Crag Surian

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Okay. Because I'm so interested in this Magdalen deck, I'd like to see how anyone can put this card card to good work.

Any suggestions.

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Lotus Mox

Flaming Sword is very good with Crag Saurian, a 5/4 First striker won't get damaged in combat very often.

in a red deck it shouldn't be that much of a problem to get it back :)

D

Dementia

Won't be any trouble getting this guy back:)

Lotus Mox's idea is pretty darn good too.

Overall it's just a pretty crappy card that goes good in a cheap creature beats deck. I might be happy to get this thing as a common, but I'd rather pull a........Thrashing Wumpus (come to think about it:)) out of a Mask booster.

Note: If you find a good use for this stinker I'll be happy to trade you mine:D

M

Mr_Pestilence

I love Crag Saurian! Just drop him in a burn deck and go to town! This worked especially well last year when Masticore was running rampant. But, like most decks, Fires made this obsolete.

You - "Here's my 3rd turn 4/4! Deal with it or die!"
Fires playa shrugs and says, "OK, here's my 3rd turn, untargetable 5/5, which is now attacking you!"
You - scoop, go home early, and wax nostalgic about the time when 4 turn kills were an aberration, not standard operating procedure.

S

superguy

I had one in my burn deck. Not bad, but as it was said before, if you're afraid of Blastoderms, he won't help you much. Oh yeah, and of course my deck had all kinds of burn and Fireslingers.

G

Gerode

Inviolability would get rid of the drawback, but it still wouldn't be great.

X

xreemer

I'd say he would be worthless without a fireslinger or a Reckless Embermage. Searing touch or fanning the flames are far too expensive to make him worth it. And if he costs three red, I wouldn't think it would be worth putting him in a multi-color deck. Quick Question: Would he have summoning sickness each time he changes owners?

L

leet

whoever the wizard that figured out the Crag Saurian + Inviolability combo - your my hero.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. "Summoning sickness" (or non-haste, as I believe it's called now) always occurs if you didn't have the creature under your control at the beginning of turn.

F

fuzzy510

*Fuzzy510 quietly prints out these suggestions, because he has three Crag Saurians sitting without a deck. :D :D

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

leet: That makes him a 1WRRR 4/4 Cho-Manno that requires another card. You can use it if you want, but I don't think that's very good.

The chief benefit of Crag Saurian is that it is, at best, a 4/4 that can be played on turn three. Now, additional enchantments (especially off-color ones) that help subvert its disabilty are nice, but they're really just frills.

There are some ways to deal with it, however, that make sense when put in the kind of deck using Crag Saurian.

Has anyone heard of Fire Ants?
Fire Ants (UZ Uncommon)
2R
2/1
Tap: ~ deals 1 damage to each other creature without flying.

Or, in red/black (although that would make the Saurian's cost harder to get early), Plague Spitter.

F

fuzzy510

*Fuzzy510, still spying, gets excited because he has four Fire Ants.......

M

Mikeymike

TICM hit the nail on the head. Fire Ants. Through in a few Fireslingers and Mogg Infestation (which combos w/ the Ants) and you got the base of a new deck.

It'll dominate extended, I promise :p
-
Plague Spitter works in theory but b/c the damage happens during your upkeep the Saurian's summoning sickness will quickly become a nuisance.

X

xreemer

Fire Ants are a great idea. I still think that Crag is only useful in monored, so we can have fire slingers, fire ants, tons of DD like lightnings and shocks, Flaming Sword or Lightning Reflexes, Fervor (for haste), and Reckless embermage if you like. Anyone got some other ideas for cards in this deck to complement Surian? I'm thinking fast sleigh creatures such as jackle pups, goblin raiders and the like.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Back in the day, I used Crag Saurian and Masticore.

It worked reasonably well combined with land destruction.

S

Sammy Dead-O

Maybe we can bring this back up for discussion with the new set out...

What about the Saurian and Razorfin Hunter?