What do you like more?

• Harry Potter Series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lord of the Rings

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
B

Bob

I have read the Harry Potter series for a few years, and I loved the books, but there was something bad about them.

They were so good, no other books compared to them.

But then a read The Hobbit. I loved it and got Lord of the Rings, and this book is fantastic!

Then I noticed some strange stuff between the villians, Sauron and Voldemort.

Both were referred to as "The Dark Lord"

Both have followers(RingWraiths/Death Eaters)

Both lost their immense power because of a small person(Gollum/Harry)

Both have magical powers(The One Ring/Adarva Kedavra)

Anway, what do you like more, HP or LOTR?

E

Elrond

The Lord of the Rings and the rest. Although my opinion is a bit lopsided seeing as how I haven't gotten around to actually reading the Harry Potter books yet.

Oh well, I'll more than likely feel the same way after reading them as I do now because Tolkien's work is the basis for our modern view on most fantasy topics such as how we view Elves and Dwarves, and that's just hard to compete with.

C

Cateran Emperor

If we laminate all of Hetemi, that would make him be quiet for once ;)

never read Harry Potter. Tried, but I couldn't get into it. LotR, Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance comprise a nice chunk of my reading material.

Z

Zadok001

LotR. Twenty years from now, it's LotR you'll remember, not Harry Potter. Trust me.

M

MrXarvox

I never got much into Lord of the Rings, but Harry potter is the sort of thing I avoid, if for any reason simply because of its popularity.

Plus LotR set a lot of precedents for later fantasy work.

C

Chaos Turtle

While giving Harry Potter's creator, J.K. Rowling, her due credit for writing an engaging and accessible series, there's no question that the grandaddy of this and virtually all other modern epic fantasy is the Middle-Earth series.

But then, anything that involves destroying something by putting it into the "Crack of Doom" wins by default. :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't read LOTR lately but probably right about now both rank equal on the list for me.

And how did Sauron lose his power to Gollum? I thought Gollum took the Ring from his buddy who found it on the riverbank.

P

Purple_jester

Sauron lost when Gollum fell into the pit of Mt. Doom with the One Ring.

And, there's no contest here. You're trying to compare THE first great fantasy epc, the father of the whole genre, with a fantasy series meant for preteen or younger children. Lord of the Rings is so good I won't even abbreviate it.

Harry Potter isn't bad. It's a good premise and a good series. It is definitely the best way to introduce the young ones into reading fantasy novels. But for tried and true fantasy gourmands like myself, Lord of the Rings has it beat by a million miles.

Of course, my first fantasy series was Chronicles. Not that it compares or anything. ;)

B

Bob

I really shouldn't vote since it's my poll, but at school, after reading LOTR, seeing all the Harry Potter books, I have to think that it doesn't even compare.

It is an awesome book. The best I ever read. Definetly. I also just started reading the Hitchhiker's trilogy. I finally understand what's so bad about Vogon poetry.

N

NeuroDeus

LOTR is the father of all... Harry Potter but are really good books and very addictive...

M

magicman_moe

lotr dude no contest man!

i still have all 4 books and i read them every once in awhile

the hobbit is badass though

so are the animated cartoon movies which are not for the average disney watching child

i.e. theres cussing ,killin, all sorts of stuff i think a buttshot was in there from one of the chicks in that series not sure thought been awhile since ive seen it

N

nanokill

Lord of the rings i would have to say.......it is a classic and a fantastic story....now a hard queston would be wheel of time or LoTR. both are similar with easy reading styles and a clear cut view of the sides of good and evil..the harry potter series had the ability to rank up to them but...as someone here said before it was broken down to "tolkien for ten year olds" simply because it was made to be a childrens story not an adult classic novel series...so there is my two cents for this post Ü

N

nanokill

those movies are gonna ROCK!!!!!!!! 1 a year....wish they wouldn't keep us waiting so long

K

krichaiushii

Personally, I enjoyed both series about the same -- though LOTR is more inspiring, as far as useful phrases and overall atmosphere go.

Have any of you read Bored of the Rings, one of Harvard's Lampoons?

A very funny book, especially if you are voting for LOTR on this poll.

Z

Zhaneel

eh, don't slap me, y'all, but i've never read the LotR series... Harry Potter was decent, easy books to get into and read in a day or so. Good hardcore fantasy it is not.