What is a casual player of Magic, once and for all...

What is a casual player?

• One who does not play regularly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One who plays without regard to a format, or formats.

• One who owns few cards and spends little money on the game.

• Anyone that does not play on the pro circut.

• Some of the above.

• All of the above.

• This is pointless. We'll never agree on anything. Get back to work.

• This is pointless. It's all a matter of what you consider yourself.

• Total voters
R

Rando

ca-su-al adj. 1- Occurring by chance. 2- Occurring at irregular intervals; not planned; occasional. 3- Showing little interest; nonchalant. 4- Without ceremony or formality.

This lovely little group of people we have here does not seem to be able to come to a concensus of what exactly a casual Magic player is.

In fact, all over the net you will find several definitions of a Casual Player.

I'm putting up this poll to see what the general idea of a casual player is amoung the Casual Players Alliance. If we can't decide what exatly it is that makes all of the same, then who can?

T

TeamRegime.com

Tough answer..at least for this site.
BUT id have to agree with the last choice...except the part of it being pointless.

Casual has many different meanings to all types of Magic players. I believe we ALL have our roots in casual type of play...you- if not - all of us were introduced to Magic by a friend...thus the casual side came forth...once we got the "bug" some of us chose different roads...the ptour aspiration road, the casual- play WHAT YOU want and WHEN you want road...then theres the middle road...but they ALL have something in common --Playing Magic...and for alot..having FUN.

The word CASUAL has such an ambiguous meaning and the answers will vary until the cows come home...

Good Luck fellow Missourian!

nicholas knight

V

Vasco_da_Gama

Here's da thing about dis:

If you try and tell a person who says he/she is a 'casual player' that they are not, they're gonna get mad.
Same for the versa vice.

You may be able to come up with some traits that TEND to accompany a casual player, but ya gotta emphasize tend.

Those might be:
-relaxed attitude to formats/restrictions
-low attendance at sanctioned events
-high attendance at social events
-preference for less used cards

and probably many others. But even if you get a correct dictionary definition, somebody (and 50 of somebody's friends) are gonna dispute it.

Good luck ;)

A

arhar

LOL!!!!

Choice "This is pointless. It's all a matter of what you consider yourself." has 6 votes, everything else 0 :)

Is this finally a topic that EVERYONE can agree on? :eek:

D

DÛke

...I am in the process of writing an article about what a casual player is.

D

Daggertooth

Hmmmm........ a casual player. I would say someone who dosn't have the time, money, or recorses to make magic a full time sport. But is willing to make it into an obsessive hobby.

Look at how other activites define casual. Such as Recreation soccer Vs. Highschool, college, or Pro.

Daggertooth

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think someone said it best on that other thread (Duke's "Pathetic" thread?):

a casual is NOT a person who lives, breathes, and tests Magic all day long with the intent of going to tourneys to win money as a job.

E

ErinPuff

I consider myself a casual player..

One who does not play regularly-- Okay, you could say that of me, though it's really because my friend who organizes Magic nights at his house is awfully lazy. ;)

One who plays without regard to a format, or formats. Quite true; that's definitely me.

One who owns few cards and spends little money on the game. That's sorta me, compared to some people.. I buy a booster box every other month or so, and I buy a fair amount of packs.. I don't spend too much money on singles.. I consider myself to have a lot of cards, but the only other collections I've seen in relation to mine are those of my friends, who don't buy as many cards as I do.

Anyone that does not play on the pro circut. That's me. Never even played in a "casual" tournament. Call it laziness, call it fear of smelly people ;)..

This is pointless. It's all a matter of what you consider yourself

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
In my opinion, a casual magic player has the following attributes.

Enjoys playing Magic, tournament or otherwise.
Enjoys exploring new deck types that otherwise would be shunned
Cares not for if he/she wins or loses, but how good the match was
Enjoys multi-player
Is open to new ideas on ways to play Magic, i.e Mental Magic, Chaos Magic, Ultimate Chaos Magic
Is willing to help a friend build a deck that he knows will beat his

These are the most important things I find in a casual magic player. I have all of these attributes plus one more:

Winning isn't everything, but I like doing it.

Ransac, cpa trash man

I

Istanbul

It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.

A casual player lives by that mantra.

C

Cateran Emperor

I play by no mantra. I just play. The last choice now has a dozen votes, while the others are empty. I think that pretty well sums up our feelings on this.

Z

Zadok001

I've propounded a single definition of "casual player" since our founding. I must say, I feel it is by far the most all-consuming definition you can find.

A casual player is anyone who believes they are a casual player.

Yes, that includes some high-level pros. But really, we're open to them. If someone comes to this site who's won a PT, would we turn them away? I think not. And why should we?

You are casual if you think you are.

F

FrigginRizzo

Why would anyone possibly want to obtain a "once and for all" definition of a casual player? Why would anyone want to put themselves in such a restrictive box? While it may be nice to belong to a certain group, trying to ascertain the exact definition of a casual player, and then making sure that you live up to said definition is doing yourself a great injustice.

Just friggin' play, and forget about wearing the casual (or pro) label.

John Friggin' Rizzo

D

Duel

Right. 16 people so far have voted for "This is pointless" #2. I voted for the original "This is pointless"

Why are we even discussing this? We won't get anywhere. Trust me. I'm not gonna post on this thread again, except possibly to suggest that we should move this to classic questions. It is one that has been asked before.

R

Rando

God forbid that we may want to discuss real and relavant issues.

Your right, let's go back to talking about "what your favorite 1cc creature is".

How do any of you expect this "club" to grow into anything more serious then it is?

...why do I continue to try?

Every time, EVERY time, that I post a serious issue for discussion, everyone whines a little and then goes on to something more "safe".

But hey...who the hell am I, besides someone who does not want to see his favorite web-site swallowed up into the net abyss.

I'm now convinced that the CPA will never be anymore then a small social gathering, and not any true force in the Magic community. I'm going to stick to my RPG and the off topic stuff that looks interesting and not get involved. It seems to be in vouge.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't let Duel get you down...

Although I also share your sentiments about this place never being a force in the community, given the type of responses we get from threads like the one where we discussed possible involvement in a player's banning and what kind of issues should the CPA get involved in since the original driving forces have mitigated, somewhat.

M

Mikeymike

Damn, you sure said a mouthful in that last post. You speak a lot of truth but don't let it get to you. Although it can be frustrating when a serious topic isn't taken seriously, you did get a few posts worth you while.

If we can't decide what exactly it is that makes all of the same, then who can?
The truth of the matter is that everyone comes here for there own reasons. We ARE NOT all the same in our Magic preferences, but I think its safe to say that we all share a common bond that there is more to Magic than just winning.

Rando, what's your definition of the casual player? It sounds like there is something in particular you are trying to figure out or say. I think 'Casual Magic' and its players is a little to broad of a term, not that it covers too many people, but that it has too many meanings.

My definition has always been similar to both Vasco De Gama's and Ransac's, especially the multiplayer, weird deck/card usage, and relaxed playing environments.

The most important aspect of casual Magic in my eyes is how it is a common interest that brought (and brings in my case) a group of people together that might otherwise have never met one another. I love Magic, and I wouldn't without a cool group of people to play with.

O

olwen

Originally posted by Mikeymike

The most important aspect of casual Magic in my eyes is how it is a common interest that brought (and brings in my case) a group of people together that might otherwise have never met one another. I love Magic, and I wouldn't without a cool group of people to play with.
I heartily second this. One of the reasons I like Magic is that I can go almost anywhere in the world and pull out a deck and play a game of Magic against someone else with their own deck.

D

DÛke

...isn't in the name...I disagree completely with Zadok. (Sorry :))

...casual is when you play a game, ANY game, against ANY opponent, against ANY deck...yet, still enjoy.

When you have fun - no matter how you had it - that's casual.