Finnish Fish

G

Gizmo

This was my Fish deck for English Nats. The only reason I kept it quiet until now is that I got it from another Pro player and he made me promise not to tell anybody.

As it turns out I think the metagame shifted an awful lot from what it had been when he gave me the deck almsot a month ago and it`s no longer such a strong choice, although it does beat ANYTHING that looks remotely like a blue control deck (from Skies to UWB to Opposition/Orb). It`s still a very strong build, but just not quite as strong as it was a month ago (when it was ASTOUNDINGLY strong) - the additon of Thornscape Mages and Plague Spitter to the serious environment upsets this deck quite a lot.

Finnish Fish
originally by Tomi Walaamies

4 Lord Of Atlantis
4 Coral Merfolk
3 Merfolk Looter
1 Rootwater Thief
2 Rishadan Airship
4 Seahunter
3 Jolting merfolk

3 Force Spike
4 Counterspell
2 Rushing River
3 Thwart
4 Gush

23 Island

SB:
2 Gainsay
3 Wash out
4 Rising Waters
3 Submerge
1 Foil
2 Misdirection

Z

Zadok001

Did the Battle Fish (Coral Merfolk) make their proper showing? I've been rooting for their return since they left way back at Masques!

I'm also curious if Seahunter was worth using, or just the waste of space his P/T:CC ratio would seem to make him...

M

Mars

I would like to see a decklisting of Neil Rigby's 5th place UBR deck with Obliterates. BTW, Neil, a big congrats. Did you have a hand in designing it, Gizmo?

I am also highly amused that Animal House came in 2nd. However a 36-critter deck in the current enviornment does in fact have quite a bit of utility, and will have even more in JulyOct01 Type Two. Here were the results of English Nats as given to Meridian Magic by Neil Rigby:

1: Ollie Schneider (Orb)
2: Martin Fisher (Animal House)
3: Craig Jones (BR)
4: Ivan Ronaldson (Fires)
5: Neil Rigby (UBR w/obliterates)
6: Gordon Benson (mono-red)
7: Stewart Walker (Go-Mar)
8: Tim ODonnell (BR)

M

Major Crime

Darn who let Oily Schneider take part, his ego will now not fit even in a double door.

Three cheers for Benson, we used the Apo' booster he won to do a cycle block draft. Weird cards is all I can say. Merfolk Goblins anyone?

G

Gizmo

Playtesting since Nats has shown that this deck is still good, actually. As good as anything out there.

Seahunter allows the deck to go bi-modal. Between Seahunter, Looters, and Gushes this deck is very capable of playing as a control deck when the matchup demands so don`t feel you have to overrextend and win fast, although it can win like that as well.

As for Schnieder winning - Olly`s got the biggest gob in the whole of Magic, but whenever it`s open it`s always worth listening to because he`s got the best line in trash talking I`ve ever heard. V funny.

And BTW, the guy who designed this, Tomi Walaamies, won the Finnish Nats, but with a mono-U control deck, not Fish.