APOCALYPSE cards

F

FoundationOfRancor

Heres some more cards from pwrchild over at Mtgnews...

Whirlpool Warrior
2U
Creature - Merfolk
2/2
When Whirlpool Warrior comes into play, shuffle the cards from your hand into you library, then draw that many cards.
<R>: Sacrifice Whirlpool Warrior: Each player shuffles the cards from his or her hand into his or her library, then draws that many cards.

Bloodfire Dwarf
R
Creature - Dwarf
1/1
<R>, Sacrifice Bloodfire Dwarf: Bloodfire Dwarf deals 1 damage to each creature without flying.

Phyrexian Gargantua
4BB
Creature - Horror
4/4
When Phyrexian Gargantua comes into play, you draw two cards and you lose 2 life.

Suffocating Blast
1UUR
Instant
Counter target spell and Suffocating Blast deals 3 damage to target creature.

Penumbra Kavu
4G
Creature - Kavu
3/3
When Penumbra Kavu is put into a graveyard from play, put a 3/3 black Kavu creature token into play.

Penumbra Wurm
5GG
Creature - Wurm
6/6
Trample
When Penumbra Wurm is put into a graveyard from play, put a 6/6 black Wurm creature token with trample into play.

Gaea's Skyfolk
GU
Creature - Elf Merfolk
2/2
Flying

Anavolver
3G
Creature - Volver
3/3
Kicker <1U> and/or <B>
If you paid the <1U> kicker cost, Anavolver comes into play with two +1/+1 counters on it and has flying.
If you paid the <B> kicker cost, Anavolver comes into play with a +1/+1 counter on it and has, "Pay 3 life: Regenerate Anavolver."

Penumbra Bobcat
2G
Creature - Cat
2/1
When Penumbra Bobcat is put into the graveyard from play, put a 2/1 black Cat creature token into play.

Jilt
1U
Instant
Kicker <1R>
Return target creature to its owner's hand. If you paid the kicker cost, Jilt deals 2 damage to another target creature.

Gerrard Capashen
3WW
Creature - Legend
3/4
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life for each card in target opponent's hand.
<3W>: Tap target creature. Play this ability only if Gerrard Capashen is attacking.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Does anybody know what Finkel's card turned out to be? It was supposed to be released in Apocalypse.

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Necrosavant

I could be (and probably am) wrong, but I thought it was going to be in Vendetta, the second set of the Odyssey (sp?)
block. Anyone know?

C

Chaos Turtle

I'm pretty sure Finkel's card isn't due until the first expansion to Odyssey. That's the normal time for Invitational winners' cards to be released.

On-topic:

Assuming these latest cards are real, I'd say Apocalypse is going to live up the classification of "Expert" set. Complex, versatile cards that offer a deep range of strategies.

I wonder whether there will be "penumbra" type cards for other colors? Probably with a different name? But wow, those cards are wild! The tokens they leave behind are better than the original creatures (cuz they're black and therefore immune to most direct removal). Green's gonna get ugly, I think, with creatures that die only to leave behind fearsome shadowy versions of themselves.

Phyrexian Gargantua, I hope, is part of a subset of cards with that mini-necro ability. If there are some smaller-creature versions, an ability like that could be amazing in suicide black decks.

Gaea's Skyfolk is not as cool as I was hoping... but a 2/2 flyer for 2 is pretty strong, even if the mana cost is of two opposing colors. Not that it will be a big deal if the new painlands are real. (And please, please god, let them be real.)

Suffocating Blast appears narrow and unlikely to be used. Now, if it had said "...target creature or player" then it would be as amazing as Absorb and Undermine, but having to have a target spell and a targetable creature in play to use it on makes it hard to use. And check out the increase in mana cost...

Not like anyone else couldn't do the math, but Anavolver is pretty strong, is it not? It's a Hill Giant at it's normal cost, a 5/5 flyer for 4GU, a 4/4 with a hefty regenerate cost at 3GB, or an amazing 6/6 flyer with regeneration at 4GUB. Not that the last of those would ever see any play outside of limited, but wow-what-a-beast.

Are we to look forward to a cycle of "Volver" creatures that are playable (if slightly overcosted) creatures in their own right that become just gruesome when an opposing-color kicker is applied? I do hope so.

Jilt will be just amazing in limited, I think, with possible constructed applicating in a kind of "bounce-and-burn" deck. Not Counterburn, mind you, as decks like that would probably want more verstile bounce, or mass-bounce as provided by Evacuation.

Gerrard Capashen, like Tahngarth, is fabulous beats in limited. The lifegain ability would make creature-stalls irrelevant, since you can afford to give up 3-4 life per turn in a damage race, and that's probably about how many cards the average opponent is likely to have in her hand. Add to that the fact that he can tap one or two of their best blockers when he attacks (with a few of your other beasties) and I think you have a card worthy of the legend's name.
Whether he'll be any good in constructed, though, remains to be seen, as his mana cost is pretty high. Perhaps as a kill in some kind of white control deck that just makes your creatures irrelevant with Worship. Better yet, maybe a blue-white deck with lots of bounce and a soft lock (Temporal Adept/Arcane Lab?) since the bounced cards can make for mega-life advantage.

I'll stop now. ;)

L

Lotus Mox

The smaller Gargantua:

Phyrexian Rager 2B
Creature - Horror
When ~this~ comes into play, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
2/2 Common

about the flagbearer mechanic:

from pwrchild:
Flagbearer is a creature type. The accomanying ability is written out on the card (it's not a keyword). Sort of like the en-Kor mechanic.

there are:

Coalition Flag: an enchant creature that gives the creature the ability.

Coalition Honor Guard

Standard Bearer

Its only a 148 (if you count the splitcards twice) card set. How many do you want? Anyway, that's all there are and they're white.

F

fuzzy510

Apocalypse looks promising. Although, I said that about Planeshift, and I was disappointed. I dunno.

D

Dead

Anyone else notice how one of the themes of this block appears to be giving control decks fits? Red got uncounterables- urza's rage and obliterate; white got pure reflection which creates tokens even when they counter the critter; and Green got blurred mongoose and Kavu Chameleon which couldn't be countered.

But the situation gets far nastier with these penumbra creatures- not only do they survive a wrath / rout intact, they shift colour in the process to get around story circle / CoPs :) . Definitely want some for my altar of dementia deck. The only issue i see with them is that given the vast amounts of bounce in this set, the tokens are not as durable as you might want when smacked with a recoil.

I also like the black mini-necro critters- one of the problems with suicide black i found was it burnt out it's hand kinda quick. I wouldn't mind trading a bit of life for some more cards. Is this the edge an ultra-fast RB deck needed to gain in IBC? Still no rituals tho...

L

Lotus Mox

the missing part in the blue-off-color-counter cycle:

Mystic Snake
1GUU
Creature - Snake
2/2
You may play Mystic Snake any time you could play an instant.
When Mystic Snake comes into play, counter target spell.

Imagine this with Gating! :cool:

C

CaineFate

mystic snake would rock with cavern harpy. counterspell with a buyback of UB and 1 life anyone?

L

Lotus Mox

Infos from Sideboard magazine:
Names of Apoc Cards:

Spectral Lynx
Suppress
Goblin Ringleader
Savage Gorilla
Lightning Angel
Last Stand
Squee's Revenge

Some other stsuff:
- the Legacy Weapon
- Three Black cards that can destroy enchantments
- Multiple cards with mana costs never used before in Magic
- A card that allows you to play Rith for 2 colorless
- A cycle of creatures known as lego creatures in design
- Two cards known as the New Disk and New Necro
- A better version of the first multicolored enchantment
- A three mana sorcery that lets you get and keep three cards
- A counterspell that cannot be Duressed
- An enchantment that allows you to activate it to tutor for cards multiple times
- two five color cards
From pwrchild:
Spectral Lynx
1W
Creature - Cat
2/1
Protection from green
<B>: Regenerate Spectral Lynx.

Suppress
2B
Sorcery
Target player removes all cards in his or her hand from the game face down. At the end of that player's next turn, that player returns those cards to his or her hand.

Goblin Ringleader
2R
Creature - Goblin
2/2
Haste
When Goblin Ringleader comes into play, reveal the top four cards of your library. Put all Goblin cards revealed this way into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library.

Savage Gorilla
4G
Creature - Ape
3/3
<U>, <B>, <T>, Sacrifice Savage Gorilla: Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn. Draw a card.

Lightning Angel
1RWU
Creature - Angel
3/4
Flying, haste
Attacking doesn't cause Lightning Angel to tap.

Last Stand
WUBRG
Sorcery
Target opponent loses 2 life for each swamp you control. Last stand deals damage equal to the number of mountains you control to target creature. Put a 1/1 green Saproling token into play for each forest you control. You gain 2 life for each plains you control. Draw a card for each island you control, then discard that many cards from your hand.

Legacy Weapon
Legendary Artifact
<W><U><B><R><G>: Remove target permanent from the game.
If Legacy Weapon would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Legacy Weapon and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

L

Lotus Mox

Some other stsuff:
- the Legacy Weapon revealed by pwrchild
- Three Black cards that can destroy enchantments we know Vindicate already
- Multiple cards with mana costs never used before in Magic there are lots of unused multi-color mana costs, this isn't exactly surprising :)
- A card that allows you to play Rith for 2 colorless It would be cool if this card would allow 2nd turn Rith :D
- A cycle of creatures known as lego creatures in design Penumbra or Flagbearer creatures??
- Two cards known as the New Disk and New Necro a balanced Disk would be nice to see, I hope it can deal with enchantments
- A better version of the first multicolored enchantment a better Dark Heart of the Wood? sacrifice any land to gain 3 life?
- A three mana sorcery that lets you get and keep three cards maybe the new Necro? pay 3 life, draw 3 cards
- A counterspell that cannot be Duressed Mystic Snake
- An enchantment that allows you to activate it to tutor for cards multiple times I hope it's more usable than Planar Portal
- two five color cards Cromat and Last Stand

L

Lotus Mox

If this is going on at that rate we'll know the whole set in a few days :)

-------

The other black cards that destroy enchantments are:

Quagmire Druid
2B
Creature - Zombie Druid
2/2
<G, T>, Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target enchantment.

Pernicious Deed
1BG
Enchantment
<X>, Sacrifice Pernicious Deed: Destroy each artifact, creature, and enchantment with converted mana cost X or less.

The card that lets you play Rith for <2>:

Dragon Arch
Artifact
<2, T>: Put a multicolored creature card from your hand into play.

The new Necro:

Phyrexian Arena
1BB
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.

The Sorcery with a converted mana cost of 3 that may get you 3 cards:

Guided Passage
URG
Sorcery
Reveal the cards in your library. An opponent chooses from among them a creature card, a land card, and a noncreature, nonland card. You put chosen cards into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

The enchantment that lets you tutor:

Wild Research
2R
Enchantment
<1W>: Search your library for a enchantment card and reveal that card. Put it into your hand, then discard a card at random from your hand. The shuffle your library.
<1U>: Search your library for an instant card and reveal that card. Put it into your hand, then discard a card at random from your hand. Then shuffle your library.

-------

Wow this cards are amazing, the new disk/powder keg(Pernicious Deed) is pretty strong. Although G/B isn't exactly a control deck.

Dragon Arch is nice, 1st turn 2 Rituals, 2nd turn a big fat Dragon Legend :D

But I still want to know what Squee's Revenge is, I hope it's a Goblin Game enchantment. Goblin Game every turn :D.
Flavour text: "I'm killing you again and again, but you still want to play this stupid game! :(", Crovax, last words before commiting suicide.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Spectral Lynx
This card is weird, but I like it. A possible solution to blastoderm for white.

Suppress
Hmmm..this is pretty ok. It's like an Orims Chant without the attacking part.

Goblin Ringleader
A 2/2 Haster for 2R is good, but this guy is gonna be awesome in a goblin deck.

Savage Gorilla
I like it, but I cant see it being played...

Lightning Angel [b/]
I love her!! But a "lightning" angel and a "deslote" angel in the same set? Seems weird...

Last Stand
One of these days, someone is going to play a domain deck.

Legacy Weapon
This card is SO cool! It makes me really want to make a domain deck!!

Quagmire Druid
Looks ok, but not a big shock. If your splashing green you can always put in traquility.

Pernicious Deed
This card *will* create a Green-Black control deck. Its awesome. Its like void in a way.

Dragon Arch
It looks cool, but I dont see it having much play. If any.

Phyrexian Arena
Besides having the coolest name ever, this card is very cool. They really want to make a Mono-Black speed decktype. Here here!

Guided Passage
I dont understand this card.

Wild Research
I like this card, I can see it being a good way to fetch counters on Counter-Hammer (Alas, without the Hammer:( )

D

Duel

Legacy weapon makes domain decks worthwhile.... now if only it didn't target.....

3 Legacy Weapon
4 Dragon Arch
2 Belbe's Portal
3 Planar Portal
2 Rith
2 Croisis
1 Darigaaz
1 Treva
1 Dromar
3 Sisay
2 Coalition victory
4 Harrow
4 Tribal Flames
3 Collective Restraint

hehehe......

L

Landkiller

Well...a round of applause for some awesome cards!

I really, really hope they are real. I like them a lot.

I knew Invasion Block would be the best block ever for coolness, and I am not disappointed at all!

Z

Zadok001

*sputters* Wow...

The Penumbra creatures have potential to function very, very well in a G/W deck that runs Wraths! They also look to be quite impressive alongside recursive cards, but I think they shine brightest with mass removal. People refer to Parallax Wave as a one sided wrath - Play with these critters, and Wrath really IS one-sided!

Jilt, on the other hand, looks totally useless - For 2UR you get an Unsummon and a Shock? Or 1U for just the Unsummon? Whoop-de-doo. Bletch, not worth using as toilet paper. I hate chaff!

Lightning Angel is a STUNNING finisher. It's strong in every way, especially for a creature costing a mere 4 mana. The colors are a problem, of course, but perhaps a U/W deck could splash red for some burn and these rather than Millstones? It would certainly be the quicker choice!

Last Stand is hilarious. Not overly strong, I'm afraid, though. Swamps, Mountains, and Forests stand out as the best, and I can see it being played in Domain decks, but the casting cost is absurd if you want to focus the effect AT ALL. Fortunately, it's insane when it works. :)

Legacy Weapon is... Stunning? Too bad it costs 7 to play, it would give Domain decks a true fighting chance. Blastoderm would quickly become annoying, but I'm sure there are work arounds for a non-tapping effect that REMOVES PERMANENTS FROM THE GAME NO MATTER WHAT. Good god.

The new Disk is... Well, it's there. Not great, but not weak. Thank God they didn't put the sorcery clause in it, or I'd shoot someone... Now, if only Saproling Burst and Blastoderm costed the same amount, and if only Ritual weren't going away forever...

Phyrexian Arena? This howling MINE.

Guided Passage is to no end amusing. Can't WAIT to see THAT being played. In the right deck, of course, it's a Demonic Tutor. ("Gosh, whadda you know? Only one creature card? How'd THAT happen?")

Wild Reseach looks to be excellent, once I explore the possibilities a bit more... No card disadvantage!

C

Chaos Turtle

Penumbra creatures are (apparently, no other colors have been revealed for this ability) green creatures that, when they die, leave behind a token that's the same creature, only black.