Diabolic Tutor - uncommon?!?!

A

arhar

Diabolic Tutor (uncommon)
2BB
Sorcery
Search your library for a card, and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

If the card wording is right, and it IS and uncommon, then my hat is off to WoTC for this move! Whoooo!! No more $20 tutor cards!!

H

Hetemti

Eh...not bad. What I wonder is if it's balanced enough in T1 to not get restricted. Then again, in T1, it might not be good enough and never see play. Well soon know...

...either way, looking at the spoiler, they're finally getting rarity correct.

Common: Basic abilities, nothin' spetacular.
Uncommon: Workhorses for a deck, things you need to make your deck tick.
Rare: Special cards that are great to have, but not necessary to win.

Actually, the Rares in this set are kinda crappy overall, but the whole set has a good overall structure.

L

Lotus Mox

Too bad this Tutor is Rare:

Entomb (rare)
Instant
B
Search your library for a card and put that card in your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.

This card has some serious potential. And is IMO better than a 4-mana Demonic Tutor, 4 mana is quite a lot :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It seems Diabloic Tutor is a "fixed" version of Demonic Tutor, just as that green spell that costs 2GG is a "fixed" version of Regrowth (Elven Cache?). It does the same thing, just ups the cost by the color and a colorless.

R

rkoelsch

And they "fixed" balance too. Though I wonder if Balancing Act is that good. If you have one creature and 4 lands he could conceivably keep 4 creature and one land and that hardly seems balanced.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It seems Balancing Act is not really equal to Balance, you choose the overall number of permanents, not lands, creatures, and cards in hand.

It seems more like that white spell from Tempest Block or US (can't remember which) than Balance.

Z

Zadok001

It's good, though. After all, it IS massive card advantage. The trick, of course, is to be the fellow who ends up with four creatures and 1 land. And have LOTS of burn. :) W/R's new best friend.

R

rkoelsch

Like balance it seems to work best with stuff you can sac for an advantage. Imagine this with liberate requires too much mana though.

H

Hetemti

You might be thinking of Cataclysm, where each player sacs everything but a creature, land...and artifact? Dunno exactly.

It's no Balance, but it will see use, as a sideboard if nothing else. I have Balance in my Pet R/W deck...if I get landscrewed, or they nuke my creatures, I pull them down with me.

E

EricBess

Basically, Zadok, I would say that you need to drop Spirit Monger and Overgrown Estate. Then cast Balancing Act and hope it doesn't get countered when you sac all your land.

D

Dune Echo

In 5-Color Magic or a slower environment, it's good. Also, it will be affordable! WHAT A NOVEL CONCEPT! THANK YOU WIZARDS!

Lotus Mox: There's an easier to get version of Entomb, it's called Buried Alive. That along with Entomb would be great with a Living Death/Twilight's Call/Volrath's Shapeshifter deck.

G

Ghargon

oh yay this may have renewed my faith in WOTC :)
look a little more balanced now .... lets see how long it will remain un-banned:confused:

H

Hellion

it's a rumor spoiler not a confirmed one. but putting it as an uncommon is alrite because it costs 4 mana...but it has a powerful ability though....

consider it as a poor mana's demonic tutor.

Z

Zadok001

It's real - I have one in my hands. :) Of course, I have to question a four mana tutor. I usually want to tutor FOR a four mana spell, not use a four mana spell to tutor...

But STILL...

I

Istanbul

Just remember that it's a way to find whatever you need, whenever you need it.

Ready to cast that D. Angel? Go get it.
Need a Vindicate? Go get it.
Got your eyes on an Agenda? Go get it.

Diabolic Tutor. Like extra copies of every important card in your library.

R

Rando

Diabolic Tutor:

Taking up a slot that could have been filled by something usefull in the first place.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily. Instead of having only 4 copies of your great card, you now can have up to 8, with the Tutor.

R

Rando

If you have to have tutors to get the cards you need to win, outside of a combo deck, then something is wrong with your deck to begin with.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What if you basically made your deck 56 cards (probably 58, at this Tutor's casting cost)? And the Tutors are just there to get ANY card? Any "silver bullet"?

Instead of have a 4/60 chance of drawing that card, you have 6/60. And since it's a fairly high casting cost, presumably it'll be mid-game anyway when things have stabilized and maybe you need that "breakthrough" card.

I'm guessing you dislike Tutors.... outside of combo decks? :p

A

arhar

Originally posted by Rando
If you have to have tutors to get the cards you need to win, outside of a combo deck, then something is wrong with your deck to begin with.
LOL! I'm sorry, but that was really funny. What about Jon Finkel's deck from USA Nationals 2000, which was based around the idea of having one copy of each "silver bullet" card and fetching it with Vampiric Tutor?