Blazing Salvo, really a new Lightning Bolt?

D

Dune Echo

Blazing Salvo (common)
R
Instant
Blazing Salvo deals 3 damage to target creature unless that creature’s controller has Blazing Salvo deal 5 damage to him or her.

So far, this looks slightly cool to me, but I don't know. In order to nail your opponent, he or she MUST have a creature in play. Then, if you REALLY need it as creature removal, you're opponent is of course going to select the 5 damage. It just seems to conditional to me, much like Shower of Sparks and Lunge. Anyone disagree with me?

Also, I'm slightly bothered by the lack of burn besides Shock clones that have very limited targetting abilities. I love the focus on creatures again in the environment, but I'm really wanting Lightning Bolt back (whine, whine, whine! :)).

D

DÛke

...Hello Dune Echo! Long time no see! :)

Blazing Salvo isn't that powerful. Like you said, it's completely conditional. Lunge is an amazing card on the outside, but when you really play it, it's not that great as far as real burn goes. Blazing Salvo doesn't need JUST a creature. It needs a creature that the controllers is willing to take 5 damage for, and what exactly is that creature? Seriously, I don't see a creature I would take 5 damage for, nontheless, it all depends on a particular situation. If the creature is about to win me the game, then the compromise may be made...

...Blazing Salvo is conditional, and situational. :)

Z

Zadok001

It seems to me as though this presents a good way to bust out of locked ground battles. I mean, you can either destroy a creature, or make any of your creatures that gets through be a more deadly force. Despite giving your opponent options, you're looking at two very BAD options, in this case - Especially with the expense of only one mana and one card. I vote strong, possibly staple.

G

Gizmo

Situation: your opponent has no creatures toughness 3 or less, that cant regenerate, or have Pro:Red.

Still strong?

This goes right to the back of a loooooooooooong list of playable burn spells that can target a creature OR player. I bet you liked Strafe!

Z

Zadok001

Nope, hated Strafe. :) I see this as FAR superior. I was mostly referring to limited events in my previous statement, a format where the wonders of Protection are fairly limited, and creatures are more common than lands. In Constructed, obviously, this is less than optimal. But two bad options for an opponent (both regarding damage against Red) seems like a fair deal to me.

M

mogg bomber

Well, I'll try it out(I try to make a sligh deck everytime a new set comes out to see if it'll work since it's my favorite deck), but just looking at it, it seems too conditional for T2, but it'll be great in limited(which I play far more often anyway).

D

Dementia

I'm with Zodak on this one. For golly gosh sakes! It's 3 or 5 damage at instant speed for R!!!

Situational? Yes, but think on this, how could they make any situational card MORE powerful. Do you suggest that i deal 4 damage and 6 damage? Or 5 and 7? For R?!?!

This thing is as good as any situational card can get before it just turns insane.

Yeah, I know it actual play this thing doesn't perform too good....but still.....how can ya pass up 3 instant damage:)

And it's common!!!!:D

D

DÛke

...believe it or not, Dementia, even at 4 and 6 damage, I'd still think it's weaker than cards like Shock, Urza's Rage, and Lightning Blast even.

When there's a troublesome creature on the board that you must get rid of or probably lose the game, you don't want to mess with situational cards like Blazing Salvo, instead, you want to get rid of the creature for sure. More even, if you want to finish the opponent, you don't want to mess with Blazing Salvo...

The single (R) casting cost and Instant speed is semi-irrelevant, because for speed, your leaving the way the card focuses completely to your opponent. That's IF you can play the card. Don't forget, you need a legal target in play first. Nevertheless, nothing is better than actually playing the card before making a full judgement...

A

Apollo

I don't like it. If you really need to kill a creature, it won't do the job. If your opponent is at 3 life, it won't do the job.

Basically, most of the time, it won't do what you need it to do.

Z

Zadok001

Having played with and against it, I remain of the opinion that if you're playing Red in limited, and you have 'em, you PLAY 'em. They're very powerful, and from what I saw, this environment is VERY good for burn.

D

Duel

Honestly, Blazing Salvo is rather remarkable, in limited. There's not alot of good burn in odyssey. Blazing Salvo is a great card to establish early/mid control of a game, and it's good enough to help you out in the mid/late game.... it's better than strafe.

M

MrXarvox

Seems to me that this card could be excessively powerful or bland as white bread depending on the circumstances. In limited it's an obvious addition to your deck, as is just about any burn card. it's no lightning bolt, but then, as a late-game finisher it could be valuable- "zap that critter that would protect you from mine, or die immediately. YOU choose your fate."

Q

Quill

I think this is a great card in any deck centered around doing damage to your opponent hard and fast. The casting cost is great, and its a great set up esp at the EOT. As mentioned its especially good in limited, but I think this card will find its way into G/R speed decks in constructed.

Q

Z

Zadok001

Out of curiousity, has anyone here looked closely at Shower of Coals?

3RR
Sorcery
Deal 2 damage to up to three target creatures or players.
Threshold: 4 damage to each instead.

Is that not REALLY good?

A

artifact

Salvo is an ok card for what it does but what you really want to compare to lightning bolt is Flame burst.
1R
instant
deals X damage to target creature or player where X is 2 plus the number of flame burst cards in all graveyards.
What is really cool about this card is that there are creatures when they are in the graveyard they count as flame bursts.
Pardic Firecat
3R
2/3
Haste. If Pardic Firecat is in a graveyard, flame burst's effect counts it as a flame burst.
This is the better of the 2 cheap direct damage.
At least what i think.
:)

Q

Quill

>>Out of curiousity, has anyone here looked closely at Shower of Coals?

3RR
Sorcery
Deal 2 damage to up to three target creatures or players.
Threshold: 4 damage to each instead.

Is that not REALLY good?<<

I was just looking at this one earlier today, and trying to figure out how much I like it. I'd like it a lot more if it were an instant, but I still think this is a good card. I think it is a GREAT card in multiplayer games, and i'll probably look to use it in a new multiplayer deck. Actually I think the whole threshold mechanic is great for the multiplayer environment!

Q

D

Duel

What bothers me is three different targets.... meaning if they have 1 creature on the board, and you have none, it's 2 to it, 2 to them, and 2 to you.

Flame burst isn't lightning bolt.... Flame burst is Kindle.

Here's one, though:
Barbarian Ring
Land
T: Add R to your mana pool. Barbarian Ring deals 1 damage to you
Threshold: Barbarian Ring gains "R, T: Sacrifice Barbarian Ring to deal 2 damage to target creature or player."

That's a contender for a slot in extended sligh (which, I hear, LOVES good colorless damage), no?

D

Duel

After reading it again, I'm a moron. UP TO three targets. I still don't love it, but it's better.

I

Istanbul

I think five mana is a touch pricey for the effect you get.
Loved Kindle, love Fireburst.
I dislike Barbarian Ring. Sligh should kill its opponent before Threshhold becomes an issue for EITHER player...which simply turns the Ring into a Mountain that hurts you for using it.
Finally, remember that if you somehow DO get the Ring online, you're paying 2 mana (R, and the mana you might've gotten from the Ring) and sacrificing a land for a Shock. Bleah.