Theron Martin suspended for five years!

H

Hetemti

...hmmm...by Tournament Report, do they mean that little slip you fill out after a round, or one of those online "look what I did friday night" thingies...if the latter, this is obscene. What makes them think the DCI's going to be around in 2006, anyway?

I hope I don't open one of my sealed deck boosters upside down at the prerelease...I might get 20-to-life for Failure to Observe Protocol and Unsportsmanlike Conduct.

Z

Zadok001

I don't know about Theron, but I think the other two are being blamed for MAKING UP entire tournament reports for the DCI - i.e., reporting tourneys to the DCI for ratings that never actually happened to increase their own ratings. As for Theron... I await the inevitable article.

H

Hetemti

If they lied to bolster their rankings, then to the spiked pit with the miscreants.

Z

Zadok001

Agreed. :) As for Theron, well, as I said, I'll wait for the article.

I

Istanbul

Good.

I'm tired of cheaters getting a slap on the wrist. If this guy is guilty, nail his oink to the wall as an example to others.

R

Rathian

It is sad to see that such cheating goes on.... It is really worth getting the 5 year ban from a game that is so fun?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Theron certainly makes some strong points and I thought it was well-written. Again, I don't know what's going on fully as he admits.

Here's a question: if people's points are going up due to false reports, aren't others going down? Technically, shouldn't THEY be guilty of false reporting? If so, there should be alot more than four people on that list.... pretty much everyone who plays at that store.

A

arhar

After reading Theron's article, all I can say is YEAH RIGHT!!! This is called "ratting out your buddy so I would get a lesser sentence." Heh. Yeah, sure. "I admit there's money on my bank account, but honestly, your honor, I don't know where it came from! Someone else put it there! My broker did it! He's busted anyway, so it won't hurt to blame it on him!" :rolleyes:

Z

Zadok001

The question is, arhar, was he actually involved? While I was in my Freshmen year of highschool, someone would continuously leave me notes in my locker, informing or warning me about random things (some of which eventually became fairly relevant). I benefited greatly from those notes, but I still have no idea who kept giving them to me. Now, there was no illegal activity involved in that case, but if there was, would it be fair to punish ME for it? I think not.

I don't know whether Mr. Martin was involved directly in this, but my guess would be that he was not. While it is possible, he makes some excellent arguments for which I can see no direct counter-argument.

I have to withold judgement on Mr. Martin's situation. I WILL say that I think Kenny Crawford should recieve equal punishment for this, since he DID, by his own admission, give himself DCI points through this method once.

D

Duel

Wow, you had a stalker? Cool.

Look, Theron's point is valid. If he can prove (and I stress prove) ignorance of the entire thing, then he should be let off. Otherwise, though, he deserves some sort of punishment. Myself, I'd settle for taking away the points he earned. 5 years still seems excessive.

S

sageridder

Did he know I don't think there is any way to prove it either way.
Was he responcible,tough call he didn't file the results so I guess no.Should he have relized,I would hate to think we would be held responcible to have to constantly check our ratings,and tourney results for fear of a wrongly recorded result getting us banned.He did tell openly of misdeeds he witnessed at the store to the inquiry,most likely because he feared no reprecussions someone involved probally would not.I would like to see cheaters punished,but in this case I think from what I read he got a bum rap.

A

Apollo

I'll have to withold judgement too, at this point. His arguments sound good, but I'd like to think that the DCI must have had some solid proof to do that. Not that they've really earned the benefit of the doubt before.

Here's hoping somebody responds from the DCI with an article explaining their actions. Things would be a lot easier with everything out in the open.

I

Istanbul

I will say this much.

If he's guilty, I say nail his oink to the wall.
If he REALLY IS a victim in this...I'd hate to be him. The most difficult thing to prove is intent.

A

arhar

C'mon. Let's assume Theron's speaking the truth....

99.9% of pro, or trying-to-be pro players (and Indiana state champion certainly falls into that category) check their DCI ratings all the time. I am absolutely sure, even if he didn't know, at one point he looked at his ratings, saw the increase, looked at the tourney history and understood what was going on. If THEN he would've contacted the DCI, nothing would've happened to HIM. But he preferred not to rat out his friend, and got punished, RIGHTLY. End of story.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If his ratings were "crashing" due to poor performances at PTQs or PTs, there would be no reason to check his ratings because he knew they should have been always going down.

Plus I don't know if tourney's tell you this, but if you know how much one is worth and can figure it out "in your head" (or on paper), then you probably have a general idea of what your rating is and don't need to check the "official" standing at the DCI.