Your CPA name.-Needs HELP.

T

TeamRegime.com

I must have some time on my hands at work.

CPA the name. While I like this name I don't. Someone mentioned the name is a misnomer. You bet it is. Casual seems like a bad word. If you play magic (my opinion folks) I don't think it's casual. Just because your not a Pro or cut-throat doesn't mean your a mean person. I've read several postings and have come to he conclusion that you "regulars" are not at all casual. I think your average. Competitive yet not too much...casual yet you care enough to be here.

I recognize the purpose of this place. A place for people to post, read and take polls about Magic and having a place to do it. You don't discrminate against pros but theres an aura of going against the grain. I've personally witnessed other sites (I wont name them) the sheer arrogance and elitist attitude sites have. To these sites...screw em'..but Ill return because I love information..whether it's from an elitist or from here..the other side.

I just read SOL MALKAS campaign for people to "vote" for him in the writers war at CCG..he ribs this site in the fact it's "Casual"...it's like you have to have a "casual" disclaimer or joke as to appease the audience here. I think your members are above that. I maybe wrong because I've been here just over a week and have been flamed on more than one occasion. But, I have to admit -- I like confrontations...It MAKES you think.

back to the subject...the Name CASUAL PLAYERS ALLIANCE...If I had enough money I'd pay you to change the name. Your readers and members are much more than casual. They are the heart and soul of Magic. I honestly believe that if WIZARDS stops printing Magic and shuts down the TOUR..this place would have a surgence of members. Why? Because long after Magic has died (I really don't see that happening) there will be players..not casual players but true PLAYERS.

If I could change the name...I might re-name it this.

"Players Alliance"
"The Gathering"
"Friends of Magic"
"Not So Casual Players Alliance"
"The Game"
"Anti-Establishment"
or something to that effect....make some suggestions even though it will probably NEVER happen.

And one more thing. The logo. Yuck. Im a designer by trade and I will offer my services for free (normally 50.00 an hour for web logos and banners)...Just tell me the parameters and I can submit 10-20 logos that are web-ready.

Im 100% sure I pissed some people off but Ill take it. I just want to help out a site that I like. (For Free).

Nicholas Knight
(You'll notice my earlier post about B*#ching...you'll also notice I offered SOLUTIONS!).

M

Major Crime

THe name is Casual Players Alliance, not casual Players Alliance, which shows that we mean casual not casual! *&?~ Or in English (so you may need to translate) Casual equals non-pro-player i.e. someone who may play tournies but who does not mind not coming top 8 every time, or someone who can think about using a deck which is unknown. Where as casual is someone who may play now or again or not.

R

Rando

We've already established a reputaion for ourselves under the banner of CPA.

Changing the name now that we already have recognition would be a mistake, in my opinion.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You're certainly the new guy "stirring" up trouble, eh?

Kidding, kidding... ;)

I'm not sure I understand your first paragraph. What is YOUR definition of "casual"? The site basically sprang up in response to the tourney-heavy oriented atmosphere of the Dojo (and maybe NewWave? What other Magic sites were out then?) and specifically WANTED to get away from the "net deck" syndrome. The stance has kinda relaxed a bit as a lot of tourney advice goes on and decks pop up, but this is really about playing with 85% of the cards in an expansion, as opposed to 15% (or whatever number edt or some pro gave on the Dojo a while back).

I'm not sure what would happen if we got swamped by "everyone" if all other Magic sites went down, but I can assure you that the style we have here will probably grate on some nerves and it won't be to their liking. I don't think we're going to change the way we do things just because the top 4 at the Pro Tour decide to frequent here. :)

I don't mind the logo itself...

G

Gizmo

I still prefer Casual Player`s Community.
But Rando is right - brand awareness is a valuable thing.

H

Hetemti

Casual Players Alliance fits perfectly.

Quit being a pest.

A

arhar

I think the name CPA should stay because there's simply not much the CPA could offer the Pro-Tour regulars. Of course, among our 1000+ members we have some pros, like Gizmo, John O, and Neil Rigby, but they are not here because they're looking for latest 'tech'. I seem them mostly helping the other CPA members with deck advice, rules questions, etc (and I think that's a great thing). But basically, Spiderman is right - this place, as always, offers a "safe haven" from all the tourney-oriented 'tech-talk' that can be easily found on Mindripper, StarCity, and other sites. The other thing is these forums offer a sense of community that is not present anywhere else on the Web, but you probably found that out already :)

And finally, I think it's a great idea that a professional designer would make a new CPA logo :)

N

NeuroDeus

Well casual or not casual (I want to play tourneys) CPA stuck and it will stick forever... But yes (the damn logo needs damn changin)

AND LETS GO BACK TO BLACK/RED/ORANGE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE...

B

Baron Sengir

Casual means more than the type of player. It's also an attitude. We are a casual magic website, which means our focus is much broader than your average net.dec site. I think that even if you're a pro player, you can still enjoy this site because it's a hell of a lot of fun and there is more content than tourney reports and decks full of the tier 1 cards.

Where else are you gonna find ogre theme decks? I gotta stick with my baby: Casual Players Alliance is who we are.

I remain
The Baron
"Hey, it could be worse. We were almost the Sengir Army ..."

D

Daggertooth

The name CPA sticks with you. It just sounds good.

As for my Deffinition of Casual.

Casual is going to a magic sight with an idea of doing something other than magic. Such as Argue about school violence or play an RPG game. You can't really do that at a non-casual magic site.

Casual is not having every fiber of your being sewn into magic. Most of it maby, but not all of it.

And Casual is being able to type on the computer while not in a suit.

Daggertooth

C

Chernobyl Hamster

my definition of "casual" is when you don't go to many competitions, maybe once in two months or so, and don't bring a deck to school every day. I am casual.

T

TeamRegime.com

Well Im STILL going to submit my logo proposal anyway..gimme 2 weeks and Ill post them on my site for you to voteview on...

And Im NOT trying to cause problems...jeez. Im just a dude who plays magic with gravy train aspirations and a team thats like minded.

Nicholas Knight

C

Chernobyl Hamster

whoever said you were causing trouble...after actually reading the other posts, the answer is spiderman. but ohwell. I'll go to your website in 2 weeks!

O

Ogg

I agree with NeuroDeus, I want the Black/Red/Orange back! It was much more homey and had a 'casual' feel to it. I'm still having a hard time spending long periods of time at the site due to eye strain. I usually try to avoid the sun... And the white, grey, and blue doesn't help any! Ah, well, that's my reason for not coming very often. The site went from 'Casual' to 'Sterilized'.

I'll go back to my dark corner now and stop complaining.

D

Daggertooth

I like the way it is now. Granted, I wasn't around for the orange, but from what I've seen its a bit too showy. Not casual enough.

Daggertooth

A

Almindhra

If you have a problem with our logo and NAME even, get out of here...You just joined, you have your own website...There really is no need for you to be here then...And stop criticizing this website every chance you get...

C

Chaos Turtle

CPA - Casual Players Aliance

I like it. It has a nice sound. And it's what we've been calling ourselves all along.

New Logo

Sounds like a fine idea to me.

Red Black Orange

Oh, god, please no.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Cherynobl Hamster: Apparently, you still didn't FULLY read the whole thread... :rolleyes: I said he was STIRRING up trouble, not causing it, and then my NEXT line said it all...

TeamRegime: What other Magic sites do you frequent? Do you make the same suggestions to them? I'm just curious...

All: Let's not "dog-pile" on the "new guy", just because he happens to make some suggestions people don't like to hear. Instead, try to refute his arguments.

The old color scheme is NEVER coming back; I still don't know why, but I think it's harder to maintain, developer-wise (aside from the color scheme not being "right" to begin with, site design-wise). Also, the :confused: smilie wouldn't show up right, and we wouldn't want that, would we... :p

Still think the logo is fine... :)

Killer Joe

TR is as welcomed to post his/her opinions just as much as any other new/old member here, remember, we are NOT a selective site filled with "Higher than thou" members, we are the PEOPLE who play Magic, the 'common man' so to speak, we are a community of open-minded, mature and humble constituence's of this game called .\\agic: The Gathering.
If s/he wants to suggest something then let them, do you have to agree? NO!
On Topic: TR, though I am always one to consider 'change' and mostly like it, I think we are in a constant flux about who we are, sometimes this site is pure spam (and fun spam at that), it has been a community of anti-spam (at one time), it has been a battle ground for Casual player vs the Tourney player, it has been about sharing and caring, it has also been about bloodwars (Battle Arena), it's been and will continue to evolve, and that's okay.
I don't think this site has been defined by one person only, but by a community of people who share idea's. This site isn't broken, so there's no need to fix it, however, if the will of the people on this site want a change, it'll happen, but not overnight, and certainly not by ONE person's vision.
I think it's great that you are shaking the world here, it's been damn sleepy lately (ME included), so go on, make a statement, get fired on, have a Ball (Lightning, that is :)), keep the safety lock on 'off', and say what you will, because that's what this place is about, a community where idea's are born and shared.
Glad to have you aboard, my friend! :)