Here's yet another one...

I

Istanbul

Scorch (R)
Instant
Scorch deals 2+X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of red spells you have successfully cast this turn.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, at worst we have a Shock, at best we have ??? Depending on card manip cards like Timetwister or something... My gut feeling is add some type of X in the casting cost (X-1? X-2?) or something 'cause it could get huge.

M

maraud234

I don't know about you, but the most amount of spells I ever cast in a single turn is around 3. Much less if the spells are of the same color. I think it should be changed to something dealing with how many red permanents you have.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Since no environment was specified, I assume it has to be valid for ALL types (Standard, Classic, Extended, etc) and in the older ones, you can easily cast more red spells with Timetwister/Wheel of Fortune/etc. That's what I was thinking about.

If it was just for Standard, it'd probably be okay as it is (since I know little about that environment anyway).

I

Istanbul

Yeah...I knew as I was typing it that R might be a little low for CC.

How about 1R?

F

FoundationOfRancor

1R is pretty fair.

Or a R Sorcery, but that'd blow.

P

Pezmeister

it should cost at least 2r.

and even then, consider:

i have 6 mountains in play.

-> cast incinerate, deal 3 damage (4 lands untapped)
-> cast lightning bolt, deal 3 damage (3 lands untapped)
-> tap remaining 3 lands for mana
-> sacrifice four mountains, cast fireblast twice, deal 8 damage (1 land (tapped), rrr in mana pool)
-> cast "scorch", deal 6 damage

that's 20 damage over 5 cards right there, and i can see something like that happening pretty frequently in t1, assuming you play burn. it gets even harsher when pared with scent of cinder.

G

Godself

Scorch is best at 1R. At R, not only is it undercost, but also gives people a reason not to play Shock. Now, I don't think a card should be made to cancel another card's power. If it has been done in the past, then we can forgive WotC for *that* matter. Hell, we've forgiven them for Urza's Saga.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Pezmeister, I think your wrong. Yes, I suppose that situation could happen, but there are alot better combo's in type 1 that dont require 5 cards.

P

Pezmeister

Originally posted by FoundationOfRancor
Pezmeister, I think your wrong. Yes, I suppose that situation could happen, but there are alot better combo's in type 1 that dont require 5 cards.
yeah, but how many does red have?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Whats your point? It doesent matter if red has fast kill cards or not; its competition does. If anything, Scorch woulld help red.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think the point is to make sure that it can't make a turn 1 or 2 kill in Type 1. Obviously this is not a real card and I don't know how serious you want to make it, but if you can make a deck with this that consistently kills in turn 1 or two, then it's a problem.

I'm not saying that you can with this card and I'm not familiar enough with Type 1 to make such a deck; I'm just saying that's one thing you have to look out for.

P

Pezmeister

Originally posted by FoundationOfRancor
Whats your point? It doesent matter if red has fast kill cards or not; its competition does. If anything, Scorch woulld help red.
no, no it wouldn't. burn is already a pretty mindless deck as it is, printing "scorch" would turn it into something akin to prosbloom when not playing a counter deck.

I

Istanbul

What does Burn do?
Play cheap spells.

What would it cost to make Scorch deal 4 damage for 1R?
1RRR. In one turn. And that's a *minimum*. That's if no spells cost, say, 1R.

Scorch could NEVER turn a burn deck into ProsBloom, unless you have a deck where you can cast the whole thing every turn. In which case, Scorch is the least of your problems.

I mean, you realize that Scorch would *barely* be useable in Sligh, right? It's pretty lame unless you have at least 2 cards in hand, AND you have to cast them on the same turn, AND they both have to be red spells. And even then, it's 1R for 4 damage. OOOOOOH.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What would it cost to make Scorch deal 4 damage for 1R?
1RRR. In one turn. And that's a *minimum*. That's if no spells cost, say, 1R.
Well, if you take from Pezmeister's example and use Fireblast, the minimum would be 1RR.

And I'm thinking you can get 1RRR even on turn 2 in Type 1 quite easily. So we're talking 2 Bolts, a Fireblast, and Scorch for 14 points of damage on turn 2. No telling what you did on turn 1.

And isn't Sligh mostly mono-red anyway? Seems your third condition wouldn't really be a problem...

I think the card idea is good, I just see it undercosted in certain environments.

I

Istanbul

And I'm thinking you can get 1RRR even on turn 2 in Type 1 quite easily. So we're talking 2 Bolts, a Fireblast, and Scorch for 14 points of damage on turn 2. No telling what you did on turn 1.
It'd better be 6 damage. Assuming that you somehow do get 1RRR on turn 2 (which would be a Lotus or...er...a Lotus), that's...

Turn 1: Mountain, Bolt. Opponent at 17 life.
Turn 2: Mountain, Lotus, Bolt, Bolt, Fireblast, Scorch. Opponent at 3 life. You have no permanents in play and no cards in hand.

Not a position I'd want to be in.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wel, as I said, I'm not too familiar with Type 1 and it's entirely possible that you can't] make a turn 1 or 2 kill consistently, and of course this is barring Force of Will, and of course these are ideal hands (which if they come up consistently is the problem), but:

Going first:

Turn 1: Mountain, Mox Ruby, Chain Lightning, Bolt
Turn 2: Mountain, Lotus, Bolt, Wheel of Fortune, Bolt, Chain Lightning, Fireblast, Scorch, still have two cards left over

Going second you have one more card.

I

Istanbul

Enhance (2)
Enchant Creature
You may play Enhance with any kind of mana, provided that at least one of the mana spent is colored.
If W is spent to play Enhance, enchanted creature gets first strike.
If G is spent to play Enhance, enchanted creature gets trample.
If U is spent to play Enhance, enchanted creature gets flying.
If R is spent to play Enhance, enchanted creature gets haste.
If B is spent to play Enhance, enchanted creature gets 'Sacrifice this creature: Target player chooses and discards a card.'
The shape of the land tends to dictate the shape of the armies that fight for it.

Thoughts?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So if two colored mana is used, it gains both of the associated abilities?

Are there multicolored cards out there that do a similiar thing? (I'm thinking yes, but not positive)

D

DÛke

...Enhance's concept it similar to Fantasy, a card I made in my thread "Is the Magic world ready?" Cool card.