Black/Green Destruction

S

superguy

Well... If someone has to take credit for making a broken Black/Green deck, it might as well be me. Since it's so early on, I can later point to these archives and say: "Hey! I originated ______!" :) Here's the deck that I designed:

// Lands
6 Swamp
8 Forest
1 Darigaaz's Caldera
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Rishadan Port
// 1cc
4 Duress
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Dark Ritual
3 Llanowar Elves
// 3cc
4 Chimeric Idol
4 Pernicious Deed
// 4cc
4 Blastoderm
3 Snuff Out
// 5cc
4 Spiritmonger
3 Saproling Burst

Comment, suggestion, etc. are greatly appreciated. :)

Edit: I remade the deck a little. Now it looks like this:

// Lands
7 Swamp
7 Forest
1 Darigaaz's Caldera
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Rishadan Port
// 1cc
4 Duress
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Dark Ritual
// 2cc
3 Llanowar Dead
// 3cc
4 Pernicious Deed
3 Penumbra Bobcat
// 4cc
4 Blastoderm
3 Snuff Out
// 5cc
4 Spiritmonger
4 Saproling Burst

Better? Worse? Tell me!

M

Mikeymike

First thing I would say is add the Life/Death split card. It was made to work with Pernicious deed. After you blow up the Deed, you can:
A) attack with all your lands (imagine that with Death Pit Offering)
B) pull back a Blastoderm or a Spiritmonger for quick punch in the gut

Also, you've got a lot of mana acceleration, you should consider trying the Penumbra Wurm, although 7 is alot. Cancel that, save him for the MP version.

Diabolic Intent could be helpful too, since all your little creatures will die anyway.

You could add a little white for Sterling Groves, Vindicate and Albino Troll (cheap regen) too.
---
I'm just playing idea man right now, I've got no suggestions what to take out. Although I can say I'm not crazy about the Llanowar dead. Geez, B/G got ripped with their bear

L

luke twigger

Do you really believe that Spiritmonger only costs 5 mana?

It sounds too good to be true to me, I mean, 3BG for a 6/6 with 3 good abilities and no drawbacks? Hunted Wumpus is 4 mana for a 6/6 with no ability and a drawback.

Also, while trying out the Apocalypse G/B stuff, what do you think of the Ebony Treefolk, a pumpable 3/3 for 1BG sounds pretty cheap aswell!

But as an avid G/B freak I'll be more than happy to play them :)

S

superguy

Mikeymike: Good ideas.
I was considering Life/Death and about a billion other cards. What I can't do though, is figure out what to replace it with. Diabolic Intent I actually had in the beginning, about 2 of it I think, and I'll try to somehow get them back in. I was afraid that I wouldn't have anything to sacrifice to it, but I guess with the Birds and
Burst tokens being useless in the late game or before the Deed, I guess I'll try to put them back. Any ideas what I should take out? Albino Troll - I tried to make the deck type 2. As for white, I originally wanted this deck to run cloaks, but the mana proved to be too inconsistent. As for the Llanowar Dead, it was either that or Llanowar Elves. I'm trying to see what works out better (after all they are tougher). Thanks for advice!
P.S.: I am probably going to put Tangle Wires in the sideboard against control decks. I don't think that Duress by itself will be enough. This deck hates Wrath. (Well not with the fresh Burst out :))

luke twigger:
First off, go here:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/expert/apocalypse/ap_article_rememberme.asp

For the longest time I couldn't believe it too, but what you gonna do? Since I am also a huge Black/Green freak, I figurd if the colors should recieve this, they might as well be my favourite colors.

Ebony Treefolk was one of the beatings that I considered for this deck, butI tried to stick to the theme of getting out a crazy Beating as soon as possible. Hence mana acceleration, and Bursts, 'Dermies and the Spiritmonger.

M

Mikeymike

Whoops, I meant Charging Troll. Sorry, I've still got a soft spot for our complexion challenged friend.

L

luke twigger

OK guys, thanks for the URL, I believe you now :)

I think that has to be one of the best creatures EVER printed and I'll be trying hard to trade for 4 of these during the pre-release weekend and I can see myself playing B/G in Type2 for the next couple of years i.e. until the rotate Spiritmonger out again :)

G

Gizmo

wow.

Surely it`s just a playable Carnassid?
-1 casting cost
+1 toughness - suddenly it`s broke?

I don`t see the colour shift as astoundingly important, and the other ability should never really be an issue in competitive matches. He owns in limited, but for constructed.

Carnassid < Spiritmonger < Blastoderm

This guy really just goes to prove that WotC can print guys as fat as they want, and if they don`t have evasion or Trample it just doesn`t matter.

M

Mikeymike

[rant]
Blastoderm was a mistake, he should have never been a common. So your comparison of Blasty to the Monger checks out there. Here is a more accurate comparison of the 2.

1- He doesn't have evasion; neither does the Blastoderm
2- Blasty is untargetable; few 'playable' Standard removal cards can deal with the Monger and his regeneration.
3- Blasty kills itself, he doesn't
4- They are both undercosted comparing CC to PT, and he gets bigger fairly easily
5- Blasty's out with Birds and Elves, the Monger's out with Birds, Elves and Dark Rituals
6- He can get around a Vodalian Zombie, Perish, Washout,Pernicious Deed, Wake of Destruction, mass red burn and Nevy's Disk in Extended; Blastoderm can't
7- He's got better artwork (that's always an argument of mine)
8- Deal with the Blastoderm now or wait until he dies; deal with the Monger now or deal with him later

Evasion is such a big deal? That's why Superguy's deck goes the old Snuff-o-derm route with the added benefit of Pernicious Deed. Kill all their creatures and evasion doesn't make a difference.

Evasion is such a big deal? Why aren't you comparing him to the Phyrexian Scuta? He is FAR superior to the Scuta (cough *overrated* cough) for so many reasons, but people are scrambling for the Scuta.

Ancient Silverback (I know that's what you meant) isn't even on the same planet as the Spiritmonger. That's like comparing Wrath of God to March of Souls.

PLUS

I can write a thesis for you why he kicks tail in Multiplayer and is possibly one of the best creatures, but I doubt you're interested.
[/rant]

You'll be playing him before you realize it.

C

Cateran Emperor

Ah, good old G/B. Spiritmonger is so amazing it hurts. Got to love a creature that makes everything else in the environment into a Crunchy Snack(TM)