How to teach?

E

Ertai

Does anybody know of a good resource for how to teach a new player the game?

M

maraud234

Get a starter kit/deck or whatever it is called. That's how I started, and I only had the starter deck to teach me. It has everything you need for two players to play.

A

Almindhra

And if you don't want to spend the money of the basic stuff, its always ok to put together a simple green deck, maybe no sorcerys or instants, but creatures with simple abilities, and teach them that way...It worked for me when I was teaching my friends...And you can always add more "complicated" cards to teach more about the game...

N

Namielus

As Semir taught me to be a cashier at compusa,

Play the game with them watching once, then walk away and let the oppenet apart.

E

Ertai

Originally posted by Namielus
Play the game with them watching once, then walk away and let the oppenet apart. [/B]
Then walk away and let the opponent what?

U

Ura

When I was teaching magic I liked to sit down with the person and explain all the different card types, creature, artifact, instant, ect...
From there I would give a quick two line type description of each color. eg. Red = fire, chaos, and destruction. White = holyness, protection, life gain ect...
from this most people I taught could pick which color they liked the sounds of most and I'd build them a simple deck of that color, only creatures, sorceries, lands, and an artifact or two. I would play a similar deck of another color and play against them till they understand the basic mechanics of the combat and turn sequence while I explained things to them. This usually took 5 or 6 games. Also each game was a best of three and since I would usually win the first I'd often "throw" the second by making consistently bad plays and choices so that it would show the trainee that, A: it is possible to win when you start out, just tough, and B: to always watch for opponents errors and exploit them.
After a while like this I'd give them a few instants for their deck and let them get used to playing things on the opponents turn when they can such as bolting an attacking creature ect...
All this usually worked and since I haven't had a dropped out student I think I turns out good by giving the player some basic survival skills and knowledge of how card types interact. :)

hope this helps

E

Ertai

Thanks everybody for your advise. Except nameilus... I haven't yet figured out what language he is speaking.

Z

Zadok001

I like to take 2 40 card decks. Make them out of Creatures, Sorceries, and Land. *ding!* Two Portal decks. Play a few games, introducing each card and how it is used. Then, once the new player gets comfortable, throw them around - Add a second color to each deck, some non-basics, Artifacts, Enchantments, and some Instant speed effects. Play again. Wait a few days, playing occassionally, for everything to sink it (Instant effects are the hard part). Then add real Instants (Giant Growth is a great one for teaching) and some local Enchantments. Do it again. Etc... They'll catch on.