Metagame Madness

I

Istanbul

What do I see at my local tournaments?

Opposition.
W/B.
Fires.
Netdecks a-plenty.

So I said to myself, "What do these decks have in common? What underlying theme can I exploit?"

Enchantments.
Creatures.
High-CC stuff.

And so, I bring you...

Grassy Knoll.dec

9x Plains
10x Forest
3x Brushland

4x Quirion Dryad (gets massive quick)
4x Kavu Titan
4x Elvish Archers
4x Llanowar Knight
4x Noble Panther
2x Charging Troll

4x Wax/Wane
4x Gerrard's Command
4x Armadillo Cloak
4x Hurricane

SB:
4x Elvish Lyrist
4x Pacifism
3x Reprisal
4x ???

Dryad grows whenever a white spell is played...which means that 22 of the spells in this deck make it grow.
Kavu Titan is modal, and a pumped Archers takes down almost anything.
Llanowar Knight was the natural bear for the job, Noble Panther is an undercosted 3/3 first strike, and Charging Troll rounds out my mana curve and comes with two great abilities.

Wax/Wane provides growth and much-needed enchantment destruction (Opposition, Fires, Arena, Agenda, the list goes on).
Gerrard's Command is like a Giant Growth, except it grows my Dryad.
Armadillo Cloak...well, duh.
Hurricane is an X-spell finisher.

Elvish Lyrist is there in case I need more enchantment removal.
Reprisal kills Desolation Angels if they get cast, and stomps most of Fires' big fatties at instant speed for two mana.
Pacifism solves my biggest problem; without it, I have no real answer for Spectral Lynx.
What should I put in the last slot? Part of me wants to say Thornscape Battlemage vs. artifacts, but I dunno...aside from Static Orb or Ensnaring Bridge, I don't ph33r artifacts much...and I don't see Bridges *anywhere* locally.

The idea is to beat my opponent to death with great swiftness, with enough enchantment destruction, grow spells, and direct damage via Hurricane to push a kill through faster than they can handle.

4x so many spells...any suggestions for this deck? (other than 'your deck sucks', thanks)

R

rkoelsch

I don't think the pacifism is good against Spectral Lynx. I think a better solution is Voice of All. Set to white can block lynx all day and can't be vindicated.

I

Istanbul

I'm not worried about blocking the Lynx.
I'm worried about the Lynx blocking my creatures and eating one each turn.
I had thought of Voice of All, but I'm trying to keep the mana curve low.

R

rkoelsch

so if you are thinking that a pacifism will allow a turn or two of attacks before disenchanted then that is a valid point.

I

Istanbul

Not that, so much as that an opponent who holds a Spectral Lynx back on defense has a decent chance of giving me *serious* problems.

Anyone else? No other suggestions?

B

bloit

your deck suck! no. just kidding. have you thought about using that yavimaya enchantress card and the other enchantment benefitting one. maybe setons desire, pacifism, others, i don't remember much of the article on it, but the deck seemed solid. maybe you could splash red for squees embrace, i dunno. like you say, THINK!

I

Istanbul

This deck is so low on enchantments (Armadillo Cloak and...um...yeah) that the Enchantresses, whether Yavimaya or Verduran, wouldn't help it.

And yes, I suppose I could turn it into an enchantress deck. But that deck wins through card advantage, taking time to do so. This deck is about beating my opponent's head in with great speed, with a little bit of enchantment removal.

B

bloit

i still dunno. not bad, but enchantment removal is more of a sb type thing. i haven't seen the thing work, but something seems to be missing, maybe it will come to me later.

D

Duel

Hmm, this may sound odd but.... blessed orator? Or a glorious anthem?

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by bloit
i still dunno. not bad, but enchantment removal is more of a sb type thing. i haven't seen the thing work, but something seems to be missing, maybe it will come to me later.
Normally, I agree...but *every deck* in this format has an enchantment that cranks it up.

B/W has Agenda, Arena, Dega/Necra Sanctuary...
Opposition has, well, Opposition...
Fires has, well, Fires...

Sort of like main-decking Gainsay.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Duel
Hmm, this may sound odd but.... blessed orator? Or a glorious anthem?
Blessed Orator...gimme a second. *looks*
Doesn't work with the deck. Four mana is a lot for this deck, and toughness isn't what I want to boost.
I had considered Glorious Anthem, but it seems to me that it'd fall under the category of 'winning more'...that, and double-white isn't something I can always find.