting rid of the post count keepers under your screen name maybe. Now, I can say that this is what is the worst part about MTGnews. They post basically pointless posts that are not worth reading, and they don't even consider what they are doing spam.....they are the worse part about MTGnews. I keep repeating it because I think it bears repeating:p

Flamers and spammers: I don't think that modding is as important as how the posters react to them. Spammers do what they do because they enjoy getting people pissed. Now over at MTGnews whenever a piece of spam or a flame is posted there are members that jump on it and start yelling at them for doing it. I think you should make it clear that is NOT acceptable and will be punished as much as the spamming.

Hope that helps a bit. MTGnews and the CPA are REALLY different type boards.....I think there are good and bad points to both. If a lot of their posters joined here and those good points of both were intergrated it would make for an insanely fun bunch of boards I think:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Almindhra:
I don't quite understand this...I didn't even know they were really a company...I thought it was a dude who kept the site up...
Kind of like Ed here? ;)

Dementia: The admins have been discussing this kind of, but the good thing about deleting posts is that your counter goes back down. And of course we have the several forums where your posts don't count at all...

And we always have the banning option for hard-headed people... so as long as we nip stuff in the bud, we should be okay (I hope)

C

CAMDEX

MTGNews was where i got my first inkling of all the new set, from Apoc block to Odyssey. In fact, it's where i got the first look at PRice of Glory!

"Vaya con Dios, MTGNews." We'll miss you

I

Istanbul

I reiterate: I will not allow spammers to become a problem here.

M

mogg bomber

Well, there's always the possibility that someone could buy the domain and keep the site running right? mtgnews is too good a site to just let it die.

B

Bob

If it wasn't for MTGnews, I would have never found H-Mage, and if I never found H-Mage, I would have never found the CPA.

:(
RIP MTGNews.