Apocalypse Spoiler on MTGNEWS.COM

N

NeuroDeus

http://www.mtgnews.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=12

Follow this link to the rumors forum on Mtgnews and their you will find the Spoiler divided into the major colors gold and lands/artifacts... This time the spoiler has been submitted by crooked_rain. The spoiler looks believable and it has a lot of Cards reallying on un-allied colors...

See for yourself buddies...

C

Cateran Emperor

Some of this stuff i have heard of from my sources, but not all of it. Specifically, I know that the five X-scape Shadow creatures were in playtesting at one point. The opposing color quasi-duals were also there. The rest of it, I'm going to have to check this against my info, but it is looking plausible.

F

fuzzy510

It would appear as if someone beat shade2k1 to the punch. Where is he? Can he confirm/deny any of this?

C

Chaos Turtle

Lots of people over at MtgNews are apnning this things. here's what I wrote:

"Some notes (I don't trust this spoiler, btw)

Pack Wurm would only allow a max of 3 Pack Wurms in play (assuming constructed rules) since you'd have to sac the first one as part of it's kicker-created CIP ability.

Agnate's Vision is amazing. Simply hold onto useless crap (like extra land, mid-game Dazes, or maindecked Gainsays) and trade them for anything you want from your library. A card like this alone could resurrect Trix in extended.

Rarefy is a real word. It means, essentially, "to thin out." As in to weaken, refine, or lessen the strength/consistency of something. But...just where does one get multicolored mana, anyway?

Gaea's Hollow is very strong. Not because you get to put the creature into play (which is already great) but because you get to shuffle the other cards into your library. Combined with Brainstorm or any other draw-manipulation / library-peeking ability makes this really good.

Parallel Stones not only sounds a bit risqué, it's way past what WotC gives us in artifact mana. For the same cost and restriction of Worn Powerstone (of Broken Cycle fame) you get to make colored mana instead of colorless. Uhm, wtf?

Lots of wording problems, too, and i've only glanced at the spoiler.

So, no, no way, uh-uh, forget it."

I'm not even goingt ot bother with the other stuff unless someone can convince me that this one's real. (And good luck on that one.)

A

arhar

Mutilation 4B Uncommon
Instant
Kicker - Discard 2 cards.
Choose target player.
Destroy a creature that player controls. It can't be regenerated.
If you paid the kicker cost, Mutilation can't be countered.
42/143

What this card says in Extended and Type 1 is basically "Bury target Morphling"!!!

Oh how I wish this was in Saga Block :)

A

Apollo

I don't believe it... but here's a couple notes anyway.

Phyrexian Heretic 2B Rare
Creature - Phyrexian
Kicker - GW
If you paid Phyrexian Heretic's kicker cost, it comes into play with two +1/+1 counters, and has "for each 1 damage Phyrexian Heretic deals, gain 1 life."
3/3

Even disregarding the kicker, this is a 3/3 for 3, only one colorless. It's strictly better than Trained Armadon, which is supposed to be in the creature color. Then, you add in a half-decent kicker, and I don't buy it. It wouldn't be amazing, but it's not a card I think they'd print.

Soul Mutation 1B Rare
Enchant Creature
Kicker - Pay 4 life
Soul Mutation can't be countered.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures.
If you paid the kicker cost, enchanted creature instead gets +5/+5 and can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures.

This pretty much wins the game if played on any creature on the second turn, no? What are they going to do about it if they're not playing B/R? I don't see this one, either.

Vanish XB Rare
Sorcery
Target opponent discards X cards at random, where X is the number of basic land types among lands you control.

If X is the number of land types you control, then what is the X in the casting cost?

Frantic Fortune R Rare
Sorcery
Kicker - WU
Frantic Fortune deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
If you paid the kicker cost, Frantic Fortune instead deals 3 damage to target creature or player and you gain 3 life; draw a card.

Again, another strictly better card (this time, it's better than Shock). And the name makes no sense, and is so much like Final Fortune that it better be fake. Plus, the way it's worded here, I think you'd draw the card even without paying the kicker, and then it's just silly.

Majestic Asylum RW Rare
Enchantment
When Majestic Asylum comes into play, choose a color.
Goblins have protection from the chosen color.

It's "Majestic"? And it gives goblins protection? This doesn't make sense.

Yavamaya Specter UB Rare
Creature - Specter
Kicker - G
Flying
When Yavamaya Specter deals combat damage to an opponent, that player chooses and discards a card.
If you paid the kicker cost, Yavamaya Specter comes into play with 2 +1/+1 counters on it.
1/1

It's a 3/3 flying for 3, with the Hyppie ability. Granted, it's 3 different colors of mana, but other than that it's better than the original. And you can just plop it into play on the second turn without kicker, before your opponent can counter, and devastate their hand.

Yawgmoth's Hold 4 Rare
Artifact
Kicker - Discard 2 cards
Tap: Tap target artifact, creature or land.
If you paid the kicker cost, Yawgmoth's Hold instead has "Tap: Tap 2 target artifact creatures, and/or lands.

Is this not better than Icy? Even without the kicker?

Benalish Lagoon Uncommon
Land
When Benalish Lagoon comes into play, choose green or blue mana.
Tap: Add one mana of the chosen color to your mana pool.
Tap, Sacrifice Benalish Lagoon: Add G, U or W to your mana pool.

Parallel Terrain Rare
Land
When Parallel Terrain comes into play, choose a mana type.
Tap: Add one mana of the chosen type to your mana pool.
Tap, Sacrifice Parallel Terrain: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Draw a card.

Is the second not better in every way than the first? They aren't supposed to do this, even rares v. uncommons.

And finally, I hope that Halcyon Angel is real just because it's the other screen name I use in places where Apollo is taken. It'd be cool to have a card named after me.

D

Dark_Tira

It's really too bad. Some of the cards have a good design, but it can't be real.

Malignant Growth G Common
Instant
Target creature gets +2/+2 and becomes black until end of turn.
81/143

This card can't be real because there is already a card from Mirage called Malignant Growth.

from Crystalkeep:
Malignant Growth
Color=Multi Type=Enchantment Cost=3GU MI(R1)
Text(MI+errata): Cumulative upkeep {1}. ; At the beginning of your upkeep, put a growth counter on ~this~. ; At the beginning of each of your opponents' draw steps, that player draws a card for each growth counter on ~this~, then ~this~ deals to the player damage equals to the number of cards he or she drew this way.

T

terzarima

Halcyon was the name of the (City? Gaurds?) In the book "The Thran" Unless wizards is going back in time about 30000 years in the story line it would be utterly stupid to print that. It also mentions some really stupid Yawmoth Abilities that they would even consider printed. In my humble and honest opinion, some cards might be real, others (pardon my french) are piles of poop! (emphasis on poop!)

D

Duster

some notes on comments already posted:

Frantic Fortune is a Sorcery, which makes it much less versatile than Shock. The kicker is hard to play since it's red's opposing colors.

Vanish uses land types, not lands. (Land types are forest, plains, etc.) So if I have 8 swamps and 34 plains in play, it's still only two land types.

Halcyon is just another word for calm.

Yawgmoth's Hold is beyond words. I hope they print this, and at the same time hope they don't...

I'd say I give this spoiler about 75% credability, even though I have no sources :)

S'all for now,
Dustin

Z

Zadok001

There are a few holes in the spoiler. I'm curious, CT, what templating errors you saw. I saw one or two, but not enough to really be worrisome, and nothing beyond the normal errors I see in spoilers. Maligant Growth is problematic, and these:

Mitigate

This has a version of buyback that is a Kicker. It's phrased "If you pay the kicker cost, put Mitigate back into your hand when you play it." AFAIK, that means that, even if the spell is countered, you get to keep Mitigate. Which seemed odd to me.

Tropical Kavu

I'm almost certain that should cost 1_U_G, not 1BG. Islandwalk and Forestwalk are not befitting a black creature, and neither is the name.

The New Off-Color Lands

WotC has been following the theory of never making a land directly superior to a basic land. These, however, ARE directly superior, especially considering their sacrifice ability. So I doubt these are really being printed.

Other than that, I see nothing totally illogical. Heck, after Goblin Game... Who knows?

F

FoundationOfRancor

I agree that there are some major wholes in this spoiler.

After seeing Dark_Tira's comment about the growth, I'm betting this list is indeed fake.

However, most of these cards I would be incredibly happy with. Many of them are powerful, but not to powerful. Theres no doubt that *many* of them would drastically effect the enviroment.

I only wish Apocalypse could be like this fake spoiler.

Well, without the grammar errors:)

C

Cateran Emperor

My own inside source has apparently already seen this spoiler as well. Due to the nature of his position, I can't give you any information on him (I hope you can understand as much)

From what information he was able to send me, various incarnations of almost 80% of these cards did go through playtesting AT ONE POINT. Some of these cards are very similar to those being released. None of the cards are 100% accurate however.

C

Chaos Turtle

Mutilation

Mis-worded. If real, it would say "can't be countered by spells or abilities," and this is simply too much anyway. it would get around untargetability and protection from black. Totally unreasonable.

And since when does black get uncounterability? It's an anti-blue thing, which means it goes on green and red cards.

Phyrexian Heretic

A 3/3 in black should cost 3B minimum. Add in any ability and the minimum is 2BB. The crappy 2/2s in Destiny were 2BB. In Destiny...so c'mon, you can't expect a 3/3 for 2B without a drawback.

Soul Mutation

Ditto Apollo. Ridiculously strong early game. Kicker usually makes cards more expensive, but +2/+2 and "fear" are a bargain at 1B.

And again with "can't be countered" in black, not to mention omitting "by spells or abilities." So if the target leaves play, this does what? Comes into play anyway? Whatever.

Vanish

The ability is almost reasonable (Mike Donais stated in an article recently that Apocalypse would contain more powerful "domain" cards) but "at random" is just too much. And Domain spells wouldn't have X in the mana cost, I think. If this was 3B, I might have fallen for it, without the "random" part.

Frantic Fortune

...is just stupid. Identical to Assault (which comes with Battery) but with a kicker that just makes it ridiculous. Besides, there aren't any multicolor kickers in allied colors yet...so definitely none in opposing colors.

An I won't even mention that ridiculous goblin one.

Yavamaya Specter

Yavimaya is misspelled. Without the kicker, this is a 1/1 flying specter for UB. Too good. A G kicker would only be worth one +1/+1 counter.

Yawgmoth's Hold

Oh you have got to be kidding me. Better than Icy? It makes Icy look like Wintermoon Mesa. What idiot wouldn't pay the kicker on this thing?

Benalish Lagoon (et al)

Would have to come into play tapped to be anywhere near fair. Who would even bother with basic land? Especially with...

Parallel Terrain

Which qualifies as the best nonbasic colored-mana producing land never made. Screw City of Brass, this thing makes Reflecting Pool look like Rainbow Vale.

Malignant Growth

Aside from the obvious problem pointed out by so many others, the ability itself is silly. I can see opposing colors working together via kicker, multicolored costs, and such, but no way is green (or white, btw) going to gain the ability to make a creature black. It's a black ability, and only red (allied to black) has ever had anything like it (aside from blue's normal color-change abilities) and that was on an otherwise-crappy card.

Mitigate

Should include "...instead of into your graveyard."

It seems (to me) like someone has got ahold of some playtesting info (perhaps from an inside source, or maybe just by paying close attention to interviews and statements made by WotC employees) and come up with a very believable spoiler. This might be the best fake spoiler I've seen since the one that made the rounds for Exodus, which included (among other interesting things) opposing-color Slivers, with very reasonably-costed abilities.

So I'm saying "hats off" to whoever came up with this. Obviously a lot of work went into it, but there are just too many unbelievable things in it to pass the test for a balanced set, particularly considering the slowdown in the environment that R&D has thankfully given us.

Z

Zadok001

ACTUALLY, Mutilation is worded properly. It simply can't be countered, even by game-state rules. Why? Because it targets a PLAYER. And in normal play, if THAT target leaves play, Mutilation never resolves to care. The creature choice is made on resolution based on the wording.

Now that I look at it, this does seem like something a playtest list would look like - A few over and under powered cards, some bad names, etc... To put it very, very simply, no one has ever put this much effort into a truly fake spoiler before (with the exception of that Exodus spoiler that was so damn good), so I must conclude it has some basis in reality. How much, I don't know. A playtest list seems plausible.

It should be noted, of course, that none of these cards match the names revealed on MagicSur recently, of course.

As for Soul Mutation, honestly, that's worded in a manner that isn't TOO bad. After all, if it DID resolve regardless of target loss, it flew into the graveyard right thereafter by SBE, neh? I agree, that templating is off, but it CAN work, with a little twist or two. :)

I would guess this is at least partially true. Opposing colors have been a BIG rumor regarding Apoc.

P

Purple_jester

It might be made up, but the "spoiler" is still a nice piece of work. All that trouble and effort must have come from somewhere.

Zadok's right. None of the cards match the artworks on Magicsur. So right now, I'm working on the assumption that these cards are derived from a test list rather than pure imagination.

Too bad. Some of those cards are great.

L

Llan

Well I won't look at any lists 'til some weeks before the prereleases...

S

shade2k1

There are just too many problems with this "spoiler" to make it plausible:

1. Full spoilers don't leak out all at once.

2. I haven't received ANY believable Apocalypse info yet.

3. Card names are too inconsistant with arts from Magicsur, a reliable source of Magic info.

4. Too many "reused" card names mixed and matched.

5. Malignant Growth. Excuse me if I'm wrong on this, but it seems to me that there is already a card with this name.

6. Urza's Legacy. Sound familiar? They would not intentionally name a card after an already-released expansion (the card Apocalypse, for example, was released far before they had decided to name an expansion identically).

7. This person has never posted before this.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

on number 6, the same goes for prophecy, the card from homelands, named way before the expansion was ever concieved

C

Cateran Emperor

Spoiler's fake. I've checked it against my own preliminary spoiler info, and it simply doesn't add up.