Dark Ritual is gone...

J

jcredberry

With the banning of Dark Ritual in extended play and the non-appearence in Invasion, do you think is it possible that WoTC will not include it on Oddisey???

If it's not reprinted, what do you think of the future for Phyrexian Scuta... I think it is a very good card, but just because of the Ritual.... Without it, I'm not so sure it will see play at all...

Thoughts???

T

Turtlewax Joe

No one cares about life total as long as it's above 1, so the scuta is like a 5/5 for 4 mana. Of course it will see play, IF counter decks die down!

On the note of Dark Ritual, I don't think they will reprint it in Odessey purely to see what the enviroment is like without it. If the inviroment is WAY to slow we will see it in 8th edition. And if no prominent black becks appear after masques block rotates out we WILL DEFINENTLY be seeing a Ritual in 8th edition! Or maybe the DCI is playing with our minds and is going to reprint it in Odessey! :p

T.J.

G

Gizmo

Ding dong, the witch is dead, the wicked witch of the west is dead...

H

Hellion

Only WotC knows whether they will reprint God 'o' Ritual.

Maybe someone can ask some chap in R & D?

:confused:

F

FoundationOfRancor

I think Turtlewax Joe has reached the most logical conclusion here. Wotc probablly wont reprint it in Odys, mainly to just see what happens. No one reallys knows what would happen; would it kill black? (I doubt it, because the only decks that use it in type II were Mono-Black speed, and thats not even all that big)

T

Turtlewax Joe

Even if ritual was reprinted black speed would not be viable. It also lacks Priest of Gix, Pleague Lord, and The Wumpus when it rotates. And it will never EVER be viable in extended again unless the Ritual gets taken offf the banned list.

T.J.

*looks at self in mirror and thinks to self: How did I get so knowledgeable abou Black? I've only plaid it once.*

J

jcredberry

I'm not saying black is dead without DR, but I love to play a Plague Spitter on turn 1, or a Persecute on turn 2... Speed (without calling the deck that way) is always what you look for on Black... The speed only DM can give... I'll mourn for it if it's not reprinted on Oddysey...

G

Gizmo

you are fighting the trend to multicolored decks. Ritual lets you play mono decks too easily. You can persecute turn 3 very easily in any number of ways, and its still strong, you get just as many cards.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Black IS dead in extended. The last prominent deck that was prominent was control black before urza stuff rotated. now it just sucks.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Oh! and how are you JUST NOW finding out that the Ritual is banned? How long has it been since you played extended...?

T.J.

J

jcredberry

I found it the very next day it happened... I was just including it on context to get your thoughts about a possible exclusion of DR on Oddysey.... :rolleyes:

W

Wonka

I haerd they want to just get rid of dark Ritual in every format.

I

Istanbul

Dark Ritual is going?
Good.
Can you think of any other spells that give you three mana on the first turn with one land and one other card?
Ritual's speed is comparable to (but not equal to, before you jump down my throat) Black Lotus.

R

r00tg04t

Well, Odessy is like the beginning of a whole new 'era', i am guessing they will have something in the next block that is similar to a ritual, or something like that, maybe a lake of the dead wannabe (not as good of course lol) but black is all about speed for life (and i mean yer life in the game not that "gangster rap" Fuzzy Bunny Rabbit Heads lol) anyways, if they did reprint it in 8th edition that is almost 2 years away when it rotates out unless they bust out something amazing in the next block W/B and mono B will suck

H

HumanError

As a fervent black player, I firmly believe that black needs Dark Ritual. Without it, it has a lot of trouble getting under blue's counter wall, because the instant blue hits turn two. there's a wall there that black can't deal with. Green, red, and white both swarm blue relatively quickly (which still isn't COMPLETELY effective against it anyhow). But black...black's a neuter. Black has little to nothing going for it right now past the powerhouse that is Duress. On my turn one, though, I'd rather play a Ritual and a healthy-sized creature than a Duress.

If WotC permanently gets rid of Ritual, which would be ridiculous since it's been around for this long constantly keeping black as a contender in the tournament scene, then they'd better find other ways to speed black up, because it's going to get left behind.

They keep neutering black. First, black's schtick was fast power at a high price, but then you'll notice that the biggest black creature in 7th Edition was a 3/3, which is total crap. WHITE had a bigger creature. Suicide black is gone in standard and extended.

Give us back our Ritual! I'm sick of blue ruling the roost, black's the worst color to be playing right now.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Call me optimistic, but I think WOTC will make adjustments to black so that the loss of Dark Ritual will not be too noticeable. They did the same with Lightning Bolt before it rotated out; before, when designing creatures, they had to stand the "Bolt" test: how good can they get it if 1 mana, 3 points of damage could be done to it. Then it was Incinerate damage and now (I think) it's Shock damage.

But anyway, I think black will get compensated in other ways.

C

Chaos Turtle

I agree, Spiderman. Either there will be a weaker (more fair, to some people) version of the Ritual, an alternative version of it (like that spellshaper ritual chick) or black cards will be costed slightly less than they are now (and I wouldn't count on saving more than half a mana).