Classic Question: Is there room for Civility in Magic?

Killer Joe

I once posted a thread discussing this very topic (can't remember where it is though), but here's where I'm comming from: Through the five or so years I've been playing Magic, I have witnessed some AMAZING case studies for 'People Skills' or lack of as this thread will lead to for discussion.
Here are some things I do for my opponent (now mind you I'm speaking from a premier tournament event ie PTQ or pre-release)
I shower before leaving my home for the event.
I brush my teeth.
I always keep "Altoids" handy (as counters ;)).
I always introduce myself (usually first name only).
I announce all of my phases.
I don't talk about my opponent to my friends during a match as if s/he didn't exsist.
I don't eat greasy hoagies or pizza during the match, especially when I'm playing with Duress and other "i'm gonna touch your cards with my greasy hands" cards :()
I don't ask my opponent for counters or dice when I'm clearly playing a deck with a ton of Fading cards and tokens.
I always keep track of both life totals.
I only call a judge when necessary, not as a game stratagy.
I always politely ask my opponent if it's okay to read a card I'm unfamiliar with, not lunge over the table and say, "What in God's creation is THAT piece of S***!!!!!"
I never assume to know what deck my opponent is using (at least not out loud to my opponent's potentially next opponent).
I don't get outwardly angry when I'm being beaten by someone that I have mistakenly underestimated their playing skills ie someone really young or old or stinky ;).
I never ask to take back a mistake or move that I make.
I've stopped my friendly chattering (because that's really annoying to people - I've found out ;))
I don't cheat, misrepresent a card or do 'funny' shuffling.
I always offer my opponent an opportunity to cut my deck.
And I always extend my hand for a shake at the completion of a match.
Now I ask you, is this too much to expect from your opponent, especially when you're overextending these protocol's, or what?

E

EricBess

So, you must be one of those rude people that never extends an opponent a hearty "Good luck" at the beginning of the match? I didn't see that on your list anywhere ;)

How about one of those people that watch another person's match (casual or tournament game) and comment on the substandard cards being used (he must really be an idiot)? Without even knowing what the deck is about.

We're all playing the same game here. As a magic community, we should consider all other players as being "on the same team" in the sense the we all are in it to have fun. Granted, some people define "having fun" as winning money.

Bottom line is this: Respect those around you! You are no better than they, even if you happen to have more experience and expertise.

Thanks for the list, Yellowjacket.

Killer Joe

I will, from now on, wish my opponent "Good-Luck" (unless, of course, it's John "Friggin" Rizzo, in which case I'll lean over the table and face him nose to nose and scream, "GOOD FRIGGIN' LUCK, CHIEF!!!!")
I am a responsible spectator and do NOT make smartalec remarks on or about cards and/or game play techniques (God, I know mine suck so I won't tell someone else that :))
I wear clean clothes that have been washed with ERA and Downey (Man, I love that smell :))
I do not pick or scratch my nose, arm pits or A** while playing.
Nor do I sniff my fingers after such pleasures.
I use clean sleves and, if I do use old ones I make sure I properly wipe off the proxy marks I've made on them such as This is a "Lin Sivvi".
I'm sure there are more.........;.

F

fuzzy510

There are some of these that I do expect when I play a game of Magic. For instance, I don't want my opponent to eat greasy foods, even if they wouldn't be looking at my hand. I also wouldn't want my opponent to depend on me for something that is neccessary for them to play the game. However, I wouldn't expect my opponent to announce all of their phases, unless they had cards that were activated or could only be played during a certain phase. The things that I expect are common courtesy. Anything more is great, but I'll be just as happy as long as my opponent is courteous and sportsmanlike.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
but just not "Classic" enough the way we were defining the forum (no offense, YJ).

I do remember you bringing this up before.

Are all those on your list personal experiences? Or are you just listing stuff to be listed? Just curious... ;)

C

Chaos Turtle

On account of I have "People Skillz" I just want to give you some friendly reminders on how to act whilst playing Magic.

[*]I shower, shave, comb-and-gel my hair, clip my nails, brush my teeth before leaving my home for the event.
[*]I also go poop.
[*]I always keep "Altoids" handy (to counter everyone else's fetid breath; also they can be used as nosegays in case said opponent has poor hygiene).
[*]I always introduce myself (as the beast that will destroy your life).
[*]I announce all of my phases, since most players are savage cheaters and try to make up their own rules.
[*]I talk about my opponent to my friends during a match as if s/he is the nicest person I've ever played against, with icy sarcasm.
[*]I don't eat greasy hoagies or pizza during the match, unless I'm playing with Lobotomy and other "I'm gonna touch all of your cards with my greasy hands" cards.
[*]I don't ask my opponent for counters or dice when I'm clearly playing a deck with a ton of Fading cards and tokens. Instead, I insist that I can "remember" anything improtant that counters or dice would be used for.
[*]I always keep track of both life totals. Again, savage cheaters are everywhere.
[*]I take notes on every little thing that happens, carefully avoiding specific notes on the contents of my opponent's deck, as this violates DCI Floor Rules, and that's what weird abbreviations are for anyways.
[*]I only call a judge when necessary, not as a game strategy, unless I'm about to lose to some scrubby moron who doesn't announce his g*dd**med phases.
[*]I always politely ask my opponent if it's okay to read a book, while I wait for him to figure out what his cards do.
[*]I never assume to know what deck my opponent is using (at least not out loud to my opponent's potentially next opponent) since I generally play against "casual" players who wouldn't know what a decent deck was if it jumped out of a toilet and bit their (eek!) off.
[*]I don't get outwardly angry when I'm being beaten by someone. Rather, I stare coldly, silently judging them.
[*]I never ask to take back a mistake or move that I make. I just do it and claim the cards slipped.
[*]I've stopped my friendly chattering. Actually, I've never been much of a friendly chatterbox.
[*]I don't cheat, misrepresent a card or do 'funny' shuffling. In fact, I don't shuffle at all, though I pretend to...very convincingly.
[*]I always offer my opponent an opportunity to cut my deck, then "un-cut" it surreptitiously when they are not looking.
[*]And I always extend my hand for a burger, fries, and a shake at the completion of a match. Sadly, I rarely get any of those things.
[*]Now I ask you, is it too much to expect your opponent to ignore these protocols? Or even to do me a big favor and just stay the hell home?

Just thought I'd ask.

(Disclaimer: Yellowjacket better be able to take a joke, cuz I am just kidding. I am the nicest Magic player I know. Also the best, which is one good reason for everyone else to just stay home and watch Dark Angel on Fox or something.)

Killer Joe

I laughed so hard this morning that I actually had coffee squirt out of my nose :) :) :) :)!!!!!!!
Fair enough, though, I loved your retort. You see, this PROVES you are a true genius at writing (I refuse to say you're good looking, though ;)).

F

FrigginRizzo

Is this the same Yellowjacket who (by the way was NOT wearing a yellow jacket) I met at the Planeshift prerelease when he walked up to me and said "I'm Yellowjacket and you're Rizzo? You don't look that tough to me, biatch!"

When I tried to explain that I wasn't tough at all, nor never claimed to be, he said "If you don't shut up right now, I'll take you outside and beat the living <insert a whole bunch of vulgarities here> out of you and violate you with my empty Altoid container!"

Me: "C'mon Mark, take it easy."

YJ: "Don't make me whip out the Glock and flatblast you!"

Me: "But aren't you like a teacher or something?"

YJ: "Yeah, imma teach you the meaning of 'within an inch of your life,' damnit!"

Me: "Want an Altoid?"

YJ: "Hey, thanks, but I have my own. But I appreciate that wonderful gesture. Now get up out of my face before I get medieval on your a**!"

So, I ask you, Yellowjacket, IS there room for civility in Magic?

John Friggin' Rizzo

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
That list that Yellowjacket posted perfectly describes how I play(well, except for the altoids. I like glass tokens or dice better). But, the thing that pisses me off the most is the last one. I always offer to shake my opponent's hand before we play and after we play, and I always wish them good luck. But, where I play(new wave in Atlanta) there are several people that look at you funny or downright refuse when you offer the handshake. One person, after I beat him, frown at me and said "I don't want to shake hands with an a** like you!". That really upset me. It also directly affected the way I played after that match, because I was so unhappy and too upset to concentrate on the match.

Here's what I getting at. If I'm ever in this situation again, does anyone here mind if I cuss the jerk out?

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

TeamRegime.com

If your facing an a****** opponent before during and after the match use your judgement. Cuss him out...if you ever in KC area I gots your back. Ive come across many an a** at major tournaments and even had fists fights..I know its immature for it to get to that level BUT some people NEED theyre a** kicked before they see the light. Im obliged to take em outside and rearrange their a** like a chaos orb on speed. This occurence is RARE but has happened a total of 3 times. Most of the time I give subtle but direct verbal warnings to NOT Fork with me. I DO have a bad rep in certain areas but the rep also provides me with a sense of security that people wont try to cheat, trashtalk and all that BS. PLUS I KNOW all the Judges and Organizers (I used to DEAL)..

I STRONGLY believe In sportsmanship and good hygene...but Im so blunt Ill tell my opponent that they stink or have dragon breathe..it's total distraction when you cant breathe and your eyes are watering. I extend the handshake AFTER the game...not always...the worse moment was when a lil cockroach crawled out from my opponents pant leg...yuck.

Im more like a "Blue-Control" person. Im reactionary..If I see that my opponent is NOT an A** I will make every effort to make the game an enjoyable experience..if not..Ill make sure they DO NOT have a good game and NOT shake the hand.

Is this a bad attitude? Hmmmm..I dont think so.

Nicholas Knight
www.teamregime.com

S

Salacious Crumb

Yeah, if you're playing some greasy stinky nerd with no respect for you rights, then its best to give him what he deserves, a big old punch in the gut.

Hoipa

M

Multani

An 'Eye for an Eye' philosophy is not always a bad atitude, and it isn't always a good one either...
Personally, I don't think violence has any place in Magic, but some of you seem to disagree...

As for civility, well, let's just say I'm guilty of snatching a card and looking at it every now and then, and I'm not into the handshake, usually just a 'nice game'. But overall, I'd say I'm pretty relaxed, but that might have to do with the fact that I've never played a serious tourney game in my life. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree with Multani; if a guy's being a jerk, just play the match and get it over as soon as possible. Depending on the "jerkiness", you may have to call over the judge/organizer, but I don't see why you have to lower yourself and cuss him out just because of dumb comments. Just play the game.

A

Almindhra

Well at Regionals I had this thread in the back of my mind...And I tried, I really did, mentally, to be talkative and introduce myself...Oh well, it didn't work...They were nice though...Not telling me that "Hey, you are really bad at Magic, what are you doing here?"..lol...They asked me where I was from, and the 2nd guy showed me his deck...

Oh well, maybe next tourny, if there is a next one...

C

Chaos Turtle

I can personally vouch for the fact that the players at New Wave are by and large unpleasant to play. But then, the employees at New Wave are generally unpleasant to deal with. In fact, most of my experience with New Wave has been generally unpleasant.