Do these people annoy you?

Do these people annoy you?

• Yes they annoy me! Time to do some house-cleaning!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes they annoy me, but oh well.......their choice.

• I don't really care one way or another.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, they don't annoy me exactly, but it is kinda weird that they don't take advantage of a wounderfu

• No! there's no reason they would annoy me! Who are you to insult these people!

• Dumb subject! Let us never speak of it again.

• No! They don't annoy me........YOU annoy me by posting......this stupid thread!

• Total voters
S

Salacious Crumb

Aha... ok, so... back on topic...:D, i just don't understand why those people lurk...

Hoipa

M

maraud234

My lack of posts is mostly due to the fact that I really don't go online that much, but lurkers scare me because I think they read the posts, but just don't post themselves

S

Salacious Crumb

yeah, its scary.
do they have no opinions or something?
if i see somthing i have a strong opinion on, i will post on it, but the lurkers just lurk around...

Hoipa

D

Duel

Right. There are players who go around and absorb knowledge, without adding. They're the dangerous ones. And then there are players who simply like to read, or don't have anything to add.

F

FrigginRizzo

When I saw the subject I knew that this would be a thread that I'd like to get in on, because I had a very good idea that it was about something I've been thinking about a lot:
Post Counts.

I'm subscribed to about seven or eight mailing lists, and every once in a while, each list asks the same question: why the heck isn't everyone posting?

Here's why I only have about 30 posts (if that many):

1) It takes an interesting subject for me to read, let alone post on. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of cool subjects here, but, if I live to be a million years old I will never read nor post on a subject that is about online role playing games. That's not my cup of tea, just as T2 decklists won't exactly rock everyone'else's worlds either.

And I don't think it's wrong or that I should feel obligated to read and/or post on a subject that I have no interest in. I don't think The CPA is about obligatory posts. If I were to feel obligated to at least read a post on a subject that I could care less about, then what the heck does that accomplish? Should I feel obligated to reply to posts by people that I know or who are my friends? Do any of you sometimes post on a subject that you have no interest in simply because it's from a friend or high poster? I don't think I'd be out of line in suggesting that that may happen now and again, although I could be wrong - maybe that doesn't happen at all. But it could, right?

2) High Post Counts are not a badge of honor (to me anyway). Having an insane number of posts does not make me immediately bend down and kiss the ground that poster walks on. If I read an interesting thread, but really have nothing much to add to what has aleady been said, I don't feel the need to post a "I guess that makes sense, Love, John Friggin' Rizzo" message.

On most of the lists I'm on, there are those who post like it's going out of style. When I click on the "new posts" tab and see the same name as the last poster for virtually all of the new posts, I don't feel obligated to compete; I can't compete (AND add anything new or worthwhile to many of the posts, I'll admit that), and to do so would be an utter waste of my time and yours.

3) From what I've seen so far, there are little cliques of regulars who respond to each other's posts like clockwork. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that at all, but might it be possible that some of the infrequent posters may be initmidated by the "big names with High Post counts" and perhaps may even feel like they might be intruding on a thread that all the "big names" have posted on?

It's like the new guy at his first tournament (or the new guy at the casual game); maybe it takes a while to get the "feel" of what is going on before they jump in and get jiggy with the posts.

4) There are some posts that will be a waste of time for many members. I think we can all admit it - these are likely the ones that have 150 views and 1 reply. Not everything that is worth it to you is worth it to others. Not to say that I'd infringe on anyone's right to post, quite the contrary. And I'm not here to judge any of you - to me it's all Magic, and it's all good. But "good" is a subjective term, it will mean different things to everyone.

Simply put (and I'm not picking on anyone, I'm just using examples that I can remember off the top of my head), I doubt that I'll ever read a post about team-made cards or answer a "what's your favorite weenie?" question. To many, these are simply fun posts and I would never begrudge them their right to post away, but isn't it fair to assume that some of those posters would never check out a thread entitled "Apocolypse's impact on Extended" or "Is Ed Fear guilty?" We all have our own tastes and they won't always mix. It's like the old adage "one man's junk is another man's treasure." And I think that there is enough diversity here to keep most of the people happy, which is good times indeed for everyone, regardless of whether they think this post is stupid or that post is a waste.

To be frank (and I might take a little heat for this, but anyone who knows anything about me knows that I call 'em like I see 'em and don't mean to offend anyone but usually do anyway), when I see guys bragging about High Posts or trying to belittle those with small counts, it irks me. A lot. There is room for heavy posters, medium posters, and even the never, ever posted and probably won't either guys. And to put yourself above those who have less posts than you is a waste of everyone's time. Quality not quantity. Again, quality is a very subjective term, and not one that I'm ready to define for anyone but myself.

5) Kicking people out who don't post is the surest way to destroy everything that is The CPA. I think the founders would agree that this forum is for anyone who wants to be a part of it (and can follow a few simple guidelines). To exclude those who can't make a quota of posts is suicide, and quite frankly, smacks of elitism. And The CPA is not about elitism; from what I gather it's virtually all-inclusive - you wanna come in, here's the key, welcome.

So that's my two cents. Perhaps I've come off as a real putz to some of you (or even many of you), but I see The CPA as a resource that will offer each member their own unique experience. And to attempt to dictate what that experience will be/should be like is not a very good idea at all. Rules are fine (although editing out the word "Hell" on the front page seems absolutely insane to me!), but within the rules are each members own parameters that should be respected. Everyone asks for and receives something different from The CPA, and to quash anyone's experience is bad times indeed.

John Friggin' Rizzo

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't agree more...

People, it doesn't cost us anything (in terms of bandwidth) to carry those inactive, or lurking members, so why should it matter? And why on earth would you have a problem with lurkers?!? Just because they come here and read what you've written? And never write anything themselves?

You should feel honored, dammit!

Unless, of course, you're not very proud of some of the things you've written...:eek:

Hmmm...

You all know, of course, that people from WotC lurk here occasionally. If you don't believe it, go back and read through Orgg's interviews with their top brass. They admitted as much, and since the whole idea behind the creation of the site was to get their attention and divert some of their focus back onto casual play, I'd say that their lurking is a good thing!

Please try to remember that, everyone, the next time the urge to spam starts to overcome you...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
This might be an example of FrigginRizzo's "I agree" type post :), but I totally agree with him and TomB.

WHO THE HECK CARES ABOUT LURKERS AND LOW/HIGH POST COUNT?!?!

Mind your own business and let's get back to Magic.

C

Chaos Turtle

I can't believe you're deliberately singling out us high-posting spambots!!! How could you say that I suck like that!!??!?! I'm like so offended!

War On Rizzo! Vote Flores! Etc!

!!
Okay, all kidding aside...

I agree completely with your statements, FrigginRizzo (the ones two posts above this one, anyway). I'd like very much for this to continue to be the place that any Magic player with internet access and even a slight interest in message boards can come to (yes, I'm one of those who worries that "Casual" may keep some people away).

Everyone is Officially Welcome Here. From the zero-post lurkers to the 3000+ post compulsive repliers, including the Off-Topic Gamers and even those who post nothing genuinely useful but somehow manage to make the rest of us chuckle (whether from amusement or pity, I won't say).

One thing I love about this place is that there are no "God you are such a scrub, go suck someplace else" posters. Not even our resident "Pros" suffer from such delusions of superiority that they feel a need to belittle the lowly among us. Generally speaking, of course.

I'd like to keep it that way, as I'm sure most of us do. And wanting to run off people simply for not posting enough -- or for that matter, posting too much -- for one's tastes does, as John Rizzo says, smack of elitism.

No one's username will be deleted without a specific request from that user (and probably not even then) and no one will be banned except for the most egregious of protocol violations. So please, perish the thought.

As for the editing of "Hell" on the front page...

I'm just going with the flow on that one. Though I may be a Oldbie on the Boards, I'm still the New Kid on the Block as far as Admins go, so I feel compelled to follow their example (and a fine one it is! :p). My own position is that anything that is appropriate for network television is fine for general consumption, but...being a basically foul-mouthed individual, I guess my perspective isn't necessarily shared by everyone.

A

Almindhra

Originally posted by FrigginRizzo
3) ...but might it be possible that some of the infrequent posters may be initmidated by the "big names with High Post counts" and perhaps may even feel like they might be intruding on a thread that all the "big names" have posted on?
Oh come on...This is a little bit ridiculous...Its a message board, people who have been around for a year are going to have high post counts...(I'm not considering spammers)...And eventually new comers will get over their "fear" of posting on threads...But I don't think we should even consider these people that Rizzo has pointed out here...What are we to do about it?...We already have a "New Members" category for posting to welcome them...That's where we can greet them and make them feel at home...Which I think the CPA does a really good job of doing...

So I think either the newbie can get over his fear of posting in a short amount of time when he lurks through the boards, or they can continue not posting and lurking, but it shouldn't become our problem...

S

Salacious Crumb

Yes, wonderful speech by Alimdhra!Its not our problem! ITS THERES!Also i would like to point out that there is always at least one guest, usually two...
Also, kinda off topic but what happened to Zero? Did she die?

Hoipa

D

DÛke

...Awww...the story of Zero...I don't wanna talk about it.

I don't think all these members are "lurkers"...I think they just registered when they were very interested, and then they just wandered off. I've done that to many sites: first comes interest, then registeration, then loss of interest, then exodus...

A

Almindhra

Zero ran off when her little scheme of posting covered nudey models, that she of course claimed for herself, didn't work out too well...

Oh, and thanks CrumbCrumb...You're really agree with me?...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You mean that pic wasn't her?

I think the guest count shows up for two reasons: Because there's actually guests (unregistered users) and because some regulars turn off the option in their Profile that lets it be known that they're on the board.

D

DÛke

...Yes, Spiderman, the pic wasn't hers. That's what most everyone thinks...

A

Almindhra

Well since I was the one who put her pic on my webspace I know it wasn't hers...We were talking on AIM and I said I would put her pic up for her...So she gave me a pic named, whatever her name is...I uploaded it, then said heres the address for it...She looked at it and said "Oh no, thats the wrong one, thats my friend"...So she gave me another one called her name, but they were two very different girls...

Now if anyone knows AIM and how you can put pictures in the window and send them to the other party, you can see why this all seems so odd...You pick which file you want, then its in your text window, then you hit enter and send it...So she would have seen it in her window, then it pops up in the main window when she sends it, and she didn't know she was sending the wrong photo??...And they both happened to be saved under her name even though the first one was her friend's?...Come on...(I was also bias in that I doubt someone who looked like that would play Magic ;))...

C

Chaos Turtle

"Guests" in the who's-online bar at the bottom of the main forums page really are guests. "invisible" members still show up in the "members" count, only their names are not shown.

For example, right now there are 7 members on but only 6 names showing, cuz I'm invisible. :)

D

DÛke

...personally don't think it's funny.

Sure, sure...AIM does whatever the hell She said it does...but come on...not everyone is a computer freak...

I was exchanging one of my pics on AIM and I made that mistake...twice. It's not hard to make...especially when you have no idea what the heck you're doin'...like me...and like Zero.

...and although I agree that it's not HER pic, my reasons are totally different compared to everyone else's. THEY think it's not her pic because she's "too good looking", therefore, Magic players are not supposed to be ANYWHERE near being physically attractive, SO, in conclusion...the pic is not hers. (Can you believe the attitudes of some people?)

It's like people (both non-Magic players and even MORE so Magic players themselves) have a catalog of what Magic players are supposed to look like, smell like, eat, play, and so on...

One paragraph: get a life, and become more civilized. We're in the freakin' 21st century dang it...you'd think people are at least more open minded about issues like that. That even applies to this WHOLE thread...I mean, who GIVES a dang about who's registered or not...just post your own thoughts...enjoy if you can...and move freakin' ON...