Standstill!

Z

Zadok001

A turn two play in all control decks? A follow-up to a threat in beatdown? A piece of trash? Where does Standstill stand?

Possible synergies:

Bounce: Bounce opposing permanents and/or spells at EoT, then drop Standstill. It leaves your opponent in a ditch, without their early threats. And playing them again means you draw three cards. Bad Deal.

Countermagic/Control: Play Standstill on turn 2. When your opponent finally bails and casts a spell, allow Standstill's trigger to resolve, then counter whatever they play. Standstill gives you the time to work up to powerful counters (and lots of 'em), as well as removal for anything that does sneak through.

Anything else?

M

Mikeymike

Your buddy Duel has put forth a pretty good plan in the deck section, dropping a first turn threat and just waiting it out applying 1 point beatings.

It can fit into the new blue/black Mill decks that are sure to pop up. They definitely slow the game down, and that can't hurt the Millstone. Plus, if you get a Millstone out first you can just drop Standstill and start to suck their library dry until it pops. Maybe this way people will actually start to play Undermine again...

It also works very well with flashback spells as a flashback spell being activated form your graveyard isn't actually being cast, therefore it can't trigger your Standstill.

Question/statement regarding Standstill, it triggers when a spell is put on the stack, so it resolves first allowing you to potentially draw into a counter for that spell that caused it to pop. Is this right?

M

Mr.Gnome

It truly is an amazing card in any deck that plays blue, at first I thought it was horrible thinking that you couldn't counter their spells but after reading it again you get to draw three cards and then counter their spells, and also the one point beating idea is great, 1st turn ~ Land Elf go ~ second turn ~ standstill SCHMACK!~ Etc...

A

artifact

If you play a flashback spell from your graveyard it will trigger the standstill. Flashbacks are played as if they were in your hand, if it wasn't then you couldn't counter the flashbacked spell.

M

Mikeymike

artifact is right and I'm stupid, oh well.

I was thinking that a kicked Waterspout Elemental followed by Standstill would be a nice combo, but its very mana intensive. Maybe with Sunscape or Nightscape Familiars.

P

Purple_jester

The synergy when you cast it after you blow everything up with a Disk or Keg is very nice. Very nice indeed. Also drives the opponent crazy when I cast it the turn after I put Masticore, Palinchron or Morphling into play.

If you want to stick to Type 2, I suppose the same principle applies. You'd want to cast it after utilizing some sort of reset button. A friend who uses it in T2 says works great with Wrath of God or Wash Out.

N

Neo_Keo

Since Purple mention out of T2 I would also like to include my favorite deck in extended. Tradewind Bounce

You know its a pain when you have a Tradewind Engine goin and they ponder whether playing this card is worth it or not when you ave that beatuifel standstill out :) not to mention you can bounce it yourself it you want to play a spell :)