Multiplayer Stuffs

C

Cateran Emperor

Alright, it's insanely early in the morning, or insanely late at night. Frankly, the line is just blurry by now. Nonetheless, since I don't have the time nor the focus for it right now, I need the help of the CPA to help me finish up a deck.

The bet was that I could not build a winning Green deck that had only one creature card in it - a single Ball Lightning. I am not allowed to use any burn spells that can hit players, and other than the Lit the deck must be all green. I am not allowed any lands that produce non green or non-colorless mana (so no duals, pains, taps, etc.) As such, I quickly came up with a way to win - Ball Lightning/Oath of Druids/Gaea's Blessing, or literally recycling my whole library for 6 damage every single turn.

Here's the catch - I need a way to stay alive. There are 4 other players in the game (one of each other color), so I need to survive until at the very least turn 19 (turn 2 Oath, turn 3 the Druidic Lightning engine starts)

As such, I need Green non-creature spells that can do a few things.

1. Keep me alive that long. I need some kind of passive defense system to keep me from being smashed.

2. Discard cards at will. If I draw the Lightning, I'm screwed until I get 8 cards in my hand, something I know the Black mage will not allow me to do.

3. Draw cards/search my library. Obviously, I need the Oath to start things up.

Any suggestions at all would be welcome. Of course, this is insanely hard to do, so I'm not expecting very good results. If we do this though, I think this could well be the craziest deck ever.

By the way, don't ask how I was dared to build this, it's a long story that I can't remember most of this late(early?) in the night(morning?)

G

Gerode

In a situation like that, I would personally use the Fecundity/Cluster/Altar combo, and use Squallmonger and Urza's Armor to win. Oh yeah, you can't use Squallmonger and Armor... Hurricane and Stream of Life?

But since you will probably use the build you just mentioned, here's what I can think of:

1. Saproling Cluster, Saproling Burst (they aren't "Creature Cards" :) ), Elven Palisade

2. Saproling Cluster is all I can think of.

3. Worldly Tutor for the Lightning, whole bunch of cycling cards for drawing in general.

You may want to add Wild Mights, Giant Growths, MIght of Oaks, and the sort to make your Ball Lightnings pack a little more punch when you need them to.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
1. Wall of Blossoms? Oops, you need a non-creature spell... isn't there a "current" card that acts like Goblin War Drums (Tangle something?)

2. ?

3. Sylvan Library/Mirri's <something> (the one that is used during upkeep instead of the draw step) If you can use artifacts, Scrolling Rack

J

John`O

Assuming that you are not allowed Artifacts, token generators or
man lands. A few ideas

Card drawing

Rowen
Sylvan Library
Abundance
Mulch
Compost

Defence

Drop of Honey
Constant Mists
Hailstorm
Taste of Paradise

Not many ways in green to discard Manabond maybe?

John

R

rkoelsch

I see John convered most of the stuff I was looking for. Another Idea is Aluren which would allow you to cast the Ball.

E

Ephrils

Hmmm...

1. Constant Mists was mentioned, but the ol' fashioned Fog has it's place a well :p Plus it keeps getting reprinted. For the red splash your using, I suggest also using Undergrowth from Alliances. It has a kicker in it, before Kicker existed :p By paying something like 2R additionally, your creatures still deal damage, but your opponent's do not. I'm throwing Needle Storm into the mix as well. Ball Lightning doesn't fly, so why should you care if it kills all the flyers?

2. I see 2 ways to do what you want, either something like a Hymn To Tourach which says "Target Player" on it, and simply target yourself for discard, or be able to draw enough cards to get to 8 or past it. Well of Knowledge in Weatherlight at least does one of those, everyone can use it though. At a cost of 2 during your draw step you can draw an additional card. Green Spellshapers should work also if everything must be green. The cheaper the activation cost the better.

3. Everything's been suggested already, so I'll resuggest Well of Knowledge.

D

Dead

Dual Nature gives you extra ball lightnings to smack people around with, but has the added problem of all their attackers causing double trouble for you so can't arrive until, say, the turn before you're going to drop the ball lightning on them.

Also on the doubling up theme, berserk is a natural choice, and by turn 19 a blanchwood armour should do nicely even though it's only a one-shot.

Besides token-generators, there's the option of man-lands, or man-land creators such as natural affinity, the life half of life/death, living terrain etc.... depends on how lose the definition of no non-ball-lightning creatures is really.

M

Mikeymike

Alot of the stuff I mentioned has been mentioned already

1. Constant Mists, Maze of Ith (legal?), Respite, and Taste of Paradise (far superior to stream of life) can keep you in the game for awhile. But I think your best defense will be an artifact that slows down the game, like Storage Matrix. Winter Orb could work to but you never want to play the Orb in Multiplayer.

2. I can't think of good discard besides Grafting Skullcap (boo me no like) and Null Brooch, but Scroll Rack would work very well for what you are trying to do.

3. I would go with the Sylvan Library/Abundance combo, which also happens to work very well with the Scroll Rack

**You also need an alternate win conidition, what if someone STP's your Ball Lightning? Hurrincane, Cursed Scroll and Hornet Cannon are worth consideration.

M

Mundungu

I didnt see that you were restricted with a certain card pool, but some berserks and regrowth (and the green regrowth that brings back only green cards) could do some damage ...

Also, do you need to kill with the ball lightning only ?

If not you can go the saproling generation route, hurricane, nature's revolt + overrun with some kind of turboland deck..

You also have the tree top villages, stalking stone, chimeric idol, chimeric staff to play around with, or are those considered creatures....

The harder would be to survive the early round, since you'll have no defense...

4 overrun
3 nature's revolt
3 collective unconsciousness
4 horn of greed
4 exploration
1 fastbond (more if you have no card restrictions)

4 chimeric idol
4 treetop village
4 spontaneous generation
4 "cycling" green lands (slippery karst?)
3 gaea's cradle
22 Forest

something along those lines ...
maybe with coat of arms as well ??

M

Mikeymike

Unfortunately Coat of Arms can't work due to the following D'Angelo ruling:

www.crystalkeep.com
Animated lands and artifacts have no creature type (unless their text says they Count As a given creature type), so they are unaffected by this card. [D'Angelo 98/10/30] One exception to this is that animated Legendary lands are of creature type Legend. [DeLaney 98/12/12]

I've tried this sneakiness before only to have it squashed while playing the deck, oh well.

I was also thinking about Jinxed Ring, as one of your opponents is guaranteed to have a creature they don't want to sac, while you'll never have to worry about holding onto it. Sneaky, and effective. Altar of Dimentia could be annoying too.

While you're at it, you might as well play with 4 of every Tempest block artifact in you deck :D.

E

Ephrils

I'm curious. you're playing Green with one set way tosomehow get a win along with deck restrictions. The other players are the remaining colors. Do they have similiar things set for them?