Varchild's Warriders

K

krichaiushii

I currently have a R/W deck using the Warriders, and have had interesting conversations concerning them at this site, but I am hoping for a definitive listing of potential uses for the Warriders.

Varchild's Warriders (Alliances)
1R
Creature -- Warriders (I think)
CU: put a 1/1 red Survivor token into play under the control of target opponent.
Trample, Rampage:1
3/4

So far, I and others have generated the following cards as capable of benefitting from the upkeep:

Soul Warden
Caltrops
Orim's Prayer
Honorable Scout
Searing Rays
Aether Flash (with Dingus Staff)
Engineered Plague

And to a lesser degree:
Black Market
Pestilence/Thrashing Wumpus

Thanks in advance.

M

Mikeymike

You know my feelings about the War-Riders. One of the great casual cards ever printed. Most people don't even realize he's a 3/4 Trampler for 1R.

Other cards that work well with our friend:
Mob Justice
Massacre
Beast of Burden (with some form of evasion)
Urza's Armor
Simoon
Lashknife Barrier (all around useful card and neutralizes any blocking the 1/1s may do)
Volcanic Wind

My next deck I'm going to try to build with him is an 2Headed Giant/Emperor's deck featuring Oath of Driuds. The idea being 1 of your opponents will ALWAYS be up on creatures so every member of your team can benefit. I'm going to include a few of the cards I mention above in here, should be fun.

PLUS, these rulings come from www.crystalkeep.com
The token creatures are controlled by your opponent, but they are owned by you. This means you can use a Despotic Scepter on them. [bethmo 97/01/09]
Brand will work too.
In a multiplayer game, you can choose a different opponent each time you deal with the cumulative upkeep. [D'Angelo 97/07/22]
This is a big deal in an MP game.

Later

F

FoundationOfRancor

Brand seems like the best best, since its red...

G

Gizmo

I luv War Riderss, they were my fave cards for a long time back in Alliances.

Best story - my War Riders/Pestilence/Grim Feast deck.

At one point, with 2 Feasts and 3 Riders in play, I was gaining cumulatively 5 life more than I gained the turn before! When i gained 54 life in my upkeep (and went to something like 600 life) he conceded.

Good times.

S

Slug man

Thieves’ Auction
4RRR, Sorcery, Mercadian Masques Rare
Set aside all permanents. You choose one of those cards and put it into play tapped under your control. Then your opponent chooses one and puts it into play tapped under his or her control. Repeat this process until all cards set aside this way have been chosen. (Local enchantments with no permanent to enchant remain removed from the game.)
Illus. Kevin Murphy

With all the tokens being made, you can play this and get your fair share of them. I played in a MP game with this guy who used the Riders. No one attacked him, because if you co-operated with him he gave you tokens. Then, when we were all getting massive armies, he played Theives Auction, netting himself loads of stuff. Just a thought.

G

galtwish

Fire Ants work really well with War Riders, as does Subterranean Spirit. Crimson Acolyte, shadows, and flyers all work, but tramplers are generally the best, because the tend to have lower CCs, allowing you to take advantage of the quick beats provided by the War Riders. I played a deck with War Riders, Phrexian War Beasts, Ehrnam Djinns, and Derelors that was a lot of fun. It was before Flametounge Kavu. Here's an idea for an update:

4 Varchilds War Riders
4 Albino Troll
4 Cradle Guard
4 Orgg
2 Subterranean Spirit
4 Rancor
1 Fling
4 Earthquake/Fault Line/Arc Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rampant Growth
4 Hickory Woodlot
10 Forest
11 Mountian

Just a start. Hey, you get to use Orgg and War Riders in the same deck!

Or this:
4 Bloodfire Dwarf
4 Warchild's War Riders
4 Cloud Skate
4 Serendib Efreet
3 Flametounge Kavu
2 Waterspout Djinn
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Impulse
4 Fire/Ice or Firestorm
4 Arc Lightning
12 Mountian
11 Island

Needs more work, but I think the secret of the War Riders is not clever Aether Flash/Dingus Staff tricks, but evasion and burn.

Erik

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Turn 2: Varchild's War Riders
Turn 3: Repercussion
Turn 4: Æther Flash

They're dead by turn 6 (or quicker, if backed up by burn).

Pyroclasm could help here too, because it wouldn't kill the Riders.

T

theorgg

Theif's auction doesn't work on Token critters.

Brand and the auction does, though. And brand works with the auction, too...

Oh man. It makes me want the auctions even more now! :{ )

I'd like to thank Spencer, a.k.a. SoleSpecter for telling me to come to this forum, by the way...

M

Mundungu

Did anyone mention the plague spitters ?
it wont matter how many tokens they'll get, since they'll die straigth away.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Bloodfire Dwarf(Apocalypse)R

Creature-Dwarf

R, Sacrifice Bloodfire Dwarf:
Bloodfire Dwarf Deals 1 damage to
each creature with out flying.

1/1

This little guy springs to mind since got him today.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but unless you can recur him or something, it's a one-shot use. That's why something more permanent like Pestilence is better.

galtwish has him in one of his decklists already.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Obviously it's fabulous, I don't think I need to get into that.

But I just realized that when used with Pandemonium you can choose the target of the damage caused by the token's entering play.
This is great news for all those weird R/W Varchild's War Raiders decks.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Not only is the card good, it's a very creative one. I love it.

Pandemonium says "Whenever any creature comes into play, that creature’s controller may choose to have it deal damage equal to its power to target creature or player."
And Varchild put's the tokens into play under your oppenents control. Wouldnt your oppenent get to deal the damage? I think I'm confused.

M

mpgsheep

yeh your opponent deals the damage. However there is an interesting rules loop that means that if you cast brand, you gain control of the tokens!Useful also with Questing Pheldagriff or the saproling thing, erm 1G enchantment, any player can discard to make a saproling...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Oops, yes, the opponent gets to deal the damage. I thought it said "owner." Oh well. :rolleyes: at myself

F

FoundationOfRancor

Mpgsheep has a good idea though. Find an interesting way to sacrifice creatures, then use Brand.

M

Mikeymike

Too many combos to list.

If you are going to play Brand try Theives auction too, you should be able to wipe the board up pretty handily. Run Goblin Barbardment too and you should be able to remove 1 person from the game.