Deck sleeves...

N

Namielus

Sorry Doe, but I dislike all colors for sleaves except for Black and Clear. And as far as sleaves are conserned Pro ~(whatever the name)~ are the only thing I will buy. So in afterthought, just stick to the sleaves you know best, Pro ~Whatever they always sell in magic card stores~. Yea.

D

Duel

*shrugs*
I play with naked cards, myself. It always disturbs my opponent to play someone who uses naked foil lands....

E

ErinPuff

Zhaneel bought some black sleeves once, and they all fell apart within minutes.. I've never had that problem..

D

Duel

Yeah
*sigh*
You all shoulda seen his wasy his eyes bugged out.

"Foil plains and no sleeves?!?!?"

H

Hetemti

Doe: Those sleeves are GARBAGE. Only buy UltraPro. I've no knolwedge of Dragon Shield, good or bad, just that they exist...but frankly I stick with UltraPro because I know they're good 90% of the time, (sometimes miscut, tho), and they don't fall apart unless you work at rippin 'em.

I saw people with those cheap sleeves at the prere. They'd flick a sleeved land betwixt thumb and forefinger and try to hit the trash can.

Note: Buy UltraPro in pairs: 100 sleeves × 2 boxes = 200 sleeves, ÷ 60 sleeves per deck = 3 decks sleeved. :) Cost efficentcy!

E

Ertai

Foils... Sleeves... must sleeve foils. I pray you never get your hands on any really good foils, duel.

D

Duel

But.... but..... I already have some *hehehe*

Try this one out, hetemti: 100 sleeves X 2 boxes = 200 sleeves / 60 per deck = 3 1/3 decks sleeved... but buy 1 more and you sleeve 5 decks with 3 packs. That's cost-efficient.

H

Hetemti

Nah...you allways need a few spares...

1) If you try to riffle-shuffle, evenutally you will skewer one through another, which will rip 'er down the side.

2) Even with UltraPro's high quality level, usually two or three are foweled up...crimped, miscut, or folded odd.

3) I run 61/62 card decks (gotta have that 25th land!), so I'd be a few short that way.

A

Almindhra

Well I like Ultra Pro, I have black, (old) red, and blue sleeves...now I have Dragonshield's Gold, and they're not bad at all...I've had no problems with them thus far...And I also like that they're deeper than Ultra, so no cards near the top of the sleeve...

And I will never play without sleeves, I'm so afraid of damaging my precious cards, such as, 3 CAVES AND A DESOLATION ANGEL...Woohoo!!...

** does a Lebanese jig **

Z

Zadok001

Black Ultra Pro is all I use. Partially because I like a fixed (or vaguely fixed) routine, but more because they have shown themselves to be VERY reliable. I almost always sleeve my decks, since there are some cards that would be shredded by now if not for sleeves (BoP, for example, never leaves my deckbox!). I have no experience with other sleeves, so I can't really run a comparision, but I will say that of the three boxes of Ultra Pro Black sleeves I've purchased, I've had three sleeves rip on me - In two years. :) That's reliability!

(Besides, sleeving makes it easier to proxy.)

D

Duel

Sleeving allows me to used beat up cards in a tournament. All hail sleeving.

H

Hetemti

hrm...I hate the black ones. I use only Red and Blue. Green seemed uneven, and black are harder to shuffle and make a strange sound...

U

Ura

I think it depends for one on when you first tried the sleeves and and two if they actually for you.
When I had my shop I'd go through a case of the black sleeves, a case of the red, and about a half a case of the clear each week, green wasn't out yet. I myself use them all and have never had problems with them, but I've had customers who refused to buy anything with deck-protector in the name because they're orinigal trials with the clear sleeves were so bad. They do tend to split every now andc then so its good to have extras, plus 60 sleeved cards will fit perfectly into one of the 100 sleeve packs for easy deck sorting and transportation.
Official rating: 3 paws up out of a possible 4

I've only tried one pack of the Dragonshields so far, (blue ones). I've been somewhat gentle to them because I'm trying to avoid any splits since I can't just go pick up more because no one here carries them and I need to get them in trades. :(
My only complaint about them so far is that they have, at least in my pack, uneven top cutting. All the tops seem slightly crooked to me.
Official rating: 2 paws up out of a possible 4

T

TeamRegime.com

I used BOTH UltrPro and DragonShield. Both are reliable..I had some teal Japanese ones from GrandPrix St. Louis last year and found those to be the toughest...name was in Japanese...but the reliability and the fact the sleeves still look semi new has me wanting more.

GO with both and make your decision....also..as im sure you may already know, some sleeves are marked..theres a pattern on the fresh sleeves...and some are crimped in a certain way...our local stores give you the option to trade those in IF you open and examine them when you buy them...if theyre marked or crimped theyll let you trade em in for a new box.

FYI

Nicholas Knight
Aldmindras Bitch

G

Gizmo

Dragonshield are slightly better in my experience. But sleeves ripping is almost 100% down to the way you treat them and MAINLY how you shuffle.

If you shuffle by banging the open ends onto the closed ends, or if you shuffle by diagonally sliding the cards together from the open end downwards then you`ll pretty rapidly slice them open all down one side. On the other hand if you shuffle by bringing the closed ends together first then you`ll almost never break a sleeve - it takes about a good 3 or 4 months of solid play before shuffling from the closed ends causes the sleeves to cut open down at that end.

E

Ertai

I bought a pack of the blue Dragonshield sleves and they are still working well a month or so later. They seem a bit harder to shuffle then my black Ultra Pro sleeves, but they are deeper and that is nice.

T

terzarima

I like the Ultra Pro also. I prefer the black and clear ones, mainly because the green ones look sick. I've heard of Dragon sheild, but as to their reliability I've heard nothing.

H

Hetemti

Alls I can say is my red UltraPros have worked for almost two years, and I've only ripped two sleeves, both by my greavous stupidity and carelessness.

Red's the best, Blue's Nº2.

w00t