Anime

N

nodnarb24

OK people I need your help. I'm trying to figure out which anime series to watch next.

Here is a list of series I have already seen:
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Serial Experiments Lain
  • Hand Maid May
  • FLCL
  • Flame of Recca
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Love Hina
  • Trigun
  • Photon: The Idiot Adventures
  • Iria
There are probably some that are missing from the list, but oh well.

I'm also interested in Anime movies but I find that series are more in depth, entertaining, and gives me a goal to work towards (finishing the anime).

G

Gizmo

Guyver

Surely you`ve seen Akira, Patlabor, and Ghost In The Shell though (I know they aren`t series so wouldn`t be on your list).

G

Goku

I would recommend, if you could get it, the Big O.
It and DBZ are my personal favorites (And not the Cartoon Network versions!)
Other series that are worth watching are:

Dragonball
Dragonball Z
(GT is, quite frankly, messed up)
Hades Project: Zeorymer (That one's hard to find, though)

R

RabidKimba

Like Gizmo said, I liked Akira and Ghost in the Shell, and I also like Princess Mononoke. I don't know where exactly to get it in the states, though... maybe blockbuster has it by now. Also, I don't know why, but I enjoy Lupin the 3rd. :D

U

Ura

Kimba: Mononoke hime was released on video about 5 months ago. So Blockbuster should have it by now.

Gizmo: Patlabor was a series, it also spawned OAVs and movies to boot, though the first movie stunk imho.

nodnarb: Check these out.

• Tenchi Muyo OAV series, the predessesor of Photon and much better. :)
    El-Hazard OAV series, not the Wanderers! (this is where I get my nick name from ;) )
    Oh! My Goddess
    Your Under Arrest
    The Ultimate Teacher (warning, this was really wierd)
    Kamagure Orange Road (like love hina, but with a bit ESP)
    All Purpose Cultural: Cat girl Nuku Nuku
    Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    Hyper Police
    Gun Smith Cats, if you can get it subbed all the better
    Slayers
    Slayers NEXT
    Slayers Try
    Record of Lodoss War

and those are just for starters. If my website was working you could see my old anime club's reviews on them all.
Cheers

N

nodnarb24

I guess I should list the movies I have seen also.
  • Akira
  • Ghost in The Shell
  • MD Geist
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Ninja Scroll
  • Ninja Ressurrection
  • Street Fighter 2
  • X
  • Street Fighter Zero
  • Wicked City
  • Sin
  • Many more I can't remember at the moment

Ura: My brother has Record of Lodoss War on DVD but I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet. He also has the first 2 DVD's of El-Hazard.

Goku: I can't stand DBZ. I absolutely hate it! The only thing I think is worse is Pokemon and some others that I don't know about.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Trigun is soooo good, I've seen the entire series, and I own tapes 1,2,5,8. the series is very slapstick comedy, but a lot of serious storytelling goes on, especially in the later tapes(the best one being #8)

besides who couldn't love a chain smoking, gun wielding, traveling priest?

Oh and Nodnarb, As for a series to recommend, I'd have to go with my all time favorite(I have all 24 tapes of this 3 saga series)......The Slayers, The Slayers Next, and The Slayers Try

T

theorgg

Well, Vampire Hunter D is an excellent one that you havn't seen, but it could be tricky to find. Heavy Metal ][ is a good watch-through, too, but it isn't anime, and neither is American Pop...

If you can find it, the Uncensored Street Fighter ][][ movie is good, but be prepared to spend quite a bit on it, for it's tough to find in the "R" version...

N

nodnarb24

Orgg: I have seen Vampirre Hunter D but I remembered it about an hour after I made the post so I didn't bother to list it. I have also seen Heavy Metal, I liked it. Also I have seen both versions of Street Fighter.

Another series that I just remembered that I watched is Angel Cop.

T

Turtlewax Joe

The only anime series I like is Gundam Wing. I love my Gundam;) GOOOO Heavey Arms!

G

Goku

I thought Gundam was interesting... but I was a bit shocked when I saw the unedited movies and episodes, and saw Heero's and Duo's "interesting" *cough* action, as well as Troa and Quatre doing the same thing. Anyway, my favorite mobile suit was Deathscythe Hell.

Mobile Suit Gundam was very good, though, or so I thought- the original series.

Gundam X is quite interesting as well.

Z

Zadok001

My universal dislike for all things animated keeps me from enjoying anime all that much, but the exceptions are Mononoke Hime and some series who's name escapes me at present (big robots, not Gundam, had the whole "alternate dimension" thing going on). If you haven't seen those, grab 'em. :)

N

Namielus

Zadok would be talking about the great series Escaflowne, at least I think, all of the robot ones seem to also have alterative dimensions also...

See Elscaflowne, I think its about done being released to DVD.

And try to find the Sweating Bullets by megadeath music video featureing Delandu. It rocks imho.

G

Goku

Perhaps you should take a look at the Macross Plus movies. I found them quite enjoyable, more so than Robotech, at least.

M

MrXarvox

GASARAKI!

It's like a much more detailed, less childish and more realistic Evangelion. nummy sweeeetness, yessssssssssssss

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

you should show up for anime club next year Xarvox. We'll either be watching the Slayers or Sorcerer Hunters.

M

MrXarvox

I will, most likely... I'll be around to visit Theri, so why not?

U

Ura

If anyone is interested, myself and my old anime club did some very brief reviews on various anime series. So if your looking for something to watch you may be able to get an idea from there. Its posted at my crap heap of a website if you want to check it out. Be warned though some of the sections are down and giving 404's and it doesn't seem to like Netscape 4.7 at all, so use IE if you have it. :(
www.crosswinds.net/~ura/sunbeam.htm

P

Prince RXI

I also vote for you to watch: 008 MS Team; Escaflowne; and the Macross stuff (but not Robotech, I have the whole thing on tape somewhere, I'm glad I don't know where though)

Prince RXI, is really into anime