any suggestions for this deck?

C

CaineFate

a friend and i just invented this post-7th type 2
deck and were looking for any suggestions.
"Paladin Love"
BLUE:
Daze x 4
Counterspell x4
Fact or Fiction x4
Shifting Sky x3
Tidal Visionary x3
WHITE:
Dismantling Blow x2
Serra Angel x4
Crimson Acolyte x4
Southern Paladin x4
GOLD:
Absorb x4
LAND:
Island x 10
Plains x 10
Adarkar Wastes x4

My whole point is that most critter kill out there
is red( terminate, flametongue, urza's rage, etc.)
so if my critters can all be prot. from red and i
can make all their critters red, i'm ahead of the game.
The paladin's are a nice bonus which with the sky out
i can kill any non-land permanent. i haven't finished the
sideboard yet, but with teferi's moat, cop:red, more counters, i think it has potential. i'm also tempted to
run one cop:red mainboard but don't know what to take out.
it has it's big weaknesses with mass removal, flyers, and tramplers, but i think with disrupt, gainsay, and the moat in sideboard, i can cover those.
any help is appreciated, thanks :)

C

CaineFate

thanks for the thought, never even crossed my mind.
definitely will try it. :)

D

Duel

Distoring lens and/or blind seer. The seer can even turn their spells red, so all targeted removal will be red.

J

Johnny Lai

I agree with the anti-red metagame call. In fact, here are three other pro-red creatures worthy of maindecking:

Galina's Knight, Voice of All, Thermal Glider.

Why Lens

Also, now that I think about it, I would want to put in Distorting Lens' to replace some Shifting Skys. The Sky melds well with all of your Pro-red bodies, but the Distoring Lens is also somewhat more during in the metagame because many decks these days only run Enchantment kill that does not destroy artifacts [e.g. Wax/Wane, the Red Battlemage, Aura Mutation/Aura Blast].

M

Mikeymike

If you are going to add the Lens (which you should) try adding Wash Out too. Blind Seer is worth a shot as another way to change color, but he works best with cards that let you take advantage of specific colored cards coming into play like Douse (counter target red spell) and Insight (draw a card whenever a green spell is played).

Sway of Illusion is a nice Cantrip that could work in the deck. It works well with Wash Out.

How well does Daze work in the deck? They might be better as Accumulated knowledge or a spot for a suggested card you want to add.

Imagine if Blue Elemental Blast and Hydroblast were Type 2 legal.

J

JetDragon

Are you sure it wouldn't benefit from being a bit more aggressive? As it is, I think you need to try and kill them before they break out of what is, after all, a fairly soft lock. I agree with the suggestions of Galina's Knight and Voice of All, and would then go on to say that, given the existence of Blastoderm, you will probably need Shifting Sky at least in the board. Otherwise, every single Blastoderm that comes in is doing 15-20 (dependent on Fires) or decimating your fairly fragile creature base. Otherwise, I would think it needs to be more of a control deck, which would probably involve Blinding Angel, maindeck Moat, Blind Seer over Visionary, and probably Voice of All over the Acolyte. Distorting Lens would probably still be useful, if only to stop Saproling Burst from overwhelming the few creatures you have (assuming you don't have an active Paladin handy) and because the Blind Seer becomes much less effective if he has to stop more than one thing a turn. I would probably play Force Spike over Daze, as I doubt you can afford the loss in tempo that comes from use of Daze (Turn 6 Moat is surely bad vs. Fires?)

Anyway... I'm going to have a go at a version of the aggressive deck, since it would probably be easier to build...

4 Tidal Visionary
4 Galina's Knight
4 Meddling Mage
4 Voice of All
4 Southern Paladin

4 Force Spike
4 Counterspell
4 Wash Out
3 Shifting Sky (Shouldn't need more than one, and isn't truly *necessary* until Paladin activates on, at the earliest, turn 5.)
2 Distorting Lens

And land... Probably something like 4 Port(?), 4 Wastes, 7 and 8 respectively of Plains and Islands

Obvious problems? The main one, which may be the crippler, is that it needs WW and UU very early on. This may be avoidable if you replace Counterspell with another counter, given that 8 of the spells in the deck are WW, 4 are UU. Maybe steal Exclude from the Solution? That move into the 3 casting-cost counter slot also reduces your vulnerability to Void, and plugs the hole in the creature curve quite nicely. However, the main problem that I can see is the lack of card-drawing... I don't know if you'd be able to make room for, say, Fact or Fiction or Opt, given the need for counterspells, a colour-changing engine and things to take advantage of it, and something to actually *win* with (Wash Out, enough creatures to mount a decent offense.)

I've rambled on quite long enough already so I'll stop now :)

By the way, to the last poster, I remember a tourney report of a Type 1 deck called Cross-Counter Blast (I think) that Top 4'd (again, I think) a local T1 tourney... The base of the deck was 4 Red Elemental Blast, 4 Blue Elemental Blast, 4 Hydroblast, 4 Pyroblast, 4 Distorting Lens...

S

superguy

If you're playing post 7th, why not use force spike instead of Daze?