Virtual Insanity: Online Table top program!

S

Slick

I hope it succeeds. It sounds really cool. to my knowledge this is the first sort of software that can play multiple types of games. I just hope that WotC doesn't try to shut them down:(

L

lilpinhead

man, it sounds pretty awesome..i sure hope that it ends up being able to do what they say

G

Gizmo

Wizards cant close the company cos they are not using WotC copyrights yet. They only breach WotC copyright if they release Magic plugins. You would always legally be able to use their card creation system to enter in magic cards for private use if nothing else.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, realistically, how many CCG games are out there that AREN'T owned by WOTC? It seems to me that Magic is pretty much going to be the market and that means colliding with WOTC sometime.

And I don't see where there's a card creation system, just a "composer" to create your own plug-in.

And I don't get the role-playing game aspect of it. :confused:

I guess that chat on July 7th might help to clear things up.

S

Slick

I got this off of their website.

"At approximately 5:34 pm (est) today, BackDraft Productions received a mysterious document asking us to "cease and desist" from our current actions and abandon the development of Nautilus. The document, which came in the form of an unofficial and unsigned email message, was labeled as being from the producer of several popular collectible card games. Apparently, according to this document anyway, the company is concerned about the ability to import certain copyrighted game mechanics into the Nautilus software.

BackDraft Productions is currently in the process of verifying the authenticity of this document and unless otherwise specified at a later time, all Nautilus development and testing will continue as scheduled. Our best guess right now is that this document was sent as a prank and nothing more, with the simple intention of disrupting our development efforts. The contents of this document, names of the entities involved, and all other information regarding this matter will be kept confidential until a successful resolution has been reached. (Any individual who may have information regarding this matter is asked to contact BackDraft Productions as soon as possible at backdraftinfo@yahoo.com. All names and information we receive will remain confidential and will not leave our possession at any time. Please refrain from sending rumors or "hearsay", thank you.)"

I know it's not good to job to conclusions but I think that if it isn't a prank then it probably is WotC giving fair warning.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But what exactly is "unofficial and unsigned"? Why would WOTC not "make it official" or sign it? I would guess dragonstudios got one like that a while back during that fracas...

R

rkoelsch

WOTC has always been willing to flex their muscle at anyone and I am sure that they would have signed any email sent.

N

NeuroDeus

It's the FBI... they are after Project Nautalius - Plans To Conquer The World

H

Hetemti

It may have been WizCo...

WizCo can't send out a C&D because Nautilus does not break any copyright laws, and the editor merely offeres the capibility of infringement.

That'd be like trying to shut down HP, Epson, Xerox, and Canon for making printers and copiers that could be used to produce counterfiet cards. It's not Nautilus' fault if someone abuses their product. (Note: Recent court cases have been alowing such grounds, and if this trend continues, noone will have any right to do anything. Just so you know...)

If WizCo sent this, it is because they know they can't stop Nautilus directly, and once the Magic-based patches get out, they won't be able to castrate their enemies like they did to Apprentice, Enchanter, and KingMagic.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I still don't see why that means it has to be unsigned...

It seems to me Napster was merely an "enabler", that is, just a means to get to music files and "it's not their fault" if people traded copyright content, yet they are getting shutdown (or at least were forced to change the way they do business).