4 Lava Blister
4 Stone Rain
4 Pillage

15 Mountain
4 Petrified Field
4 Barbarian Ring

L

Lotus Mox

Here's my mono-red deck, it's more a beatdown deck unlike your Ponza deck.

16 Mountain
1 Keldon Necropolis
4 Barbarian Ring
2 Petrified Field (get back Rings)

4 Shock
4 Firebolt
4 Volcanic Hammer
2 Urza's Rage

4 Spark Mage (nice vs. early Birds and Elves (they block (and die) or die))
4 Mad Dog
4 Goblin Raider (no Minotaur Explorer, it wasn't that good in testing)
3 Balduvian Barbarians (the best 3-drop I could find :eek: )
4 Flametongue Kavu
4 Skizzik

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by arhar
Keldon Necropolis :)
Keldon Necropolis and Minotaur/Dog/Firebolt/Burst/Blister/Ring will never be legal in the same format.

R

r00tg04t

why aren't you guys using blazing salvo? it is literly amazing. :)

B

bloit

Originally posted by Istanbul

Keldon Necropolis and Minotaur/Dog/Firebolt/Burst/Blister/Ring will never be legal in the same format.
don't play much t2 do you? keldon necropolis and the odyssey cards will be legal in t2 for a year, and won't they go to t1 later on?:rolleyes:

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by bloit

don't play much t2 do you? keldon necropolis and the odyssey cards will be legal in t2 for a year, and won't they go to t1 later on?:rolleyes:
Uh...actually, yeah, I do.
The Odyssey cards won't rotate in until November 1st.
When that happens, the Masques block rotates out, and takes the Necropolis with it.

Yes, I suppose they'll be legal in Extended and Type 1...but this deck isn't made for those formats, is it?

B

bloit

Uh...actually, yeah, I do.
The Odyssey cards won't rotate in until November 1st.
When that happens, the Masques block rotates out, and takes the Necropolis with it.

Yes, I suppose they'll be legal in Extended and Type 1...but this deck isn't made for those formats, is it?
well, you don't know your cards. keldon necropolis was a legendary land in invasion! duh. i'm sorry i know my cards better than you.

L

Lotus Mox

Originally posted by r00tg04t
why aren't you guys using blazing salvo? it is literly amazing. :)
I don't like Blazing Salvo at all, I prefer Rage or Hammer over it.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by bloit

well, you don't know your cards. keldon necropolis was a legendary land in invasion! duh. i'm sorry i know my cards better than you.
Let me guess. In reality, you're a short, fat, pimply-faced twelve-year-old, right? It would sure explain the attitude.

Turns out you're right this ONE TIME. I was thinking of Rath's Edge. Cherish it; it won't happen again.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Let's play nice...

bloit, I know you're a new member, so please try to phrase your "suggestions" less insultingly. All you had to say was Keldon Necro is in Invasion. No "duh", no "you must not know your cards".

B

bloit

Let me guess. In reality, you're a short, fat, pimply-faced twelve-year-old, right? It would sure explain the attitude.

Turns out you're right this ONE TIME. I was thinking of Rath's Edge. Cherish it; it won't happen again.
:(kay, sorry, i don't know no you and don't like making enemies. i could and should have been less rude about it, lets start over. by the way, im not short, not 12, and i don't like the word pompous. just sounds mean. once again, sorry.

G

Griffith_se

What about mono Red?
I think most agreed that mono white wouldn't be that good, but what about red?

R

r00tg04t

Originally posted by Lotus Mox

I don't like Blazing Salvo at all, I prefer Rage or Hammer over it.
Just because you like a card doesn't mean they are better, and why not run 4 Rage, 4 Salvo in a mono red deck i think the salvo is a given.

L

Lotus Mox

Salvo isn't a good card.

Here are all red burn cards in Type 2 which I think are better than Salvo in most circumstances:

Firebolt
Shock
Volcanic Hammer
Urza's Rage
Fire
Scorching Lava
Flame Burst
Assault

the main reason why Salvo sucks is that it can't target players which is a huge drawback for any red burn spells, additionally your opponent might even save his creature if he feels it's advantageous (this won't happen that often though, cause 5 damage is a bit too much to take vs. a red deck).

M

Mikeymike

The only thing that makes mono-red much less effective is that stupid anti-burn enchantment from Odyssey. Why is red always the target of good sideboard options? That being said, you can't argue mone-red's simplistic, efficient focus. Focus always is a good thing.

Personally, I think Mage's Contest is worth a look. This card was never bad and it just became stronger with Odyssey to due mono-red focus. The life bidding isn't nearly as dangerous for you as it is your opponent, and the loser of the bidding war loses, which can be an interesting way around CoP Red and Worship. Later in the game as your opponent is low on life, its also a near guaranteed counterspell.

Instead of Balduvian Barbarians you could also run Emblazoned Golem. Its not ideal in a mono deck, but its a colorless source of damage which is always worth a shot. If you decide to splash blue for FoF and/or Prophetic Bolt it becomes slightly better.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Blazing Salvo is a good card if your winning.

It doesent help you win, which is its problem.

L

Lotus Mox

14 Mountain
4 Barbarian Ring
4 Petrified Field
1 Keldon Necropolis

4 Spark Mage
4 Goblin Raider
4 Mad Dog
2 Goblin Elite Infantry
4 Flametongue Kavu
4 Skizzik

4 Shock
4 Firebolt
4 Volcanic Hammer
3 Urza's Rage

SB:
3 Mages' Contest
2 Earthquake
2 Obliterate
4 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Dodecapod (vs. discard and pro:red)

M

mpgsheep

couple of comments to make.

Blazing Salvo seems nice, but it is inherently flawed. Firstly it cannot be aimed directly at players, in a situation where u need that burn spell to win it can suck. Secondly, and most importantly i believe, it has no guarantee that it will do what you want. It is never certain to kill a creature(unless they on 5 or less life) and it is never certain to do your opponent damage. However it is good, being 3 or 5 damage for 1 mana, however for the reasons i give above I hasten to use it.

Mages contest IS good. The way to play it is to treat is as a burn spell. In most situations the following happens. They play spell(say Wrath of God for example). You reply with a contest, bidding the initial 1 life. Usually they will then bid 2 life, and then you will bid 3 life. Now your opponent is faced with two choices. He could let you win the contest, and make u lose 3 life, and then face the beatdown of your creatures. Alternatively he could bid 4 life, and then maybe get his wrath to resolve, but put him 4 points of life closer to death. Therefore the way to use mages contest is too save for the big game breakers like Wrath, Opposition etc, and then make your opponent really consider how far he can go, and thus you can normally save a bad situation for yourself, or make a bad situation considerably worse by losing your opponent some life

BTW uwr trenches kicks ass. Will post my decklist soon, when I fully tweaked it
Ciao for now

Michael