Guided Passage

L

Landkiller

The card :

Guided Passage UGR
Sorcery
Reveal the cards in your library, an opponent chooses a land card, a non-creature, non-land card, and a creature card, put those in your hand and shuffle your deck.

The Question :
Is there anyway this card could be good?

S

superguy

Whileits pretty narow in it's uses, you can use it to one of the creatures you want from your deck, ex.: You use 2/3 QUesting Pheldies/Cromats as your only creatures, yu get one of them and the extra land helps your mana base. And the other spell at the worst will be like a Harrow or something.

C

Cateran Emperor

Basically, you have to break the card's restrictions here to get the right result. Way to do this: play only one (two if both are equally painful) kind of creature, forcing them to go get one for you.

K

krichaiushii

Theoretically, if in a multiplayer game, you could choose the opponent you pose least of a threat to, in the hopes s/he picks cards that can swing the game in his/her favor -- generally by making you a bigger target.

But to take best advantage of this card, I agree with the other posts -- you have to run multiple copies of very few cards to force your opponent to pick the lesser of two evils.

E

Ephrils

I've had this card played against me. It's fun :) The deck's main threats were creatures, he narrowed the only choice down to a Utopia Tree, which of course, only fueled his ability to play 5 color. Fire/Ice or Assault/Battery were the usual noncreature, nonland spells people looked for, and of course, a basic land. The thing is, pretty much everything in his deck you didn't want him to have anyway. That's how he solved the search delimma, 3 mana for 3 cards was thereason he was using the card in the first place.

I

Istanbul

Of course, you COULD use Survival to use the creature he gives you to go get the creature YOU want...

S

Supermouse

I wonder something: some people say you should use only 2-3 creatures to get the best effect. Well, what if you play ALL creatures, and your only non-creature, nonland cards are 4 Guided Passage? They have to give you another Passage, so you wind up with 4 creatures and 4 lands, for the price of 4 Guided Passage. thats like 2-0 card advantage each time, until the last time, when it doesn't replace itself. So, thats 8-1!

but then, your creatures and lands have to be good to make the "opponent Chooses" part worthwhile, but still: Virtually 8-1!

Anyway, thats just an idea, feel free to point out all the flaws.

I

Istanbul

If your deck is based around creatures, and you aren't already busy summoning creatures with UGR available to you, you've got issues.

G

galtwish

Here's a deck it works for:
"Animal House, the Bad Sequel"

4 Guided Passage
4 Stampede Driver
4 Gaea's Skyfolk
4 Nomadic Elf
4 Horned Kavu
4 Thornscape Battlemage
4 Thunderscape Battlemage
4 Mystic Snake
4 Blastoderm
6 Forest
6 Island
6 Mountain
4-6 Karpulsian Forest/Yavimaya Coast

Or this:
4 Guided Passage
1 Morphling
3 Masticore
4 Whispers of the Muse
4 Impulse
4 Force of Will
4 Counterspell
4 Arcane Denial
4 Urza's Rage
2 Gaea's Blessing
4 Thawing Glaciers
3 Tropical Island
3 Volcanic Island
7 Island
1 Forest
2 Mountain
2 Dust Bowl
4 Wasteland

Both are just starts, but they (try to at least) demonstrate that this card is quite powerful (the Animal House build is probably a better fit for Guided Passage, as the second is probably more powerful without the G for Passage).

Erik

G

Goku

I don't really see how it could be all that efficient, but I don't like the way that the one I was unfortunate enough to get sits there and stares at me.

And I don't see a popular deck being made out of it, but hey.. I may be wrong.. (Not that your deck is bad, galtwish..)

G

galtwish

I agree that the card is hard to see a value in right now, and my decks are not competative. However, Guided Passage gets you 3 cards for 3 mana, time and again. Fact or Fiction just totally outshines it right now.

Erik

D

Dementia

I think the main thing you have to look at with the Passage is that it "draws" you 3 cards. For 3 mana that ain't too bad:)

A good way to mess with it would be to thin out your deck.....

Manipulate Fate and Skyship Weatherlight would be good:)

Mana Severance pops into my head as well....

Can't think of any others..

Z

Zadok001

It seems to me that the best way to abuse Guided Passage is to accept that the cards you get are gonna stink. :) Thus, cards like Meteor Storm, Stormbind, Survival, spellshapers, and all their "Discard a card" friends (even Wild Research!) benefit from the effect. The fact is, you'll never get what you want with Guided Passage - But you'll get SOMETHING. So abuse the number of cards in your hand, neh?

C

Cateran Emperor

Think of it this way Goku: In effect, you are drawing three cards. More than likely, you get useless stuff unless you break the rule in the way we described above (all of your creatures/spells are huge threats) However, if nothing else, you can thin your deck out three cards. At the very least, you will no longer draw those cards, and more likely than not your opponent willget you something that you can use in at least a limited way.

G

Gizmo

Guided Passage does one simple thing. It gives the you three worst cards in your deck. So long as the worst cards in your deck are ok then the spell is worthwhile.

Personally I don`t like it.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Guided Passage seems to be of much debate...My 2 cents:

Pros:
You prophit 3 cards and net 2.
it's 3 cards for 3 mana
you thin your deck
it's colors have goob creature threats

Cons:
3 different colors
better dig and drawing engines exist in the same colors
the only good T II creature for blue is little bounces and giant djinns
You don't choose the cards

I'm known for trying decks that will NEVER work at a T II tourney, so I'll take a GP deck to FNM and Playtest. I'll tell you haw it went on this thread at a later date.

I could use suggestions for a deck list. You can Post a T II GP deck on the thread I'm going to create right now in the deck forum.

T.J.