"BOOMERANG. what the hell?!"

P

Pezmeister

why does every blue mage worth their salt (and quite a few who aren't) back boomerang these days?

and where the hell were all of you during the legends era, when i was about the only person in my state to recognize that it was useful?

L

Lotus Mox

Do they play Boomerang?

I think Rushing River is generally superior to Boomerang, unless you want to bounce lands or your Stasis with only 2 islands untapped, and in Extended you also have Capsize which is better than Boomerang too IMO.

G

Gizmo

Boomerand is useful, of course. Its one of blues few ways of handling permanents. Rarely gets used in competition though, unlike Capsize.

Z

Zadok001

Boomerang is one of my favorite blue cards, due to sheer versitility. It's cheap, it does one thing, and it does it well. The other similar options can have more powerful effects, but this one's just the BEST.

E

Ephrils

Boomerang definitely does it best. For bounce, its the first crd I think of, followed by Hookwink, due to it's slightly restricted bounce ability but easier mana cost, then Capsize, since it's best at late game.

I

Istanbul

I use Boomerang over Capsize, River, or other bouncers for the following reasons:

1) 2 mana to cast. Bounce a problem permanent at the end of your turn, have a counter ready when you try to put it back down.
2) Versatility. Bounces *anything*.
3) Both mana are of the same color.

These reasons are why it's better than Capsize (best with buyback), Rushing River, and Recoil, respectively.

N

NeuroDeus

has everybody forgot Unsummon? I prefer having 2 Unsummon and 2 Boomerang in a deck instead of 4 Boomerangs...

N

NeuroDeus

Rushing River does not bounce ANY permanent... (it can only bounce non-land permanents) Temporal Spring super-bounces ANY permanent as well...

E

Ephrils

I use Unsummons too. It's rare to find a creatureless deck nowadays, so they'lll usually be useful. Plus I find the name somewhat funny, since the old cards used "Summon Bird" or "Summon Dragon", it was like "No, I was wrong, go back home! I'm unsummoning you." or something :p That was really bad, but I cant think of any other way to explain it.

N

NeuroDeus

Well they are probably comparing the 'Three Kings of Bouncy-Bounce' i.e. Rushing River, Boomerang and Capsize...

Waterfront Bouncer anyone?

P

Pezmeister

the point of this thread was to try and figure out why there's been a sudden and marked increase in the number of people who play boomerang. i've always thought it was a good card, but since i'm not familiar with the ibc environment, i'm wondering as to why boomerang suddenly gets played a lot more.

i still play the unsummon/remove soul combo, too...

E

Ephrils

It's its ability to deal with any permanent, although only temporarily. Which I think is enough for blue in the format, since it never seems to be short of playable counterspells.