Wild research

M

Mundungu

nice combo that has been discussed on Beyond Dominia Mills :

Wild research + Library of leng.

They discard part being an effect, not a payment, you can use library on leng to put the card on top of the libary instead of dicarding it.

So in best case you get a demonitc tutor effect, in the worst case just a regular tutor effect.

On another note, and without considering that particular combo, I wonder if Wild reseach can make Replenish good in extended ...

L

Lotus Mox

the bad part of that combo is that Wild Research shuffles your library after you have to discard randomly, but you can always activate the Research again if you had to put the chosen card in your library.
Library of Leng is good with Wild Reseach research, but not good enough IMO.

And Replenish is banned in Extended :)

M

Mundungu

Double DOH ! for me then.

Again on of those occasions wher I should have my mouth shut.

Maybe they banned replenish - whitch wasnt as strong as survival - because wild research was coming.

G

Gizmo

I think they probably banned Replenish because it was a turn 4 kill deck (Pandemonium/SapBurst) and already a dominant extended deck.

Wild Research just isn`t very good, and certainly wouldn`t have featured as a reason to ban Replenish.

Z

Zadok001

I think Wild Research has potential as a control card, searching out specific solutions as problems present themselves.

R

Rando

I think wild research is better then most people think it is. Silver Bullett theory is nice, but in a deck with blue, at instant speed, it's wonderful.

With lots of drawing, it is rare that the tutored card gets discarded, answering every threat your opponant puts out. And although it still happens, the random discard is a tiny frustration considering the specific card choice you have.

I think that people will be surpised.

...but what the hell do I know?

M

Mikeymike

What about packing Wild Research with Squee? That's what I think I'm going to try out at least (once I figure out Apprentice or get my 4th research) while its still type 2 legal.

I don't losing 4 bullets to Squee though, although the card advantage in a long game (where Wild Research should excel) could be astounding.

Eventually I'll get around to putting a deck together.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Well, since the discard is random, I don't think it would help much.

L

Landkiller

Imagine that 3 players are using a deck with 4 each of Wild Research, Firestorm, Accumulated Knowledge, Gamble, and Kindle. By the fourth to fifth turn in a large group game, they should be able to nuke ten or more players.

L

Landkiller

oh, and prosperity and force of will go into that deck.

E

Ephrils

I'm currently using a Type 1 deck using Wild Research with 1 Swords To Plowshares. The deck has a lot of search in it and Regrowth and Gaea's Blessing for graveyard recursion. I've yet to have a time where I wasn't able to find the Swords when I needed it. It's enchantment searchability is also great, helping me to find Mind Over Matter when I can finally cast it, or No Mercy to keep creatures at least a little edgy about attacking me.

Oh yeah, thanks to the Tolarian Academy I can look for, then cast Dominate in the same turn. Saved me one time. My friend animated, then stole my Legacy Weapon from me. I had to get it back before my draw faze since I was drawn to 1 life by an Underworld Dreams, if Dominate had not been searchable, I would've been dead. Definitely a Wild Research fan here :cool: :D

G

Griffith_se

Is this good "synergy"?
Could anything good come out of this?

4 Wild Research
4 Yawgmoth's Agenda

4 Mind Burst
4 AEther Burst
4 Flameburst

M

Mikeymike

The only thing is that Mind Burst is a sorcery, so you couldn't search it out with the Wild Research.

Also, I think it might be fun to run Mirari for 2 reasons. 1) You'll have a lot of cheap instants in the deck which you'll be able to pay for their copy costs. 2) It allows you to cast '2' spells per turn if you have an Agenda out. Just a thought, but I wonder if it would work.

Last thing, Flashback instants should work well with the Research too. I can't think of any good ones in Ody (except maybe Fervent Denial but its so expensive) but maybe Torment will give us more to choose from.

There has got to be a way to abuse Wild Research to hell.

Here is a tentative decklist:
Creatures 6
4 Finkels (yeah if you can get them)
2 Crosis

Permanents 7
3 Wild Research
2 Mirari (maybe Void)
2 Y. Agenda

Instants 23
4 Flame Bursts
4 AEther Burst
4 Fact or Fiction
4 Fire/Ice
3 Rages
4 Counters or Undermines

Other good instants which deserve a look
Counters (Undermine, Counter, Fervent Denial, etc.)
Urza's Rage
Repulse
Rushing River
Recoil
Divert
Engulfing Flames (which I don't like but it seems to be gaining popularity)
Terminate (should be unecessary)

G

Griffith_se

Mind Burst, not an instant? :confused: :
Oops, I made an assumption. :)

To bad we can't use AK and Kindle.

M

Mikeymike

I re-edited my original post to include a kind-of decklist, you're too fast! :D

J

John`O

Go you do a Wild Domain ?

7 Forest
4 Island
4 Mountain
2 Swamp
1 Plains
2 Yavimaya Coast
4 Harrow
4 Rampant Growth
4 Wild Reasearch
3 Chromatic Sphere
4 Worldly Council
2 Skeletal Scrying
4 Fact or Fiction
4 Aether Burst
4 Beast Attack
2 Evasive Action
2 Pernicious Deed
2 Destructive Flow
1 Legacy Weapon

probably not that good

John

M

Mikeymike

Funny you mention a domain deck, Griffy and I tried but I ran out of ideas for a solid Domain/Research build I was happy with.

However, I still think Domain/Research with Hollistic Wisdom could be very powerful.

G

Griffith_se

I was kinda wondering if:
Arcane Labratory would also have good "synergy".
Or how about Tolarian Wind?