Bad Posts

G

Goku

It has come to my attention that there are some members of the CPA that, on their H/W lists, post cards that they have and do not want to trade.

Now, I would think that one would only post his/her 'have' cards, on the list, that he/she would actually trade.

I am not talking about cards that are on the list that have been traded away; I am talking about cards that the person has, but, when asked if they would trade them, reply "No, I wouldn't want to trade that."

To further clarify my position, I will provide a nameless example. I look at Person's cards. I say to Person, "I want this. Is there anything that you are looking for for that?" And Person replies, "No, I wouldn't want to trade those cards."
"For anything?"
"For anything. I just really have the cards in the list for show. It gets people's attention, so that they will look at the other stuff."

When I heard that statement, I became irritated.

I am not against people changing their minds...
I simply believe that if someone changes his/her mind about cards that he/she does not want to trade, that person should remove the cards from his/her 'Have' list.

Also, the "show" excuse, while being bad in its own right, is made worse by the fact that the person may not even have those cards (referencing the 'show' ones). They may simply be lying, and that would explain why he/she does "not want to trade them". In that case, it becomes simply a nasty thing.

At least in real businesses, doing something like that is a crime.

Z

Zadok001

Is it a crime? Isn't that the equivalent of leaving a nice car in front of a car dealer, but without a price tag? It's not illegal to say "X isn't for sale."

C

Chaos Turtle

Well, I don't want to explore the legal aspects of it, but I think it's a little shady. Nothing you can do about it though, so my suggestion would be to avoid trading with someone who does such a thing.

K

K9Archmage

or you can just ask him/her which cards he/she is willing to trade.

hoipa

H

Hetemti

Wouldn't it's presence on the person's Have List imply that? And if not, what's the point of the Have List?

|-| 0 1 |° /-\

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Chaos Turtle.

It does sound irritating. And since there are many cards around (I don't think we're talking the Power 9 here), you can probably always find someone else to trade with for those cards (although it might take a little longer). And just don't trade with that person in the future.

If enough people feel this way and boycott those who do it, then they might get the hint. <shrug>

G

Goku

Leaving a nice car in front of a car dealer without a price tag would, on the H/W list, have an equivalent, and it would look like this.
EX:
-----------------------------------
Black Lotus!!
Mox Jet!!!
Ancestral Recall!!

Haves:
...volver
etc.

Wants:
City of Br-ass
etc.
------------------------------------

Now, having a car on the have list, or, in the car analogy, having a car in the lot, with a price tag, after having been advertised (the card name being on the card list), and not selling it, is a crime in, I believe, most states.

And I like the boycott idea. Perhaps people should spread the word.

F

fuzzy510

Since I'm really into sports, I'm going to use a sports analogy.

If a Team A wants to trade with another team, Team B, Team A looks at Team B's roster. This is their "Have" list, beacuse it is the list of all of the players Team B has. If Team A is especially interested in Team B's star player, they might notify Team B, and Team B may respond saying that for whatever reason, they don't want to lose their star player right now, making him "Not Available." However, their minds could easily be swayed if Team A offers enough.

So while someone may post something on their Have list that they don't want to trade, it's an open invitation to have people offer trades that would give them a lot. There's nothing wrong with this at all.

P

PackofOmnivorousPlants

Yeah, i agree with fuzzy510, a "have" list isn't necessarily a "willing to trade" list

A

Apollo

This is different from sports because of the person initiating it. In your sports example, Team A, the team that wants the star player, initiates the trade. In our case, the person that has the cards is initiating the trade. So your scenario doesn't accurately show the situation.

If you want to use a sports metaphor, here's a better example:

Team B calls Team A and says "Do you want to trade? We have Jason Giambi!"

Team A says "OK, we'll give you Sheru for him."

Team B says: "Well, actually, we won't trade Jason Giambi. We just wanted your attention. But we will give you Bob Fick for Sheru!"

Team A says: "What are you smoking? Shove it up your ***."

A have list is really a list of cards you are willing to trade. Otherwise, you are wasting your time and others' time. I haven't really dealt here in a while, so I haven't experienced this. But just as a matter of general principle, whoever does this should be dragged out into the street and shot.

G

Goku

Thank you Apollo! He seems to have the right perspective on things.

But, unfortunately, it looks like some (botany and fur related) people want to play samantics.
"Have" does not necessarily mean "want to trade?

Okay, then, going by that logic, why don't we all post EACH AND EVERY ONE of our cards on our "have" list??? After all, we HAVE them, and that "does not necessarily mean want to trade", eh?
That fits the plant and fur logic.

And, just for clarification, these people do not want to trade these cards, period. I stated that already.

F

fuzzy510

If you have a Black Lotus, are you going to keep it quiet, or yell it out to the world? If you are like 99% of Americans, you'll let people know, because you want to flaunt it. People just take advantage of the fact that it's a "Have" list, so they list that card, because they have it. It's not a "Willing to Trade" list. If cards were being posted by people in a "Willing to Trade" list that they weren't willing to trade, then there's a problem. But what is happening right now, in my opinion, is perfectly fine, just annoying.

Oh, and Goku, I have nothing to do with fur. If I did, I would be furry510. Am I? No. I'm FUZZY510. I am FUZZ-related, not FUR-related.

C

Chernobyl Hamster

If i had a black lotus, i would keep it locked away in a titanium steel cage, and not tell anyone about it.

A

Apollo

Lol.

Actually, I have a Mox Jet. I've never put it on any "have" list, though, for the simple reason that I don't want to trade it.

If you really want to brag about your Lotus, you can make a different post in "Off Topic" saying "I HAVE A BLACK LOTUS!!! BOW DOWN BEFORE ME!!!"

But leave it off your trade list.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't trade either, but I'm pretty sure it's understood among traders that what you list under "Have" is what you're willing to trade away, and what you list under "Want" is what you want. I mean, let's take it from the "Want" perspective. Are you going to say you want Tim and another person, eager to unload his Tims, says he has five and he'll trade you for such-n-such and you say "Oh, sorry, I don't really want Tims"? Why are you wasting people's time?

IMHO, if you think you should be listing cards on your trade list that you aren't willing to trade, you shouldn't be trading. It's as easy as that.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by fuzzy510
If you have a Black Lotus, are you going to keep it quiet, or yell it out to the world? If you are like 99% of Americans, you'll let people know, because you want to flaunt it. People just take advantage of the fact that it's a "Have" list, so they list that card, because they have it. It's not a "Willing to Trade" list. If cards were being posted by people in a "Willing to Trade" list that they weren't willing to trade, then there's a problem. But what is happening right now, in my opinion, is perfectly fine, just annoying.

Oh, and Goku, I have nothing to do with fur. If I did, I would be furry510. Am I? No. I'm FUZZY510. I am FUZZ-related, not FUR-related.
Actually, I have a Beta Black Lotus. For real. And it's in decent shape.
But this is the first you've heard of it.

Is it rude to list cards in your Haves that you won't trade under any circumstances? Yes.
Is it allowable? Yes.

F

fuzzy510

.....that's it's all a matter of manners? Because, as Isty said, it's not right, but it's allowed. I also guess that we don't have any right to critique how people act....

G

Goku

I would interpret the "allowable" to mean that there is no set rule against it.

Which means that there are some people on these boards that will continue to do it, despite the fact that it is dishonorable and a waste of honest traders' time, not to mention being simply rude.

I also notice that the entire reason for my starting of this thread has come under fire. (By one person. Who most people who replied to this thread so far have disagreed with.) This shows a lack of logical reasons for the defense of the position that the posting of cards that will not be traded, is okay.

It is fine to critique other's actions, at least in situations where they affect the critic. I, for one, am quite annoyed at having my time wasted by these bad trade posts. Therefore, I have the right to critique the aforementioned actions that waste my time. And I am quite sure, as well, that there are others that agree with me. After all, the proof is in the text of this thread and almost all of the replies afterwards.

Spiderman, you are very correct. The cards under "Have" in the general "Have/Want list" are understood to be for trade. Hence the list being put in the "trading post".

I do not want to have to reiterate my previous statements. For further logical proof of my position, one can simply read the original thread and all of the replies.

I

Istanbul

They have every right to be rude in the way they post their lists.
You have every right to complain.