The Power of Blue

Y

Yamo

Blue has always been my favorite Magic color, so I decided to whip out my card boxes and create a casual theme deck that showcases all of my favorite blue abilities. Here's what I came up with. I tried to use mostly older cards, because I don't have much at all after Tempest:

1 Amnesia
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Braingeyser
1 Copy Artifact
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Recall
1 Timetwister
1 Time Walk
2 Capsize
2 Mahamoti Djinn
4 Control Magic
4 Force of Will
4 Counterspell
4 Mana Drain
1 Ivory Tower
1 Jayemdae Tome
1 Jester's Cap
1 Sol Ring
1 Zuran Orb
2 Icy Manipulator
1 Maze of Ith
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Strip Mine
4 Mishra's Factory
18 Island

The twelve counters, Maze of Ith, Icy Manipulators, and Capsizes control the board. Capsize can lock up a mid-to-late game almost by itself, and helps against enemy artifacts and enchantments that make it past my counters. Additionally, Mana Drain serves to speed the deck dramatically.

The Mahamotis, Mishra's Factories, and stolen enemy creatures march over for the win.

The Library of Alexandria, Jaymedae Tome, Ancestral Recall, and Braingeyser net me insane amounts of extra cards on the cheap.

Timetwister and Recall bring my best cards back for repeat performances.

Ivory Tower and Zuran Orb keep me in the game when the going gets rough and help curb the threat of burn.

Time Walk needs no explaination. A well-timed extra turn spells doom for many a foe.

Copy Artifact is one of blue's all time best (and most underrated) cards. Double the power of one of your own artifacts or sample any of your opponents for just two mana.

Mystical Tutor. Because what deck can't use a good, cheap tutor?

Strip Mine. Because every deck needs Strip Mine. Period.

Sol Ring plays its traditional role as cheap mana acceleration.

Jester's Cap is an old sentimental favorite that's especially useful here since I don't use sideboards in casual play. Eliminate anything I can't deal with through normal means and memorize my foe's entire deck to boot, allowing me to maximize use of my counters and stop annoying bluffs before they happen.

Amnesia is a dirty little trick that few ever see coming. A true gamebreaker. Discard is the furthest thing from most people's mind when no black is apparent.

G

galtwish

I'd suck it up to buy a Time Spiral from Urza's Saga. Shouldn't cost more than $5, and this is a power card on par with Ancestral and Time Twister. Additionally, Whispers of the Muse work better in the first 6 turns than a Jaemdaye Tome does (you can use them without buyback). I like the Fat Moti, but he is too vulnerable, especially in a T1 casual setting. Thawing Glaciers woudl be a great additiona with the Library and the Tower, plus they help you get your UUU for the Amnesia. Finally, you may want to consider Powder Kegs over the Icys if beatdown is too fast for your right now.

Here's my tweak:

2 Rainbow Efreet (protects itself better than a Morphling, is less mana intensive, and comes out faster against beatdown)
4 Whispers of the Muse (superior to Jaemdaye Tome in 90% of the situations you will face in duels)
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Recall
1 Copy Artifact
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Amnesia (one of my favorite cards! Especially strong to draw off a Time Spiral)
1 Time Spiral
1 Time Warp
1 Relearn (like a mini-Recall)
2 Capsize
4 Force of Will
4 Mana Drain
4 Counterspell
2 Mana Leak (for additional early defence)
1 Ivory Tower
1 Jester's Cap
1 Sol Ring
2 Icy Manipulator
1 Strip Mine
1 Library of Alexandria
4 Wasteland/Thawing Glaciers
1 Maze of Ith
18 Island

Hope this helps!

Erik

L

Landkiller

Try Evacuation from Stronghold, you'll find it comboes nicely with Amnesia.

Powder Kegs are definetely good, better than Icy's.

Also, Mahamoti is big, but vanilla. Try Palinchron(esp. if you use Evacuation), Morphling, or Alexi, Zephyr Mage. Though smaller, they've got more powers.

Rather than 4 control magic, perhaps 2 x Dominate, 2 x Bribery.

J

jcredberry

Hey man, where are your Fact or Fictions???
That's a must for extended play!!!

Y

Yamo

Like I said, I like the older cards only. If it's after Tempest, I don't own it and never want to. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

T

Thuglord

I always include felwar stones in a blue deck that involves theft (Control Magic) as a kill. It will allow you faster mana as well as any color needed for upkeep or ability activation on the controlled card.

Just a thought