What is a bear?

Q

Quill

I've seen many articles written mentioning the 'bears' of Invasion block...what does this term mean? I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly?) that this isn't a 'Creature-Bear.

Q

G

Gerode

A 2/2 creature for 2 mana, named after the green Grizzly Bears. In Invasion, there were 5 "bears", one for each friendly color combination, that had protection from an enemy color. In Apocalypse, there are enemy-colored bears with special abilities.

Q

Quill

Thanks..that solves a question thats been bugging me for a while now :)

Q

Killer Joe

"Grizzly Bear 'O Grizzly Bear
a sleeping in a cave.
Grizzly Bear 'O Grizzly Bear
a sleeping in a cave.
Please be very quite,
Very, very quiet.
If you wake him
should you shake him
He'll be very mad!"

Z

Zadok001

... much to the great dismay of U/R players everywhere, might I add.

For the record, the term Bear did originate from Grizzly Bears, a 2/2 for 1G. Thus, all 2/2s for 2 mana are called "Bears," regardless of special abilities. Rest assured, though, no one plays Grizzlies.

T

theorgg

Wha' Chu talkin' about, Foo?

Grizzly Bears is a fine two-drop if you can't find somthing better.

2/2 for 2 ain't a bad deal! It's even better whens omthing's tacked onto it's Cute Kitty Cat

E

Ephrils

It gets more complicated than that for determining a Grizzley :p Since a few other cards run real close, have the same cost, came before, or are superior than a Grizzley. There's a thread on it somewhere.

I go by the original cost and power/toughness format of G1 for a 2/2. like Fresh Volunteers are also a 2/2, but for 1W.

Changing the mana cost does slightly change the abilities they give the creature, so they aren't Grizzley's to me by definition. Maybe slightly evolved or de-evolved Bears though.

Most 2/2 for 2 creatures are usually predeccessors of the White/Black Knight or the Grizzley Bear though.

I

Istanbul

But theorgg, there's ALWAYS something better to run for 1G. I would never ever run Grizzly Bears in T2 for the next year or two, for example, because Nomadic Elf will be around. Sure, it may not be MUCH of a special ability, but it's better than nothing.

Grizzly Bears are a good bargain...but there's almost always something better.

G

Gizmo

There are basically three common terms like this:

Grizzlies are 2/2 for 2 mana.

Gray Ogres are 2/2 for 3 mana, but it is usually implied that the card has little or no useful ability - ie Shoreline Raider is called a Gray Ogre in most matches, Phyrexian Rager is a 'cantrip Gray Ogre'. Arc Mage is an Arc Mage though.

Hill Giant are 3/3 for 4 mana, and again it is implied that they have no useful ability - ie we might say "you`d play maindeck Dodecapod only if you don`t mind a colorless Hill Giant".

Grizzlies is not really a derogatory term, as a 2/2 for 2 IS actually pretty good. But both Gray Ogres and Hill Giants are meant to be derogatory, or at least imply a level of sub-optimalness - ie "Trench Wurm is actually pretty good in IBC, it`s not so hot against Domain, but at least it`s still a Hill Giant".

I

Istanbul

*tries to think of a good ogre...not 2/2 for 3, but actual Ogre*

Wow, these guys suck almost as much as Orcs!

P

Purple_jester

I know a bear! His name's Rando, but he hasn't been around lately. :p

And I happen to like grizzlies. I made a fun deck once. Nothing but 2/2's for 2 mana. Called it my Care Bear Stare Deck.

It didn't win as often as the real Care Bears do, but it was still fun. ;)

I

Istanbul

Bah. That's like saying that Orcs are tolerable because of Ironclaw Orcs.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder why people think of "Gray Ogres" rather than "Pearled Unicorns". Both were in the same Alpha set, right?

Or do they? :p

P

Pezmeister

Originally posted by Spiderman
I wonder why people think of "Gray Ogres" rather than "Pearled Unicorns". Both were in the same Alpha set, right?

Or do they? :p
i think it has something to do with the fact that red originally got CUTESY-WUTESY TURTLES for creatures, whereas white had some quality weenies.

or maybe it has something to do with the fact that gray ogre got cloned into raging bull, and then gobiln hero. thankfully, wizards took the hint, even though it took a few years.