Team Set- Card Submition

• Thread starter FoundationOfRancor
  • Start date
F

FoundationOfRancor

The oringinal thread was getting awfully long, so I thought a new thread we needed...well, here we go!

Pearl Diver -Common
U
Creature- Merfolk
1/1
If Pearl Diver attacks, you may remove the top card of your oppenents library and put it into their graveyard, or put the top 3 cards of your library into your graveyard and draw a card.
My ship was assaulted by these horrible fish...luckily for us, they killed their own leader and dived back into the icy depths from which they came...
-Lorl, Ship Captain

[Hint: Im trying to set up a Spheres of Influence archtype]

Glimmer -Common
1U
Instant
Draw a card.
Target enchantment is an artifact, or target creature is an artifact creature.
After the mages spell, the monsters seemed to glow with a new gleam

Political Ties -Uncommon
2U
Enchant land
You may not play this on a land you control.
Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, draw a card.

Shiver -Common
1B
Enchantment
Whenever a creature enters play, your oppenent loses 1 life.

Anxiety -Rare
2B
Enchantment
1: Destroy target non-black creature. You may only activate this ability once per turn, and only during your upkeep.

Enchanted Ogre -Common
2R
Creature- Ogre
2/2
R: Reveal the top card of your library to all players: You may deal damage equal to that cards converted mana cost to target creature. Remove ~this~ from the game. You may only play this ability if Sulking Ogre is in your graveyard.
I was attacked by two of them myself...while parring with the remaining, the slain one erupted in a ball of fire, nearly killing me

High-Born Guard -Common
BB
Creature- Knight
2/2
When High-Born Guard comes into play, choose a creature type.
High-Born Guard has protection of the chosen creature type.

Just some common ideas for you to chew over...

[Changes have been made to balance these cards following everyones ideas. I think a new name for Enchanted Ogre is needed though, thanks for all the ideas!- FoR]

S

Sidar Jabari

Pearl Diver - good

Glimmer - good

Political Ties - It would be more fun if you had to draw a card. That way your opponent could deck you with it!

Shiver 1B
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent sucessfully casts a creature spell, they must either lose a life or put a -1/-1 counter on a creature they control.

Anxiety - good

Sulking Ogre - The name doesn't seem to fit to me. I also doubt this would be a good common, since commons are better if they are very closely tied to the flavour of the colour. It would make more sense as a rare. Also, have it remove itself from the game when it uses it's ability.

Racist Guard - Nice idea, but it's important to change the name of the card to make it less offensive.

C

Chaos Turtle

Pearl Diver
Weird, but nothing wrong with that. Reword to proper template.

Glimmer
If you want to keep the cantrip ability, it should cost 1U. Reword.

Political Ties
Interesting. Maybe remove "may." Should cost 2U.

Shiver
Choose one ability or the other, or reword and raise cost to at least 2B.

Anxiety
Make ability playable only during upkeep, once per turn, and skip the whole draw step.

Sulking Ogre
Make the ability playable only as long as Sulking Ogre is the top card on the graveyard, or remove Sulking Ogre from the game when the ability resolves.

Racist Guard
Should cost 1WW, maybe even 3W if you want to keep it splashable.

D

DÛke

Pearl Diver- Ok, whatever you say.

Glimmer-Weird, but it has an appeal. I disagree with Chaos Turtle, the ability is not strong enough to make the card cost (1U).

Political Ties - See Chaos Turtle's note. Keep the "may", though.

Shiver - See Chaos Turtle's note, in that, choose 1 of the abilities (I favor the life loss), and keep the card at (1B). A solid common.

Anxiety - Seems a bit on the edge. See Chaos Turtle's note.

Sulking Ogre - Weird as Red. Make so the Sulking Ogre is removed from the game after you use the ability…and make sure it says to use it only once.

Racist Guard - Black is the color that lets you choose creature types. Either way, Racist Guard is inferior to the Planeshift angel, Voice of All, which also has flying…and is racist against the a color of your choice; much more superior to racism against a creature type. Since Black lacks protection, I think it would be cool to have a 1B, 2/1 with that "racist" ability. Otherwise, remake the card so that it's as good (or better) than Voice of All, or even Knight of Dawn.

My turn:

Trance (2U)(Uncommon)
Instant
Use Trance only at the beginning of your upkeep step. Draw 2 cards.
You can't play Blue spells this turn.

Call Forth the Heavens (3W)(Rare)
Instant
Gain 8 life.
If you were dealt 8 or more damage this turn, you may set your life to 20 instead.

Blossom (G)(Common)
Sorcery
Put a land card from your hand into play tapped, under your control.

Force Elemental (1UU)(3/3)(Rare)
Creature - Elemental
Spells cost 1 more to play.

Grind (XU)(Common)
Instant
Remove the top X cards of target player's library from the game.

Misjudge (U)(Common)
Sorcery
Counter the first spell target opponent casts on his or her next turn.

N

NeuroDeus

Soul Generator - R
Artifact
T, Pay X Life,Tap a non-artifact creature you control : Add X mana of any one color to your mana pool. You may not pay more than 5 life each turn.

Reaper of the Dead - R
3BB
Creature - Evil Spirit
*/3
Reaper of the Dead's power equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards. If a creature with flying is in a graveyard Reaper of the Dead gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature from your graveyard from play: Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.

Lily Pad Dancers - C
2WG
Creature - Faerie
1/1
Flying. Whenever Lily Pad Dancers is dealt damage by a creature with flying that damage is prevented.
GW,Sacrifice Lily Pad Dancers : Search your library for an artifact card and put it into your hand.

Air Superiority - R
2UU
Enchantment
Creatures with flying you control gain +2/+1. Creatures without flying you control get -2/-1. Whenever Air Superiority is put into a graveyard from play creatures with flying you control get -2/-1.

Tyranny's Stronghold R
Legendary Land
Whenever you play a basic land return Tyranny's Stronghold to its owner's hand and it deals 1 damage to you.
Whenever a creature is tapped, Tyranny's Stronghold deals 1 damage to it. That creature does not untap during its next untap phase.

Keeper of Light - U
3W
Creature - Keeper
3/1
Flying
Whenever Keeper of Faith is dealt damage you may redirect it to target creature you control.
2W,T: Untap target white creature you control.

Keeper of Hope - U
3W
Creature - Keeper
2/2
Flying
Whenever a white creature is untapped when targeted by an ability you control you may have that creature gain +2/+0.
2W,T: Shuffle your library. You may pay W during your next upkeep to draw a card.

Keeper of Life - U
3W
Creature - Keeper
1/3
Flying
For every 1 damage dealt to Keeper of Life you gain 1 life.
2W,T: Put target card from your graveyard to the bottom of your library.

Skyrider Dragon - R
2RR
Creature - Dragon
1/3
Flying
R : Skyrider Dragon gets +1/+0 until end of turn. If you spend more than RRRR, Skyrider Dragon gets an additional +2/+2 until end of turn.
{A sort of 7/5 flying creature for 2RRRRRR which is equal to 8 converted mana. Not that bad mostly when you have to pay the RRRR each turn to get the Super Mega Dragon boost}

Trained Lion - U
2WW
Creature - Lion
4/2
First Strike
1: Trained Lion gets +0/+1 until end of turn. If you spend more than 3, Trained Lion gets an additional +3/+0 until end of turn.

Barkovian Dragon - R
6RG
Creature - Dragon
15/4
Flying
Play Barkovian Dragon-Wurm only if you control at least 7 lands. Barkovian Dragon gets -1/+1 for every land and artifact you control.

Servant of Hate - U
BBB
Creature - Minion
3/4
When Servant of Hate comes into play if you don't control at least 3 swamps destroy it and it deals 1 damage to you. Servant of Hate may not be the target of spells or abilities you control.
"Hatred keeps me alive - Ubrik, First Servant of Hate"

Lesser Minotaur - C
2RR
Creature - Minotaur
2/3
Haste, First Strike.

Torrid Waters - C
U
Sorcery
Destroy X Islands. Put X 1/1 blue Merfolk tokens into play.

Zombie Graveyard - R
3B
Enchantment
If at the end of your turn you don't control at least one Zombie Token, Zombie Graveyard deals 1 damage to you.
Sacrifice a creature: Put a 2/2 Zombie Token into play that counts as black creatures.

The Brewery - U
Artifact
T:Gain 3 life. At the end of your turn you lose 2 life.

Breath of Fire - C
R
Instant
Breath of Fire deals 1 damage to target creature. You may choose instead to deal 4 damage to target creature and 4 damage to you.

Unholy Armor - R
Artifact Creature
*/*
When Unholy Armor comes into play remove from the game a creature you control. Unholy Armor's power is equal to that creature's power plus three. Unholy Armor's toughness is equal to that creature's toughness plus three. When Unholy Armor is removed from play return that creature into play tapped.

Flight of Stairs - R
Land
T:Add one colorless mana to your mana pool.
When Flight of Stairs comes into play pay 3 or Flight of Stairs is sacrificed. During your upkeep choose a land in play with no Lost Counters on it and put one Lost Counter on that land. That land may not untap during its controller untap step if it has a Lost Counter on it. If Flight of Stair has a Lost Counter on it destroy it and remove all Lost Counters.

Archers of Pride - C
1WW
Creature - Soldier
1/2
T:Archers of Pride deals 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.
T:Archers of Pride deals 1 damage to target creature.

Fairie War Gathering - U
5UUU
Creature - Fairie
10/10
Flying.
Whenever Fairie War Gathering attacks, blocks or is blocked put a -1/-1 token on Fairie War Gathering.

Werewolf Enchant - C
1B
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains +2/+0, first strike and becomes black and becomes a creature of type Werewolf.

Wrath of the Archangel - R
1WW
Sorcery
Destroy all white creatures in play. They cannot be regenerated.

Old + New Cards

N

NeuroDeus

Forbidden Elemental - Everybody's spells or the ones you control ?

Grind - Make it XUU as it is too powerful...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Rend
2BB
Instant
Destroy target non-black non-artifact creature. Its controller discards cards equal to its toughness.

Spectral Asylum
W
Instant
For each different color among creatures in play, gain 1 life.

Static Bolt
1RR
Instant
Static Bolt deals X damage to each of 4 - X target creatures and/or players.

That's all I can think of right now...

BTW, we probably shouldn't bring up old cards here - wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

C

Chaos Turtle

Racist Guard (addendum)
I agree that this card is more appropriate to black. As-submitted, it should cost 1BB.

Trance
Interesting, probably just as fair if you let it be played anytime during your upkeep.

Call Forth the Heavens
Cost 2WW.

Blossom
Add, 'Draw a Card.' OR the land comes into play untapped.

Force Elemental
This is just on the edge of being undercosted. You might get away with it though.

Grind
Evil. Make it XUU at least, make it a sorcery, and put the cards into the graveyard.

Misjudge
Asks a lot of the rules. Basically a horrible Orim's Chant. Fixing it makes a card that closely resembles Hesitation.

Soul Generator
Interesting. No sugegetions, but I think it could be reworked a bit.

Reaper of the Dead
Okay I think.

Lily Pad Dancers
Weird. Probably shouldn't be Faeries (blue). Just say "Protection from creatures with flying." Consider making it W/U as the abilities as-submitted fit this color combo better.

Air Superiority
Strange. Needs to say "until end of turn) for the leaves-play ability.

Tyranny's Stronghold
Very powerful for a land. No recommendations.

Keeper of Light
Needs rewording for the redirection ability. Make like en-Kor, or like Oracle's Attendants (but in reverse).

Keeper of Hope
You mean if an ability like Keeper of Light's untaps a white creature? Okay, sure. Drawing a card, though? Make the activation U, and okay.

Keeper of Life
Okay if you lose the "Informer" ability. If you keep it, needs to cost at least 2WW, maybe 3WW.

Skyrider Dragon
Ridiculously strong. Make it die at end of turn if it gets the +2/+2 bonus, and probably it's still way too good, so also rais the cost by 1.

Trained Lion
Obscene. A 4/2 first strike for 4 is already incredible. The pump and pump-bonus is outrageous. As submitted, would have to cost a minimum of 4WW.

Barkovian Dragon
8 Lands = 7/12 flyer for 8 mana.
7 Lands + 1 Artifact = same.
7 Lands and 1 Elf/Birds = 8/11 flyer for 8 mana.
Ouch.

Torrid Waters
Cost XU, and probably still not a good idea to give blue even this much landkill. The Merfolk Tokens should go to the Islands' controller, else this card is much too strong against blue.

Flight of Stairs
Way too good. Immobilizes opponents in short order,leaving you free to do as you please for several turns.

Archers of Pride
Drop the 2nd ability, or add U to the mana cost.

Faerie War Gathering
Please tell me you are kidding. If it gets into play, you win.

Werewolf Enchant
Neat idea... I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before...

Wrath of the Archangel
Well, okay. Not likely to ever get used though.

Rend
Very mean, too good against creatures with high toughness. perhaps only discard 1 card? Should be a sorcery.

Spectral Asylum
Okay.

Static Bolt
"Choose one -- Static Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player, OR 2 damage to each of two target creatures or players, OR 1 damage to each of three target creatures or players." Should cost 2RR.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Racist Guard: How about "High-Born Guard" instead? It should probably lose first strike and stay at 1B. Other than that, it's fine. (Remember, this thing could gain protection from whatever type Blastoderm is.)

Lily Pad Dancers should not have Protection from creatures with flying, as that would make it unblockable except by stuff like Giant Spider.

Barkovian Dragon should be 12/1 or something.

For Shiver, does your opponent get to choose? If not, choose the life loss.

Everything else should follow what has already been said.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Torrid waters:
Should be "sacrifice X islands, put blah blah tokens into play"

Rend:
I agree with Chaos Turtle, however I like the toughness ability. Maybe another card could be made to do the discard thing?

Force Elemental:
Reword it to "Spells you play cost an additional 1"

Grind:
I say leave it Instant and make it "into the graveyard", however I think that it should cost 2UX, or at least UUX, if not this card will be way better than Denying Wind and Millstone. I also think this should be an uncommon or a rare.

And kudos to Duke for Calling the Heavens, an awesome card.

Just a note to everyone, lets try to keep each submition of cards under 8 cards, and all new cards [Not old ones that have already been commented on]

However, if there is a card that anyone thinks needs revision, post it here with your ideas or create a new thread about it!

Good job so far everyone!

Anyway, just some more ideas for cards:

Hidden Werewolf -Common/Uncommon
2B
Creature- Townsfolk
1/2
2B: This creature is now a 4/4 instead of its normal power and toughness, and now counts as a werewolf.

Stand of Courage -Common
G
Instant
Target blocking creature gains +3+5 untill end of turn.

Emerald Jjinn -Rare
2GG
Creature- Jjinn
During your oppenents upkeep, target creature of their choice gains forestwalk.
T: Untill end of turn, spells you play cost G less to play.
4/3

Ocean Mentor -Uncommon
3UU
Creature- Merfolk
During your upkeep, draw a card.
1/3

Hidden Werewolf:
Might be a little weak, its a little bette than a 5/5 dude with upkeep 2B.

Stand of Courage:
Anti-Blastoderm, and is as balanced as giant growth.

Emerald Jjinn:
I dont know what to think of this card....

Ocean Mentor:
Look at Howling Mine and/or that blue enchantment from nemesis while thinking about this card.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

So you're saying that something like this-

1B
Creature
5/5
During your upkeep, pay 2B or sacrifice this

-is worse than Hidden Werewolf, which is still too weak??? Am I missing something, or is there a serious problem here?

At the very least it should be something like-

Hidden Werewolf
1B
1/2
2B, Sacrifice a creature: Hidden Werewolf becomes a 5/5 Werewolf until end of turn.

-but even this could be considered too powerful.

Rend should probably cost 3BB and be a sorcery, if you consider it to be so overpowering in its present state.

The rest of the cards look fine, although they could stand to undergo some templating...

C

Chaos Turtle

So everyone understands my methodology... I won't comment at all on card names, or anything except mana costs, abilities, and P/T's (or card types occasionally, if it's really merited, like instant-speed discard or sorceries trying to counter spells). I also won't mess with templating (unless it's really bad; then I'll say "reword"). Templating can be done as a final step, which I'll be happy to participate in when the time comes.

If I don't comment at all, it means I think it's fine as-is.
As always, these are just my opinions. Feel free to disregard them; I don't mind. ;)

So...

recap

Rend
If you really want to discard based on toughness, make it 3BB and a sorcery.

Hidden Werewolf
"Hidden Werewolf gets +4/+3 and is a Werewolf until end of turn."
This should cost more than 2B to activate. For 2B, give it +2/+1 and is a Werwolf. The card's mana cost should also be 2B.
(note: If you're going to do a lot of this tyope of stuff, I'd recommend "Lycanthrope" as the creature type.)

Stand of Courage
Either cost it as 1G or make the bonus lower (+4/+4, or +3/+5 if you want to be 'different').

Ocean Mentor
On the edge. Make it "At the beginning of your draw step..." so as to avoid combinations with draw-step-skipping effects.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

... so that no one accidentally uses the first versions.

Rend
3BB
Sorcery
Destroy target non-black non-artifact creature. Its controller discards cards equal to its toughness.
(I do like this card and I want to keep it as it is, so I am willing to change it according to Chaos Turtle's specifications. I might even be persuaded to change it to 4BB.

Spectral Asylum
W
Instant
For each different color among creatures in play, gain 1 life.

Static Bolt
2RR
Instant
Choose one -- Static Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player; or Static Bolt deals 2 damage to each of two target creatures and/or players; or Static Bolt deals 1 damage to each of three target creatures and/or players.
(It's essentially a souped up Arc Lightning.)

If Barkovian Dragon had a toughness of 0, would it die immediately when it came into play? If not, make it 12/0. If so, maybe 11/1.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Thallid:
The way your doing it now, your supposed to go back and just edit the original cards to make them balanced, thats what I did. Also, when talking about a cards balance, dont actually submit a balanced version, just say what changes you would like made...I think. That ok?

Hidden Werewolf:
You guys are right, its really powerful.

Stand of Courage:
Why do you think the cc should be higher or the pump lower CT? If it can only be played on blocking creatures, I dont see the problem. (I think im missing something though...)

Ocean Mentor:
Actually, I made he ability trigger during your upkeep, because I wanted it to combo with draw-skipping effects...its not gonna be broken at 3UU. If anything, its just gonna be a "balanced combo"...your thoughts?

Static Bolt:
So in one scenario, you can deal four damage (Deal 2 damage to 2 creatures) for 2RR....this may merit a cc at 4R, but I think its ok as is....sligh is gonna rock in this set...:)

Rend:
A black sorcry from MM let you destory a non-black, non-artifact creature, and then gain life equal to its power..the cc was 3BB. This card is better...but, no one really played the MM black sorcery. And raising the CC to 4BB would make it cost just to much, it wouldnt be worth the affect. So I say it stays, but its on the edge. I reall like the ability though....

F

FoundationOfRancor

Everlasting Dead -Uncommon
3B
Creature- Zombie
2/3
If Everlasting Dead is put into your graveyard from play, you may pay 1 life and return Everlasting Dead to your hand at end of turn.

Wicked Betrayal -Rare
3RR (The color is up for grabs here...)
Enchantment
During each players upkeep, that player chooses a card at random from his or her opponents hand and sets it aside face up. The chooser may play that card as though it were in his or her hand, without paying the mana cost. If the chooser does not play the card by end of turn, bury that card and all players are dealt 2 damage.

-Needs re-wording by someone who knows what there doing!

Amber Rune (Formerly FoxFire) -Uncommon
3R
Enchantment
Whenever a creature or player is damaged by a red spell, Foxfire deals one damage to target creature or player

Trade Off -Rare
3UU
Sorcery
Simultaneously, return all non-land permanents in play to their owners hand, and put all permanents from players hands into play under their control.

C

Chaos Turtle

(recap)

Stand of Courage
Using Giant Growth as a base line, I think that restricting the use to blockers-only is only worth +1/+1.

Ocean Mentor
If that's what you want it to do, then I'm okay with it. ;) I'm not so concerned abouit the combo as I am about the "draw a card" for 3UU. but since no one ever plays with Heightened Awareness, and since creatures are easier to kill than enchantments, I guess it's not so bad.

Rend
Fine at 3BB.

Barkovian Dragon
Won't die if printed toughness is zero, assuming the text requiring you to have land in play stays.

Everlasting Dead
You mean 1 mana I assume? I think 1 life would be better. If 1 mana, must reword (add "if you do" in case the player is tapped-out) and cost should be 3B.

Wicked Betrayal
This is a blue ability. Recost at 2RU or 3RU.
Intriguing card, btw. In fact, I'd like it even better as 3BU, with life loss instead of damage.

Foxire
(Name has already been taken.)
"Whenever a creature or player is damaged by a red spell, Foxfire deals one damage to target creature or player."
Drop the "may."

Trade Off
Needs rewording ("...players set aside their hands, then..." but it works okay. May even be okay at 3UU.

F

Firestorm

Galavanting Monkies(sp?) - Rare
2G
When Galavanting Monkeys comes into play, you may search you library for up to 3 Galavanting Monkies cards.
Can only be blocked by creatures with flying, protection from Black, First Strike.
2/1

C

Chaos Turtle

Galavanting Monkies
Horribly undercosted. (Skyshroud Sentinel is a vanilla 1/1 for 2G with the "Pack Hunt" ability.)
For all that you get, needs to be 3GG or 4G.

N

Nifallor Ruler of Kairon

So little green

Colorfull Apes
4GG
2/3
WW: Colorfull Apes gain +0/+1 until end of turn
UU: Colorfull Apes gain flying
BB: Regeneration
RR: Firebreathing
GG: Trample

F

FoundationOfRancor

CT:

Stand of Courage:
This is actually turning out to be a unique card after our tweaking.

Ocean Mentor:
My thoughts exactly. No one played Heightened Awareness, and creatures are easier to kill anyway...

Everlasting Dead:
Im going to make the cost 1 life, the cc 3B, and the p/t 2/3.

Wicked Betrayal :
I really want this to be a mono-red card, but realistically its not going to be. So I dont really care what multi-color it is, thats up for you guys to decide!

Foxfire:
Damn! I loved this name too!

Trade Off:
3UU? If you say so...(It does need re-wording, desperatly)

Galavanting Monkies:
Change cc to 4G, make sure it says specifically that the cards go to your hand, Drop the flying thing and make it a 2/2.

Colorfull Apes:
A green tek that is actually good? Excellent...